+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What makes mages "Magical"?

Default What makes mages "Magical"?

Is it our range? No, nearly every class has almost our range (or surpasses it)

Is it our cast speed? No, physical classes naturally have the GCD we spend 5 points to get

Is it our teleports? No, we can't teleport up walls or escape most classes even with pure mobility builds.

Is it our DPS? No way. Maybe against a dummy :P

Is it our shields? LOL

Is it our ultimate abilities? What ultimate abilties, heatwave + fireball?

We have nothing significant that seperates us from the other classes really apart for the dominator tree, the rest of our souls are just bad copies of melee "casters" with worse animations and DPS and to be honest when i really consider it there is nothing magical about being a mage.

Magical would imply that we are able to perform feats beyond those of non-magicians, we can't though, every "spell" we have there is generally a better copy of that "spell" on a physical class, its not even a "spell" its just a ranged ability, our fireballs might aswell just be slower weaker versions of archers arrows or riftblades spears, i mean pyro illustrates this "we are trying to be a melee class because we have no real magic!" very easily, which is no doubt why its the class physical classes dislike, since its the only one that can actually "kinda" kite them.

- Provided there isn't a tree or a rock on the floor in front of you when you "teleport".
    - Regular MELEE hits have a 3m range, 3m man.. thats like the size of a door and a half.. BIG SWORDS on these melee characters.
    - 15m charges on lower cooldowns than our 15m teleport, and more reliable.
    - Better burst DPS on Sab/MM, better range, better synergy.

Name one thing that makes mages magical APART for our ability to polymorph other players, i can guarantee there is a very similar duplicate of that "spell" on another class.

Brostorm for instance - a mobile Hailstorm + thunderstorm bundles into one that STILL allows regular queing.

Rift Summon - A backwards teleport on a ridiculously low cooldown with ridiculously low DR (probably about the same as squirrel, maybe less)

I think im going to call rogues and warriors "mages" from now on, ill call mages "fodder" and ill call clerics "fodder meatshield".

Something like that right? Seriously Trion, you have the LEAST original ideas for spells ive ever seen in a game, even text based multi user dungeons had more in-depth and powerful spells than we get in "rift".

Slow time please???

Haste???

Bubble shields that protect groups???

Decent AoE please??

Force barriers for controlling areas?

Invisibility?

Meteor?

Ultima?

Instead all mages have are bad physical "caster" copied abilities and lets be frank and honest now.

Warriors trade a little bit of range for a MASSIVE survivability + dps increase.

Rogues trade nothing, they get the best DPS/utility/range/survivability/mobility

But mages trade survivability/damage/mobility for what? fancy gimmicky "spells" that aren't even that magical when compared to physical class counterparts.

I mean look at "crystalline missiles" our single target debuff on elementalist, it costs 7 points to get its full utility and its STILL inferior by far to Eradicate, plus with our crappier GCD even using hardcasts is generally a waste in this game.

Obviously Trion aren't listening anymore to their playerbase, they are just promising fancy nonesense as usual with "expansion packs" "chase the storm!" etc etc without really justifying WHY they havent done bugger all with mages or WHY mages are simply... NOT MAGES

Rift's "concept" of what a mage is is the poorest class concept of a spellcaster i have ever seen, archon is alright in concept but poor in practice, dominator is a little.. kinda dull? :/ Pyro's arent even proper pyro's (where is pillar of flame or flame barrier etc??) stormcallers are completely USELESS.

Im sick of it to be honest, mages aren't mages Trion.. BE MORE FREAKING UNIQUE PLEASE rather than copying everything over and over again for lazy profit.

Conquest stillmoor = cop existing map and patch in some turrets call it "revolutionary"

A lot of monsters = copied and enlarged versions of other monsters that already exist.. even bosses (look at beruhast.. how many times are they going to use that one model?)

Even the general "feel" of all the classes is the same regardless of calling, rogues feel like pyros, warriors feel like chloro-locks that can ACTUALLY DPS, bards feel like archons.. but better, i mean i dont get it.

Seems like a crappy overall class concept design to me guys.. i mean Trions idea of "unique" is throw "rift" into the title of the class then make half of its abilities OP.

RIFT-blade = ranged melee class with high mobility and survivability

RIFT-stalker = high mobility class with unparalleled survivability

Balls trion!, i could design a better mage concept in a couple of hours, i just kind of feel like nobody at trion has ever actually played any other MMORPG's you know, fireball spam gets boring after a while..

Specially when its not even that powerful.. and if anybody says "yes it is" BOLLOCKS, MM wayyyy outdps's pyro EVEN FASTCAST SPECS unless you have shades + heatwave up and even then ERADICATE will destroy that completely.

Worst mage development team evarr...

and here goes another one!
    Effei - Seastone
    Dawn of Terror

Who needs swag when we will be in melee shredding you apart with Harbinger.

Virulent, I think a few topics was enough man.

No I am not spelling out the leet in your name.
    It makes me angry.

Ascendant

ya know virulent, the only thing I take from all your complainy posts is that you should reroll rogue

If Virulent is indicative of the new breed of Mages, then things are going downhill faster than I thought.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

What makes mages "Magical"?

A: my cloak and hat
    who took my names!

really?
    Chrish @ Wolfsbane

Ascendant

Their 5k ST dps (and who knows how much they could do on Sicaron)

I think it's time for you to either quit the game or reroll another class.
    Effei - Seastone
    Dawn of Terror

Who needs swag when we will be in melee shredding you apart with Harbinger.

Telaran

They use magic

This guy again...
    Nope.

I <3 my mage

Just wanna wear the cloak now ;p
    Formerly Manwitch.... 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 3/4 GA

Merder she wroooote.
    Merder sheee wroooooote.

Shield of Telara

Guys I am fairly certain this is an RP post

Plane Walker