+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Whoa....mages are useless in PVP in Rift?

Default Whoa....mages are useless in PVP in Rift?

I switched from my 50 cleric to leveling a mage via PVP and can't figure out what is going on. At level 26 I have all of these cool snare abilities and flicker to make space and nothing seems to work...at all. Any melee class I try to snare is either already immune or becomes immune within a split second of actually being snared. They can kill me in 2 hits, they seem to have infinite gap closers, and a lot of powerful cooldowns. It just doesn't seem possible to kite them at all.
    Am I missing something here? How are they 95% immune to any control spells I try to throw at them? I should be able to kite them all day, yet it just doesn't work.
    Last edited by Raventree; 07-20-2012 at 05:28 PM.

no
    you're not missing anything
    that's how it is.
    but i am a strong advocate that a mage can do very well in pvp
    who took my names!

Ascendant

I've abandoned PvP DPS on my mage. I've seen it done well a few times, but it is very much reliant on gear and a great deal of skill.

Fortunately, mages can be useful healers at 51 Chloro so long as you are good at positioning and don't mind being unable to survive 1-on-1 encounters.

Mages can be very PVP viable, but you have to try way harder than any other class in the game, and you'll still end up being subpar compared to someone who has half your skill level/keybinds, and is playing a Rogue, or worse, a Warrior.
    ~Quiescent

Yikes! I was having fun, but it is clearly time to reroll.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Raventree View Post
    Yikes! I was having fun, but it is clearly time to reroll.
    Or you can stick with it, skill up, and destroy at leisure when mages eventually get fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    Mages can be very PVP viable
    you'll still end up being subpar compared to someone who has half your skill level/keybinds, and is playing a Rogue, or worse, a Warrior.
    How is that viable then if someone from another class can beat any mage so easily? Those are 2 conflicting points.

Why can I beat warriors or rogues as a pyrodom solo then..is it purely the lack of talent in the game now?

Put it this way, topped the leaderboards for way too long and decided to roll the absurdly op warrior, im r29 at the moment and i know for a damn near fact i can put out 2x my damage as a warrior when i get to r50.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Division View Post
    How is that viable then if someone from another class can beat any mage so easily? Those are 2 conflicting points.

Why can I beat warriors or rogues as a pyrodom solo then..is it purely the lack of talent in the game now?
    Please, try to beat a fully geared, I mean fully geared all the runes, sigils, seal and stuff, RS/NB rogue with all his cooldowns are available. You cant beat them. They are immortal. Or those warriors who can teleport to you whenever he wants as long as he lands a crit on you. Warriors hitting me 6k in 2 seconds and guess what I got 1350 valor -_- only thing viable for mages in PvP is now standing behind and debuffing/mana draining/healing?? maybe and reflecting stuff. That is all mages got left. I hope they nerf it soon so there will be no mage pvp at all and I will gladly switch to my Rogue and facepalm everyone with 6-7 buttons rather than my chloro/doms 20+ buttons...
    Last edited by Bippo; 07-20-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Mages are the most team-dependent class in warfront settings. You need good healers to keep your squishy *** alive through general AOE damage; you need people spreading heal debuffs to make your damage effective; you need a strong front line to hold the enemy so you can stand in the back and pewpew. Unfortunately you will almost never have these outside of Port Scion bonus week-ends (during which you will spend 73% of your time stunned or silenced anyway). Still you can rack up a lot of kills and damage in random WFs by relying on the badness of your enemies.

Ironically Mages are the weakest link in organised team PvP. For a very long time the only thing Mages have been able to do better than other classes is drain mana/energy. In the past few patches with the nerfs to Cleric healers and the buffs to Warriors this function became unnecessary -- healers that you used to have to lock down with mana drains can just be outright killed.

So yeah. Pretty useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bippo View Post
    Please, try to beat a fully geared, I mean fully geared all the runes, sigils, seal and stuff, RS/NB rogue with all his cooldowns are available. You cant beat them. They are immortal. Or those warriors who can teleport to you whenever he wants as long as he lands a crit on you. Warriors hitting me 6k in 2 seconds and guess what I got 1350 valor -_- only thing viable for mages in PvP is now standing behind and debuffing/mana draining/healing?? maybe and reflecting stuff. That is all mages got left. I hope they nerf it soon so there will be no mage pvp at all and I will gladly switch to my Rogue and facepalm everyone with 6-7 buttons rather than my chloro/doms 20+ buttons...

Well. I can list people who I can beatup solo..but yeah..;o and seriouslly..who plays nb/rs anymore?

sub-par=/= non-viable

That is because they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Mages are the most team-dependent class in warfront settings. You need good healers to keep your squishy *** alive through general AOE damage; you need people spreading heal debuffs to make your damage effective; you need a strong front line to hold the enemy so you can stand in the back and pewpew. Unfortunately you will almost never have these outside of Port Scion bonus week-ends (during which you will spend 73% of your time stunned or silenced anyway). Still you can rack up a lot of kills and damage in random WFs by relying on the badness of your enemies.

Ironically Mages are the weakest link in organised team PvP. For a very long time the only thing Mages have been able to do better than other classes is drain mana/energy. In the past few patches with the nerfs to Cleric healers and the buffs to Warriors this function became unnecessary -- healers that you used to have to lock down with mana drains can just be outright killed.

So yeah. Pretty useless.

I think what trunks is saying is... BUFF CLERICS AND NERF WARRIORS and all the mage problems will be solved!!!! YAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
    Last edited by No_Exit; 07-20-2012 at 08:31 PM.

It's viable, you're just sub-par. They're not conflicting.

You're playing against bads.
    ~Quiescent

It's viable, you're just sub-par. They're not conflicting.

You're playing against bads.
    Members of your guild are bads? ohh my poor young potato head..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast