+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Potential DPS Problem Help

Default Potential DPS Problem Help

I think I'm having a DPS problem with my mage and would like some advice from the community.
    My build is linked below. I don't fell like I am getting very good DPS but I could be wrong. During dungeons I usually can keep around 1100 to 1600 (sometimes 2000 - 3000) on trash with AoE. On single target I drop to anywhere from 700's to 1100's. During raids I am rarely above 100 DPS. The problem is I don't really know if that is competitive.

I have a spam macro that has countdown, inferno, flamebolt, and fireball in that order. I begin with Sacrifice Life: Damage. When it runs out I activate my only other macro which contains Burn, internalize charge [noactive] and dark touch. I spam until all spells cast then go back to spamming the first macro until charge runs out then start all over.
    Also when my opportunity procs I throw Cinder Burst if available or an extra fireball.
    My timing seems to be decent. I always have a damage modifier up and I rarely go inactive due to miss-times.
    I'm getting close to full tier 1 gear. Only need shoulders, pants, and trinket to get there.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...qz.xx0V0VVx.-7

So for the wordiness. Am I concerned over nothing or am I doing something wrong.

Well, just looking at your spec there's a few problems here.

1: You don't have Burning Bright specced. You're missing out on 1.2%x36 extra damage which is massive. To make up these points, I'd suggest moving the points from Philosophy of Flame, Pyromancer's Armor, and Fire Shield to make it 3/3. The rest of your build looks acceptable, though I personally like to use Life Leech in my 36/30, so my Warlock side is a lot less straightforward.

2. Your macros are all kinds of messed up if you want to maximize your dps, which I assume is the purpose of this post. Flame Bolt is always first. Always, always, always. Gives you a damage boost from Wildfire (look at the talent description closely) as well as providing you with a free stack of combust. I myself only macro flame bolt and fireball together, then have separate keybinds for Countdown, Searing Vitality, and Dark Touch. You can macro CD and SV together no problem, I just choose not to.

3. I'm not sure if it still does this, but having Inferno in your macro pre-30% mob hp causes a small macro lag which'll delay your casts which will cause a pretty big dps loss over an extended period of time. Those fractions of a second add up.

4. Since the Sacrifice Life: Damage change in 1.8, you can now actually rotate it with a full bar of internalize charge to ensure that you constantly have that 20% damage buff active. When one wears off, activate the other, and do that for the whole encounter.

I offer you this rotation: Flame Bolt -> Countdown -> Searing Vitality -> Dark Touch -> Fireball spam.
    Spam fireballs until your flame bolt/dots are ready to be refreshed, then just lather rinse and repeat. Spend your opportunities on cinder bursts and fireballs whenever they pop up, work in Inferno sub-30, and HEATWAAAAAAAAAVE when you can.

Hope it helps, man.
    Morseus - P80 Defiant Mage
    Durandal - P70 Defiant Warrior
    Varkas - P3x Defiant Rogue

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Inferno still does cause macro lag, and I believe there's no way to fix it since the client has to query the server if the target is under 30 percent health EVERY time.

Aside from that, for simplicity's sake, I'd drop 3 points out of Vitality and put them into Neddra's Influence -- that's 20 percent extra damage from your Fire and Death DoTs (Searing Vitality, Countdown, Dark Touch, Combust). Like Burning Bright, that's a pretty big chunk of damage missing right there.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

^

that. I didn't even really look at the lock side of his build because it's so vastly different than mine.
    Morseus - P80 Defiant Mage
    Durandal - P70 Defiant Warrior
    Varkas - P3x Defiant Rogue

Thanks for the info. I made the changes and had a 700 - 1000 dps increase on a normal target dummy. Big change. Thanks a lot.

+ Reply to Thread