+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions of a ''diifferent'' new PvE mage.

Default Questions of a ''diifferent'' new PvE mage.

I'm a newly 50-ed mage in Blightweald EU and I have some questions concerning the specs I should have.

My main is a Chloro/Pyro 51/15, that I have thoroughly searched in forums guides and through my ''experience'' while leveling inside instances. I just purely love it.

My other spec is a custom/fun Storm/Dom, just to annoy people (when im not dead in 2 hits).

The 3rd spec is the problem. My questions and thoughts are:
    Should it be a secondary healing spec? More raid-orientated or something similar per se?
    Should it be support-ish? And if yes, what classes?
    Should it be DPS? (im leaning towards this)

My problems with being a DPS is that all I'm seeing are Pyrolocks, full pyros or full locks.
    I was wondering if there is any other viable (not necesarilly topping everything, but viable nonetheless) DPS spec.
    My personal favorite is stormcaller, yet I do realise it is AOE orientated (unforunately).
    I really like necromancer too coz of the pets, but I dislike the thought of a dot class.

I would love your suggestions and ideas.
    spaghetti. KFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagjer View Post
    I'm a newly 50-ed mage in Blightweald EU and I have some questions concerning the specs I should have.

My main is a Chloro/Pyro 51/15, that I have thoroughly searched in forums guides and through my ''experience'' while leveling inside instances. I just purely love it.

My other spec is a custom/fun Storm/Dom, just to annoy people (when im not dead in 2 hits).

The 3rd spec is the problem. My questions and thoughts are:
    Should it be a secondary healing spec? More raid-orientated or something similar per se?
    Should it be support-ish? And if yes, what classes?
    Should it be DPS? (im leaning towards this)

My problems with being a DPS is that all I'm seeing are Pyrolocks, full pyros or full locks.
    I was wondering if there is any other viable (not necesarilly topping everything, but viable nonetheless) DPS spec.
    My personal favorite is stormcaller, yet I do realise it is AOE orientated (unforunately).
    I really like necromancer too coz of the pets, but I dislike the thought of a dot class.

I would love your suggestions and ideas.
    28/38 and 36/30 pyrolock builds are the only ways to top charts at the moment for single target. Using anything else in ST fights would require either flexible raid leadership or somewhat outgeared content.

That said, the following are viable raid DPS specs (you will at least be able to compete with clerics for ST):

35/31 SC/Pyro
    51 Pyro (with 13 Lock)
    51 Lock (with 6 Pyro I imagine)
    And I think there's a 51 Ele build that does ok but not sure how it compares to those.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 08-01-2012 at 01:56 PM.

And here I am, wondering if I clearly stated that I dont want a top build (since I despise everything not of personal taste) instead of a simply viable one.

That's the reason I'm maining a healing spec. No competition except survival.

To make it more clear, I dont want a pyrolock, or a 51 pyro OR lock spec.
    Anyway thanks for the feedback.
    spaghetti. KFC.

Ascendant

I would lean towards getting a pure DPS spec. You may not play it often, but it can be key for when you have too many healers.

The 35/31 Stormcaller/Pyro spec is a Stormcaller spec, so it fits your guidelines. The only fire spell you ever cast is FlameBolt every 10s, everything else is SC.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Caelem -- Warrior Tank/DPS
    Carinae -- Mage Alt
    Greybriar -- <Last Attempt> 9/9 T1, 2/4 GA, 1/4 IG, 1/5 PBB

Why 35/31 and not 36/30 stormcaller/pyro?

Ascendant

The roles you should have to be an effective Mage raider... In order of importance.

Support -- 51 archon (any Variant)
    Main Heals -- 51 Chloro (51/x/x)
    Raid Heals -- 3x/3x Chloro/(pryo/lock/sc)
    DPS -- Whatever you like (pyrolock is best followed by 51 pyro/51lock)

other 2 are open... i personally have 2 dps variations a 36/30 pyrolock and an aoe SC spec

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Aguni View Post
    I do 35/31 to take pyromancer armor, it's more fun than another 1% water damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguni View Post
    The 1 more point in Burning Bright gives you more damage from keeping up Flame Bolt, than 1% more water damage in SC would give you. But if you want to pick up Ride the Wind it could be worth going 36/30.

I am currently trying out a storm pyro 34/32 and Im really liking it.
    Other than that, I made a 51lock spec which seems interesting though I cant get the void bolt macro to work.
    Something is wrong with its cast sequence since it is only spamming void both.

The macro is:
    #show Void Bolt
    Supressmacrofailures

Cast Void Bolt
    Cast Draining Bolt
    Cast Flame Bolt
    Cast Neddra's Grasp
    cast Dark Fury
    Cast Burning shield

Thanks for the feedback guys
    spaghetti. KFC.

Telaran

You can't put so many spells without CDs in 1 macro. You can't cast: Void Bolt -> DB -> FB and so on, due to VDs no Cooldown.

