+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mr3onion

Thread: Necromancer DPS

Default Necromancer DPS

Is it viable for endgame? Cause I tried rolling with a 51 Necro/15 Warlock/0 Archon spec and I was doing a steady 1k DPS on dummies (my gear isn't very good - it's all gear from Experts and Plaques), which is about 200 more than I was doing on Pyrolock, but in actual experts I'm having trouble breaking 600 DPS; it could be that I always get gogo tanks that never stop moving so I can't stand still long enough to get a lot of casting off in most cases, though. :/

Any suggestions on what build/rotation I should be using for Necromancer? Or should I switch to another DPS spec (I like having multiple DPS specs to switch up my playstyle every now and then)? This is my usual rotation...

Searing Vitality -> 5x Pillaging Stone -> Neddra's Torture -> Looming Demise -> Necrosis -> Dark Touch -> Life Leech -> Last Gasp -> Plague Bolt (whenever Epidemic procs)

After the initial rotation, I focus on keeping DoTs up and using Plague Bolt whenever Epidemic procs.

For my pet, I use the Skeletal Zealot. Typical cooldowns I use are Lich Form and Mass Grave, and I try to use my Charge on Soul Purge whenever I can.

Wolfsbane
    Benadictus - 50 Cleric (Duracell/Wardinel/Inquis/Druid)

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Zacewing View Post
    Is it viable for endgame? Cause I tried rolling with a 51 Necro/15 Warlock/0 Archon spec and I was doing a steady 1k DPS on dummies (my gear isn't very good - it's all gear from Experts and Plaques), which is about 200 more than I was doing on Pyrolock, but in actual experts I'm having trouble breaking 600 DPS; it could be that I always get gogo tanks that never stop moving so I can't stand still long enough to get a lot of casting off in most cases, though. :/

Any suggestions on what build/rotation I should be using for Necromancer? Or should I switch to another DPS spec (I like having multiple DPS specs to switch up my playstyle every now and then)? This is my usual rotation...

Searing Vitality -> 5x Pillaging Stone -> Neddra's Torture -> Looming Demise -> Necrosis -> Dark Touch -> Life Leech -> Last Gasp -> Plague Bolt (whenever Epidemic procs)

After the initial rotation, I focus on keeping DoTs up and using Plague Bolt whenever Epidemic procs.

For my pet, I use the Skeletal Zealot. Typical cooldowns I use are Lich Form and Mass Grave, and I try to use my Charge on Soul Purge whenever I can.
    51 necro is a lost cause atm in terms of raid dps. All other souls can atleast reach 3,5-4k in id gear but 51 necro is just insanely bad atm.

However that is in end game and alot of it has to do with that the Synergy crystal u will get later if u start raiding is so bad and that its a pet class that doesnt scale that well.

So when u are running experts it is probably decent or even better than a more standard spec, but once u start gaining spellpower u will "outgear" ur pets and then u will get a crystal which is just superbad. So if ur planning on learning a spec for the future 51 necro wont be it (If they dont change it in Storm Legion) but in ur position it might be ok.

As for the rotation u can just check which instants are enough damage to "outdamage" plague bolt. Remember to refresh Life Leech with Void bolt. But the biggest thing is ur cds. U have Lich form, Mass Grave, Empty the Crypts and Lich form (and Exhume). The summon time on the cds are too long so u want to use Exhume before using a cd. So the rotation should be something like:

1. Lich Form ---> Exhume --> Mass Grave
    2. Normal rotation
    3. Exhume --> Empty the crypts
    4. Normal rotation
    5. Start over

Are there any other Necro specs that could work besides 51 Necro? Or would Warlock be a better choice?

I just thought Necros were good cause I saw a lot of people using it, and some people told me they can do 4k+ DPS if you know the rotation well and have the right gear, so...yeah.

Wolfsbane

Ascendant

you might see a lot of people using necro for solo play, IA and zones events it is a great soul for open world content but you wont find them in raids, they are simply not viable - the pets scale terribly and spells simply don't hit hard enough.

I mostly saw people using it in 5 mans, actually. :S

Wolfsbane

Default Dr. NecroLock, or, "How I Learned to Not Be Afraid of Average DPS and Love the SP"

Quote Originally Posted by mr3onion View Post
    51 necro is a lost cause atm in terms of raid dps. All other souls can atleast reach 3,5-4k in id gear but 51 necro is just insanely bad atm.

However that is in end game and alot of it has to do with that the Synergy crystal u will get later if u start raiding is so bad and that its a pet class that doesnt scale that well.

So when u are running experts it is probably decent or even better than a more standard spec, but once u start gaining spellpower u will "outgear" ur pets and then u will get a crystal which is just superbad. So if ur planning on learning a spec for the future 51 necro wont be it (If they dont change it in Storm Legion) but in ur position it might be ok.

As for the rotation u can just check which instants are enough damage to "outdamage" plague bolt. Remember to refresh Life Leech with Void bolt. But the biggest thing is ur cds. U have Lich form, Mass Grave, Empty the Crypts and Lich form (and Exhume). The summon time on the cds are too long so u want to use Exhume before using a cd. So the rotation should be something like:

1. Lich Form ---> Exhume --> Mass Grave
    2. Normal rotation
    3. Exhume --> Empty the crypts
    4. Normal rotation
    5. Start over
    Yes, just this. NecroLock is all about maintaining your DoTs carefully so your pet can do the most dmg, as the DoTs buff him. Don't bother wasting time casting Pillaging Stone- wait for Opportunity to proc and then use it. And you certainly don't need to cast it 5x; they have changed it so casting it once insta-stacks it.

While the PS buff is up and Opp procs again, use it to cast VB to refresh Life Leech. If all the above are up and active and Opp procs again, which it will and quite often, use it to cast Plague Bolt which refreshes Necrosis which in turn rebuffs the pet. So when all of *these* are up and running, heal your pet and yourself with Soul Purge.
    Then after that, rebuff as necessary, but make sure the DoTs are falling off 1-0 before you refresh as that is DPS lost.

Yes, it is possible to raid with NecroLock; I do it when I'm not healing; but yes, it is sub-par, average DPS compared to the spec du jour which for now is Pyro. But the thing with NecroLock is we tend to not have a standard, set rotation. It's highly situational depending on the mechanics of the fight and how the raid is comprised. Personally I use Soul Purge as much as I can- it dmgs the mobs very nicely and heals extremely well.

This spec to me was clearly a leveling spec; you do outgrow your pet and your DoTs. I hope this is addressed in Storm Legion as I adore this build and couldn't bring myself to not play it. In fact, I spent half the time leveling as EleLockSomething- I don't remember. Then I found NecroLock and it was undead love at first kill.

I do have a Chloro spec in case heals are needed, and I do have a Pyro spec that I suck at because I dislike Pyro so much. So if you plan on joining our Undead Club for the long haul, be ready for average DPS in endgame raids and do your best to learn your spells' and pet's mechanics so well that you can adapt your rotation depending on what the situation is.

I ended up just switching back to Warlock. I think it'll end up doing better in the long run.

Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Zacewing View Post
    I mostly saw people using it in 5 mans, actually. :S
    Thats because you can choose the Gravelord in the purpose selection screen ;) I always point mages to the official riftforums for some more insight into how to do a bit more dps.

About 51necro, you can do a priority system much like defilemancer. And when i hit the dummy with full HK gear, defilemancer hit 3000, 51warlock 2500, and 51necro 2100. But but with a standard rotation, I didnt get more then 1800. And the priority system is terribly difficult since you often know on the last 2seconds what to do. Why terrible, because you need karuulalert to do 60% of the dps of the topbuild :P But nevertheless, a fun build to play!
    Last edited by Fridge-RaideR; 07-31-2012 at 08:59 PM.
    AFK Member of Favouritism
    Founder of The Fabled on EU-Icewatch

Sorry Zacewing necromancer just isn't that viable atm in raiding atm, and even in pvp its basically an uphill battle. There was one point in the game (back in patch 1.3) that Zoomancer (a combination of necromancer and dominator) was a viable dps spec (apparently accidentally for one patch before it was nerfed again), and necromancer/warlock was a viable pvp build early on in the game, but outside of those two instances necromancer really hasn't had all that much playtime- its got quite a few issues atm- it doesn't synergize well other souls (except warlock) and doesn't have many defenisve options (soul purge might be decent if its dmg/healing were increased though), its pet dmg doesn't scale well and its main rotation is fairly weak, lastly in pvp there is some difficulty getting the rogue pets to get to enemies who can kite (or cc since pets don't have the same dr immunities). I hope we get to see it more in the future.
    Last edited by Inixia; 07-31-2012 at 09:18 PM.

51 warlock is ok and easy to manage
    i was feeling cheeky and used it in PF on atri(name) to see how it was
    pulled a touch over 3k without breakin a sweat
    def not as optimal as another spec for max damage but certainly one for starting out
    who took my names!

Rift Disciple

Given what has already been said about 51 Necro DPS, would a 51 Elementalist be any better or are they pretty close to the same, just wanting to get an idea regarding pet classes and which might be better if any.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Tierr View Post
    Given what has already been said about 51 Necro DPS, would a 51 Elementalist be any better or are they pretty close to the same, just wanting to get an idea regarding pet classes and which might be better if any.
    51 ele is like a better version of 51 necro but still too low dps to compete with pyro in raids and no aoe spells which make them annoying to use in experts.

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    Don't bother wasting time casting Pillaging Stone- wait for Opportunity to proc and then use it. And you certainly don't need to cast it 5x; they have changed it so casting it once insta-stacks it.
    What are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Polyteknix View Post
    What are you talking about?
    hes confusing it with searing vitality
    who took my names!

saying 51 ele is a better version of anything is a pretty sad statement in itself...

+ Reply to Thread