+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Primalthirst
  • 1 Post By TheGrinnz

Thread: Necro/lock dps rotation

Default Necro/lock dps rotation

i'm a lvl 29 necro, lock with all my points into necro with the rest in to warlock. what rotation should i be using to max my dps with aoe and single target in dungeons. thanks

Maxing your single target damage out as a Necrolock is mostly about setting up for your pet. I prefer to use the Skeletal Zealot since he auto-crits with Blood Spike on enemies that are affected by your Necrosis. Also he does 25% more damage with his Soul Rend per stack of Deathly Calling on an enemy (with maxed Fresh Graves talent).

When going into a fight I'll drop Grave Rot for a little AoE DoT, plus it applies a stack of Deathly Calling to everything. Follow that up with Necrosis, and then usually Essence Link. Then I start spamming Plague Bolt to max out the stack of Deathly Calling and to build up charge. Once I have a decent amount of charge I'll drop Soul Purge for some real single target damage.

TL;DR version: GR>Necrosis/EL>PB until charged>SP. Wash, rinse, and repeat until enemy is downed. Be sure to watch your Deathly Calling stacks and make sure Necrosis is on the enemy at all times.

As far as AoE goes, by now you have Grave Rot, but you're not going to kill a group of elites with just GR. Your real AoE comes at 16 and 20 points into Warlock. At 16 you get Devouring Shadows which is a channeled AoE that builds charge instead of using it. I like to use it to start out a fight. Drop GR then throw Necrosis out so your pet can be single-targeting something while you AoE nuke the group. Spam DR until most are dead and you can clean up with single target stuff. Once you get 20 points into Warlock you'll get Mortality. Mortality does more damage than DR and also heals you for the damage done. It's a great finisher and panic button.

TL;DR version: GR>Necrosis>DR to build charge>Mortality. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

Of course once you get higher in level you'll have other abilities to work into your rotation. I'm running 44 Necro/22 Warlock now at 50. I pretty much stick to those rotations, but will use Sacrifice Life: Damage and Lich Form beforehand.
    Last edited by Dirak; 07-29-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Thanks for the info. I have 32 points into necro should I start focusing points into warlock now?

Short answer is yes. Getting Devouring Shadows and Mortality is critical.
    Nope.

In your second paragraph you said grave rot applied 1 stack of DC, from my experience it applies at least 2-3 stacks over time.

It very well could apply more than one stack of Deathly Calling over time. I wasn't in-game when I typed up my first post and was just going off the info on Zam. Have to agree with Primalthirst's post. Having that extra AoE at your disposal earlier really helps.

When I log on I will probably go retalent to at least the first aoe so that I can increase my aoe. Isn't the mage pet supposed be better at aoe or should I stick with the zealot

Kind of found the mage pet underwhelming. It has some AoE potential, but is really dumb when it comes to using them. Maybe I haven't figured out a way to leverage it yet.

After I use GR I will put necrosis on a them and he usually attacks fine for me.

The problem with the Mage pet is if you are fighting enough enemies where it can make effective use of abilities, you will probably die because it pushes all the aggro onto you. It really would be most useful in dungeons as DPS but Pyro builds are so much better there that I haven't tried it. Honestly I used the Mage pet the most for PvP while leveling, lol. But keep in mind there's different talents to point into depending what pet you're primarily going to use.

When pointed into Fresh Graves (and eventually Clattering Bones) the Zealot can make great use of applying max Deathly Calling stacks, Necrosis, and Looming Demise ASAP. I would start with a hard-casted Plague Bolt (if you dont have aggro yet) followed by Grave Rot, Necrosis, Looming Demise, then Plague Bolt spam to maintain Deathly Calling. This is single-target btw, for AoE it's up to your Devouring Shadows and thus in this case I would usually use the Grave Knight to hold some of the aggro off me.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 07-30-2012 at 07:41 AM.

well i actually was talking about dungeons, i think i pointed that out in my first post. so i figured the mage would be good on the trash pulls sinces theres a lot of aoe.

Ascendant

the scout/rogue pet is the best necro pet by far. I didn't even bother using the other pets.

+ Reply to Thread