PS

This macro is fine. I've been using 51 lock for a while. All you have to do is to put Life Leech -> Dark Touch -> Necrosis -> Defile -> spam Voidbolt macro and resfresh DoTs.

The rest of the spells in this particular mac is for fights where you have to move a lot. (example, Akylios fight).
    As you can see Draining Bolt, Flame Bolt, Neddra's Grasp, Dark Fury, Burning Shield - these spells have no casting time.
    You can spam this macro while moving to keep up your dps.

51 lock is effective only in fights where you can stay in 1 place, don't move and spam Void Bolts.
    Last edited by Mejaia; 08-03-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Sagjer View Post
    I am currently trying out a storm pyro 34/32 and Im really liking it.
    Other than that, I made a 51lock spec which seems interesting though I cant get the void bolt macro to work.
    Something is wrong with its cast sequence since it is only spamming void both.

The macro is:
    #show Void Bolt
    Supressmacrofailures

Cast Void Bolt
    Cast Draining Bolt
    Cast Flame Bolt
    Cast Neddra's Grasp
    cast Dark Fury
    Cast Burning shield

Thanks for the feedback guys
    VB has no cooldown, therefore its always available, therefore you will always cast it. The only time this macro would do anything other than VB would be if you are running.

If im honest, this is a horrible macro and i dont know why anyone would use it - nor do i have a clue why you would macro a shield. I can only guess you found this in a guide somewhere and didnt notice that it said this macro was to cover you in case you have to move to minimise dps loss.

51 lock needs about 6 buttons tops, just individual keybind them. The only macro you need is one with SL and ED for the damage buffs.

indeed, i found it in a guide, saying about movement.
    I have never played lock before so I wasnt sure how many keys it needs
    It does seem a little boring, truth be told :P

I will keep on searching then.
    spaghetti. KFC.

dbe
    General of Telara

At the fresh-50 level you can do just fine with Stormcaller. I use 46/10/10 SC/lock/pyro and the single-targe dps is as good as 51 warlock. You have spark of life and static discharge for some utility, but you probably get better utility from any other mage spec (but nowhere near as good aoe).

It's *a little* movement-friendly, if you know the movement is coming, because cloudburst is instant and good dps, if you don't consume your stacks of electrified. The rotation is basically:

3x thunderbolt
    ice shear
    lightning burst (only with 3 stacks of electrified)
    icicle when instant procs

Toggle on static flux for LB and icicle *always*, you'll have charge for some TBs as well, but if you're under 40% don't use it on thunderbolt. And don't let it cap.

The only macro you need is to put cloudburst on your TB button for movement. If you know you have some running to do, keep ice shear and 3 stacks up, and just spam cloudburst.

You can refresh ice shear every cycle, or only after it runs out. If you refresh every cycle, you waste its duration, and if you refresh after it runs out, you have thunderbolt and icicle hitting without it up, since you only want to refresh it at 3 stacks, so either way it's not perfect. In tests I've seen very little dps difference either way.

Don't macro in raging storm. Use it only when you have 0 electrified stacks and know you won't have to move for the duration.

Shadowlander

There are some good Stormcaller guides around that have helped me a lot with the spec. I find the spec awesome as I can out-DPS warriors and rogues in AoE damage, and still put up decent Single-target damage. The rotation isn't nearly as hard as it seems...

Single-Target:
    open it up with Raging Storm to build up the 3 stacks of Electricity on your target
    Ice Shear will give you a DPS boost, so tap that button next.
    You should now have an instant cast Icicle to use which will hit like a truck.
    Now you should spam Lightning Field on your target for roughly 5 or 6 seconds

At this point your stacks of electricity should be running out, which is when you cast Thunderbolt to refresh the timers, hit Ice Shear and tap that awesome instant Icicle. Keep spamming Lightning Field after.

Use Static Flux during the spam as that is where most of your DPS will reside. Toggle off for the Electricity/Hypothermia refresh. Use Static Discharge towards the end of the fight.. all the ranged will love you!

Most people will tell you to spam Cloudburst with Stormcaller. I actually use to use Cloudburst as well until a really awesome mage pointed me toward spamming Lightning Field instead. He mentioned something I didn't realize.. and that's the higher crit chance Lightning Field has over Cloudburst. This did indeed improve my DPS by a couple hundred.

AoE works the same way as Single Target... only difference is the AoE spells used instead of Single Target. Use Forked Lightning to get your electricity stacks, use Arctic Blast and/or Hailstorm for the hypothermia, then tap lightning field a few times.

If you have 3+ targets, hit Lightning Field only once. If you have 2 targets, hit it three times. One target=ST, so obviously use the ST rotation.

This was just a very quick write-up on the rotation. There's some finer points that I didn't include to keep it simple. Spec offers competitive DPS, awesome AoE, and great mobility. Plus it's fun to use electricity on people :P
    Last edited by staTic09; 08-06-2012 at 11:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread