+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simple DPS spec (no HK crystal)

Ascendant

Default Simple DPS spec (no HK crystal)

I have a mage alt that I rarely play, usually to help people out for a raid that my main is already saved to. Normally, I run Archon or chloro since I'm very comfortable playing both roles and most of the time other people would rather DPS.

Infrequently, I'm asked to DPS and I'm frankly terrible at it. Just plain terri-bad (~1.0-1.2k ST in a 10-man, mixed GSB/HK gear, no crystals). I've been trying to run pyro/lock variants with little success. I can do alright if I'm completely stationary, but any motion and my rotation goes to total hell. I find that I have a hard time managing all the DoTs, CD, and procs.

What I'm looking for is a build that pulls respectable damage, doesn't require a ton of buttons, and has a straight-forward rotation. I want a build that I can put away for 3 weeks and then come back and be able to contribute. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Caelem -- Warrior Tank/DPS
    Carinae -- Mage Alt
    Greybriar -- <Last Attempt> 9/9 T1, 2/4 GA, 1/4 IG, 1/5 PBB

dbe
    General of Telara

I think the simplest spec that does decent dps is 51 pyro with 10/5 lock/archon. There might be a pyro guide in the guide section. Few buttons and movement friendly. Also the aoe isn't bad and isn't complex like SC.

Quote Originally Posted by dbe View Post
    I think the simplest spec that does decent dps is 51 pyro with 10/5 lock/archon. There might be a pyro guide in the guide section. Few buttons and movement friendly. Also the aoe isn't bad and isn't complex like SC.
    IMO SC/Pyro is simpler than 51 pyro and the AoE is pretty simple.

51 Pyro will be better ST but it's nearly as complex as 36/30 to use, only difference in single-target is you lose SLD and gain fulminate, and it's less important to manage life leech/dark touch, and more important to use withering flames. But you should go 13 lock for Neddra's Essence anyway.

For SC/Pyro here's a guide: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...e-pve-dps.html I do 2k+ ST with this spec without a stormcaller crystal yet.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 07-31-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Telaran

You want easy build to play. Ok.

Go for 51 warlock. You won't find any easier build to play. You place 4 dots, spam Void Bolt macro and use Sac Life : Dmg / Empowered Darkness. Kinda zombie build.

Ascendant

So I tried both 51 Lock and Sc/Pyro builds. I gotta say, the improvement is HUGE. The rotation is for both is nice and consistent, charge management is straight-forward, and the rotation is much more forgiving.

Both builds were significantly higher DPS. On a dummy Sc/Pyro was about 1230, 51 Lock about 1390. With pyro/lock I was getting about ~1200 on a dummy, but that typically dropped to <1k in a raid situation. I'm not a huge of the DoT style of 51 Lock, but it is definitely better ST damage, and the survivability is excellent. I could probably get another 50-150 DPS out of Sc/Pyro if I get better at not double-tapping certain abilities.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Caelem -- Warrior Tank/DPS
    Carinae -- Mage Alt
    Greybriar -- <Last Attempt> 9/9 T1, 2/4 GA, 1/4 IG, 1/5 PBB

+ Reply to Thread