+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New raiding mage

Default New raiding mage

Hey all! I had a couple questions and concerns about my Mage. So I am basically coming back to the game after being gone for a year and have jumped into raiding. So far I've cleared HK and the previous raids (no ID).

I had a Mage friend tell me how to play the pyro lock build 36/30 and it does seem a bit of a pain. My main issue is I only seem to be doing 1.8-2k dps in 10s and about 2k-2.3k in 20s. Judging by the guide here I am sure I am playing it right I think but am not confident in my dps. I do have my 4pc HK and mostly HK quality gear.

I am thinking about trying the 51 warlock build because apparently it is easier to play. I'm just not sure what to do if anyone can give me a hand!

PS - the above dps was with weapon stone and food

Quote Originally Posted by crabby654 View Post
    Hey all! I had a couple questions and concerns about my Mage. So I am basically coming back to the game after being gone for a year and have jumped into raiding. So far I've cleared HK and the previous raids (no ID).

I had a Mage friend tell me how to play the pyro lock build 36/30 and it does seem a bit of a pain. My main issue is I only seem to be doing 1.8-2k dps in 10s and about 2k-2.3k in 20s. Judging by the guide here I am sure I am playing it right I think but am not confident in my dps. I do have my 4pc HK and mostly HK quality gear.

I am thinking about trying the 51 warlock build because apparently it is easier to play. I'm just not sure what to do if anyone can give me a hand!

51 Warlock and 51 Pyro are a bit easier to play but they still use most of the same DoTs as 36/30. Warlock being a lot more DoT oriented and Pyro being a lot more burst oriented, with 36/30 being a combination of both. You could give them a try but you'd probably get better results from just working on your 36/30, your numbers are about where I was at that gear level before I dropped the build. Now running 28/38 (I suck at it though) and SC/pyro for anything with aoe, don't have enough damn role slots.

Telaran

2,3k in raid or on training dummy?

Now trying out 38/28, and it seems I suck it as well, TheGrinnz

Anyway... 51 lock is VERY easy to play. You refresh only 3 dots, spam VB macro, SL and ED.

Plane Walker

The problem with the easy mage specs are that while they can do decent its probably better just to begin with 36/30 or 28/38 since u can play those specs bad and still do better than other specs

Btw what guide are u using and also, if u post dps-numbers u can post spellpower aswell so ppl can tell u how good/bad u are so they know how to help.

Those where raid numbers i got from simple meter.

I would post my stats but I'm at work on my phone so I can't get access to them

The guides I looked at was the most recent Pyro lock guide on the guide section for 1.9 I believe.

Ascendant

Go to the dummy and practice ;) you should be closer to 3k with 4 pc if that was with raid buffs. It helped me to think of the 36/30 in 2 "blocks". The 2 blocks being: 1) Countdown, Flamebolt, Searing Vitality... 2) Countdown, Flamebolt, Searing Vitality, LL refresh, Dark Touch. While in between doing Fireballs...Cinder Burst on Opp. procs, and spreading out Wildfire when it procs to keep combust stacks rolling. This way I wasn't constantly trying to figure out what to cast when and its more of a solid pattern for me. Also, someone who is more experienced in mage than me can correct me if this is wrong...but I found best Heatwave results from keeping all DoTs except Dark Touch rolling while spamming Fireballs between. Shaeyl's 38/28 guide is helpful for 36/30 also just ignore the part about IC and Defile, instead of toggling IC...in 36/30 you just swap between SLD and IC for permanent 20% buff.
    Last edited by Bluelightt; 07-30-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightt View Post
    Go to the dummy and practice ;) you should be closer to 3k with 4 pc if that was with raid buffs. It helped me to think of the 36/30 in 2 "blocks". The 2 blocks being: 1) Countdown, Flamebolt, Searing Vitality... 2) Countdown, Flamebolt, Searing Vitality, LL refresh, Dark Touch. While in between doing Fireballs...Cinder Burst on Opp. procs, and spreading out Wildfire when it procs to keep combust stacks rolling. This way I wasn't constantly trying to figure out what to cast when and its more of a solid pattern for me. Also, someone who is more experienced in mage than me can correct me if this is wrong...but I found best Heatwave results from keeping all DoTs except Dark Touch rolling while spamming Fireballs between. Shaeyl's 38/28 guide is helpful just ignore the part about IC and Defile, instead of toggling IC...in 36/30 you just swap between SLD and IC for permanent 20% buff.
    IC is the exact same thing in defile and 36/30 u toggle during gcd. During hw life leech is important to keep up but searing vitality and dark touch are bad

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by mr3onion View Post
    IC is the exact same thing in defile and 36/30 u toggle during gcd. During hw life leech is important to keep up but searing vitality and dark touch are bad
    I'm not very experienced in 38/28, mostly just use 36/30 until I get the Warlock 4piece bonus. I realize toggling on the GCD, I was more saying you toggle it on during your DoT blocks in 38/28 where as in 36/30 charge management is non issue so you don't have to toggle it on/off just rotate it with SLD.

So at the moment my stats (with only class buffs, no weapon stone or anything else) are:

Spellpower - 1600
    Crit - 1031
    Focus - 416

I doubled checked this guide: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...dps-guide.html

and minus the defile and life leech (since im 36/30) it seems like I am doing it right, maybe tighten my dot times up a bit.

Plane Walker

So at the moment my stats (with only class buffs, no weapon stone or anything else) are:

Spellpower - 1600
    Crit - 1031
    Focus - 416

I doubled checked this guide: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...dps-guide.html

and minus the defile and life leech (since im 36/30) it seems like I am doing it right, maybe tighten my dot times up a bit.
    Silly question

U are using heat wave right? And what are u doing during it?

Quote Originally Posted by mr3onion View Post
    Silly question

U are using heat wave right? And what are u doing during it?
    this, 36/30's damage comes mostly from heat wave with the Pyro crystal, and timing that with Flaring Power/Wild Growth/times you get to attack the boss

during heat wave you should only use fireball with the exception of keeping up the flame bolt buff, countdown, and cinder burst if you catch an opportunity (not sure on this last part)

you can also use IC+Withering Flames+detoggle IC right as Heat Wave expires and WF will get the full Heat Wave+IC bonus.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 07-30-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Ugh, now that I think of it I might be sucking hard with the heat wave. I guess I'm having a hard time knowing when I should use it because of the default UI, having a hard time telling what buffs/debuffs I have. Are there any easy to configure addons to help with that?

Also these are the macro's I use and were given to me by my friend to teach me, so tell me if these make sense:

Spam:
    #show flame bolt
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast inferno
    cast flame bolt
    cast break free
    cast fireball

Countdown:
    #show countdown
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Internalize Charge
    cast countdown

Searing Vitality:
    #show Searing Vitality
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Searing Vitality

Dark Touch:
    #show Searing Vitality
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Searing Vitality

Cooldown(heatwave):
    #show heat wave
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast heat wave
    cast sacrifice life: damage
    cast fireball

Do these all make sense or are there any alterations I should make to them, I really only use these when DPSing.

um, ok
    well first of all you dont want IC in your macros, you want to alternate IC and SLD
    seondlt you wont get a real parse with a 10 or 20 second session a lot of the numbers wont show up
    try parsing for a full 5 mins nonstop.
    use dot timers to help manage blocks and practice
    who took my names!

Ascendant

Don't use those [notactive] macros in my opinion. It can really screw you up if say you just hit SLD and then hit that macro for Countdown or SV...you will cancel SLD and activate IC...which will end up screwing your charge unless you toggle off IC after your DoTs which isn't necessary in 36/30. I wouldn't use a macro with inferno first in the cast either, any ability that is conditional based (like Inferno is based on the mob's % HP to be able to cast) will give you noticeable lag. I really don't use any macros at all in 36/30. The only one that would be okay to use would be one like:

#show Countdown
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Countdown
    cast Flamebolt
    cast Fireball

Then that could be your main spam one, but it gets tricky when you have Wildfire procs because you don't want to use them all up in a row rather spread them out if your Combust is at 3 stacks already.

You said minus defile and life leech also...you should be using LL in this spec (refreshing with Void Bolt).
    Last edited by Bluelightt; 07-30-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Plane Walker

Ugh, now that I think of it I might be sucking hard with the heat wave. I guess I'm having a hard time knowing when I should use it because of the default UI, having a hard time telling what buffs/debuffs I have. Are there any easy to configure addons to help with that?

Also these are the macro's I use and were given to me by my friend to teach me, so tell me if these make sense:

Spam:
    #show flame bolt
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast inferno
    cast flame bolt
    cast break free
    cast fireball

Countdown:
    #show countdown
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast countdown

Searing Vitality:
    #show Searing Vitality
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Searing Vitality

Dark Touch:
    #show Searing Vitality
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Searing Vitality

Cooldown(heatwave):
    #show heat wave
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast heat wave
    cast sacrifice life: damage
    cast fireball

Do these all make sense or are there any alterations I should make to them, I really only use these when DPSing.
    Dont take this the wrong way, just trying to help out but I think those macros are the worst ever

U should never have inferno in a macro. I guess break free works the same way so take that away aswell.

Also delete those lines "infernalize charge notactive" or whatever they are called.

Other than that, I guess the rest is ok but using macros is pretty unecessary as 36/30 since they are not helping.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast