+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gearing after Experts...

Default Gearing after Experts...

Do I mix and match crafted with the Mark of Ascension gear so I get bonuses from both sets, and if so, which pieces should I be going for first?.

Been away for a while and have so many noob questions

I would love any answer to this also. Your logic sounds like a good idea...but the end game is all so new to me that I am eeking my way through trying not to make to many tragic mistakes!
    "I will never fail you. I will never abandon you." So we can say with confidence, "The LORD is my helper, so I will have no fear..." Hebrews 13: 5-6

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Back in the day, I think I did HK boots/belt/gloves/helm + crafted chest/shoulders/ring (I had a Darkling and Soultaker forever). The two combined set bonuses were nice until I started needing the extra focus.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Plane Walker

As a new 50 mage you should get the crafted Tormentor's chest, shoulders and ring, and maybe the staff, the 3-piece Tormentor's bonus is strong, 4-piece is meh. Tormentor's gear is about as good as the first raid tier.

If you are really really rich, there's very high level crafted weapons and rings made out of items that drop in Infernal Dawn - Dagger - Ring - but we're talking a few K plat for the materials.

Also you will need many many Inscribed Sourcestones, you can get these from zone events, instant adventures, conquest, other places. You will need them for resistance cores, you will need water resist first, it's required for the last 3 bosses of hammerknell. After that you will want a fire core and an earth core for Infernal Dawn.

I would never spend quest bonuses on MoA. Those will come with clearing those dungeons. Make sure you're clearing gsb, ros, go, and dh once a week. You should have all your mark gear from those very fast. Spend your quest weeklies and random dungeon bonuses on GMoA to get HK rdy. Once you're into HK start spending your weekly bonuses and random dungeon bonuses on IMoA.

As far as set bonuses you really want the HK crystal as fast as possible. Even if its just the 2 piece
    Formerly Manwitch.... 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 3/4 GA

Shadowlander

Well, why not get two set bonuses? It would make sense to me to get two different, but useful set bonuses until you need the focus. If you're going to use the 4 pieces of tormentor's gear, the extra fire damage has great synergy with pyro and pyrolock specs. Just know that once you start getting your blighted gear, you're going to end up needing more focus for Hammerknell. Once you hit HK level gear, the crafted pieces are not going to be as good as the dropped pieces and the vendor pieces. You COULD potentially use the shoulders still and put death/water resist runes on it for further survivability.

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by staTic09 View Post
    Well, why not get two set bonuses? It would make sense to me to get two different, but useful set bonuses until you need the focus. If you're going to use the 4 pieces of tormentor's gear, the extra fire damage has great synergy with pyro and pyrolock specs. Just know that once you start getting your blighted gear, you're going to end up needing more focus for Hammerknell. Once you hit HK level gear, the crafted pieces are not going to be as good as the dropped pieces and the vendor pieces. You COULD potentially use the shoulders still and put death/water resist runes on it for further survivability.
    I'd at least go for 3 piece Tormentor/4 piece HK. The damage proc is abysmal and I'm not sure it would justifiably scale with even pyro bonuses. You can easily obtain better MH/OH combinations or staffs with more SP (Staff of the Inevitable is a pretty frequent drop, IIRC, and you can always go for a Darkling Skull).

The crafted pieces actually can last you quite a while and you should just hold on to them for runing for resists later on.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Quote Originally Posted by BrownsMageNerfDelivery View Post
    I'd at least go for 3 piece Tormentor/4 piece HK. The damage proc is abysmal and I'm not sure it would justifiably scale with even pyro bonuses. You can easily obtain better MH/OH combinations or staffs with more SP (Staff of the Inevitable is a pretty frequent drop, IIRC, and you can always go for a Darkling Skull).

The crafted pieces actually can last you quite a while and you should just hold on to them for runing for resists later on.
    This, the tormenter staff I replaced pretty quickly but the rest of the set I had for a while due to set bonuses.

Ascendant

I just leveled a rogue and I guess it's about the same. Get the 3 piece crafted set (or 4 pieces). Run your expert dailies/raid weeklies and get the Greater Marks of Ascension as rewards to get your 4 piece of HK gear as soon as possible. With a bit of luck in drops and rolls you should get good enough gear to help you without even having to spend MoAs on anything. It's what I did and ended up having to spend MoA on the legs only (and if you pvp the rank 50 stuff is about as good). I cashed the rest for PA exp.

Took me 3 weeks to be HK ready, 4 weeks to get the 4pc set bonus. But yes, you'll need to put some plat in probably so you're pulling your weight in t1 raids.

+ Reply to Thread