+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: When are mages going to get some PvP survivability?

Rift Master

Default When are mages going to get some PvP survivability?

Because honestly I am a bit bored of dying so goddam fast despite having mostly R50 gear now. We can't survive and we cannot escape, we cannot control our enemy and we cannot heal. While our DPS is decent it lacks the kind of burst warriors and rogues have, its frequently pathetic in the face of so many tanking cooldowns and mitigations, and does not make up for the lack of self healing, utiity, escape mechanisms and above all complete lack of survivability.

So Kervik, when are mages getting some love?
    Last edited by Tarien; 07-09-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    Click here for Gear Lists for every class!

Ascendant

it would be nice to have better PA. for example to have a good pvp soul like rogues with cleanse soul.. or warriors with second (non-crit) charge. we could use a flicker or "cleanses all warrior/rogue dot and make you immune for 5s" like cleanse soul ability that they have.

little changes like mortality being un-interruptable, fixing warrior root/fear so it can't chain CC you many times in < 10 seconds would also go a long way.

for now, check out 38 warlock 28 pyromancer. it is reasonably survivable if you make use of your range and abilities.

lgw

51 Pyro / 12 Ele / 3 Archon

With so many people running Chloro-somthing and some Bards and Senticars good mitigation to leach AOE heals is all you need.
    You're welcome.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Try subspeccing into Warlock or Elementalist.

Plenty of survivability in those trees.

Alternatively, just play defensively with dom.

Dom/lock is a great survivability/cc spec. Just awful damage.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    51 Pyro / 12 Ele / 3 Archon

With so many people running Chloro-somthing and some Bards and Senticars good mitigation to leach AOE heals is all you need.
    You're welcome.
    I actually have more or less that spec, except I don't have Ice Shield nor Exposure. Ice Shield like all mage shields barely seems worth the GCD when it does down in a single hit from an enemy and doesn't stack with Burning Shield. Exposure is a 7% damage increase for us which might be alright if multiple people are nuking a single difficult to kill target like a warrior/rogue with tank mitigation or a healing cleric, but it would take 14 fireballs to make up for the damage lost in the global used to put it up so I am not sure it is worth it.

51pt Pyro is a fun spec as long as there aren't too many high mitigation warriors about (or Riftblades). It's where mages get their reputation as high damage dealers, because of Fulminate critting people for decent amounts and generally consistent high damage. The trouble is that it is also our most squishy PvP spec, even with the 10pts in Ele for mitigation. We get melee on us and we're toast, succumbing to silences and stuns, unable to escape because Flicker catches on the smallest bump in the ground, and even if we manage to get a full 15yds away, melee have more gap closers than a dozen mages have gap creators. Burning bonds is our only useful CC - it has a 30second cooldown and is easily broken out of. It's hard to create distance because with the insane burst melee classes have we're toast before we can get out of the stun, CC the enemy, and Flicker away.
    Click here for Gear Lists for every class!

May I suggest you Warlock for its cooldowns!
    Effei - Seastone
    Dawn of Terror

Who needs swag when we will be in melee shredding you apart with Harbinger.

rune shield

i do fine but anyway imo its a matter of finding a balance between survival and dps
    cant have the best of both worlds
    who took my names!

Champion of Telara

A lot of my specs have 18 choro for the extra hp.

I wonder about the ele for mitigation sometimes. 8 points in chloro will give an instant bloom which heals well over 2k on my toon. The 10% mitigation from ele would have to have me take 20k damage for the same benefit so i would take the chloro option first although i would go 10 points for the veil because i have 2 shield greaters in my pvp engine.

Chloro-dom and chloro-lock both have reasonable survivability, its not great but you are a mage after all.

Honestly, right now mages are sub par in every catagory.

Dominator is our only truly dependable PvP spec in all honesty because it actually has a useful assortment of ST and AoE CC, lacks a bit on damage though which is why people pair it up with the only soul thats actually had any development, pyro.

The rest of our souls blow.

Chloro heals << Cleric heals
    Mage Mobility << Warrior/rogue mobility
    Mage CC <=> Cleric CC < Rogue CC
    Mage Support < Rogue Support/Warior Support
    Mage frontend DPS < Warrior DPS/Rogue DPS
    Mage sustained DPS < Warrior/Rogue sustained DPS (due to the complexity of squeezing out DPS as a mage and the unreliability of CC for boosting cast times etc)
    Mage survivability << Warrior/Rogue/Cleric survivability

Plus we have a large assortment of spells that are generally quite useless:

Mortality - Knockbacks/healing debuffs reducing scaling, has ok damage but id rather use the charge on entropic veil or something else.

Lightning burst - Why bother?.. its not bursty.

Fulminate - A pale shadow of what it used to be

Empty the Crypts - Poor pathing + runspeed on shamblers

All of our dots - plain dont do enough damage

Then consider how many uncleansable debuffs are in the game and tell me ONE which mages get.

One of our best skills is deny for a 10 point dominator investment but uh oh, ROGUES GET IT FREE NOW?!.. oh and crit reductions and all that other tasty crap that rogues and warriors get in their pvp pa, we get a silence reduction which is STILL mostly useless due to chain silences with silver tips and just the generally LONG duration of silences anyway.

Mages are sub-par in EVERY department, our best defensive skill is a one shot wonder (neddra's essence) that isnt even really that reliable (purgable, plus you can still take enough damage to die while its on so you generally have to use Neddra's essence + shadowlife)

Thats two 3m cooldowns that sure... they work... but once they are gone you are DEAD... a warrior can get 6 brostorms in + regular attacks before those skills will have cooled down so then mages are completely reliant on either flicker for escape OR our heals which are completely sub-par and completely useless what with -25% healing reduction from lingering wounds.

Thats about all mages have thats truly useful.. two 3m cooldowns.....UNLESS you are a pyro-dom.

Ive heard a lot of you saying how chloro-dom is the best spec... it really isnt... chloro is bust IMO till they sort out all these uncleansable debuffs and passively applied healing reductions. I generally destroy chloro-doms with defilemancer or similar pure DPS builds that incorporate a silence (pyro-dom is WAYYYY better, heck id even war-dom would be better if it wasnt for the ridiculously long cooldown on essence and shadow life and the poor scaling of DoT's in pvp (aswell as our crap GCD, our crappy cast times etc etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Monkey View Post
    rune shield

i do fine but anyway imo its a matter of finding a balance between survival and dps
    cant have the best of both worlds
    You cant have either if you play a mage :P

Quote Originally Posted by V1rul3n7 View Post
    Quoting all virulence wall of text)
    Quoted that to avoid eye bleeding through wall of text.

Too much QQ, I don't even know where to start with all those posts of yours
    Effei - Seastone
    Dawn of Terror

Who needs swag when we will be in melee shredding you apart with Harbinger.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Effeil View Post
    Quoted that to avoid eye bleeding through wall of text.

Too much QQ, I don't even know where to start with all those posts of yours
    Sounds like you don't pvp at all tbh
    Deso, The Fabled @ Icewatch
    11/11 HK | 5/8 ID | 4/4 PF

Quote Originally Posted by d3s0 View Post
    Sounds like you don't pvp at all tbh
    Sound's like you should spend less time on the forums complaining and learn to play your class.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Crytis View Post
    Sound's like you should spend less time on the forums complaining and learn to play your class.
    Fail troll. Find a post on forums where I am complaining and I will give you a cookie. gl
    Deso, The Fabled @ Icewatch
    11/11 HK | 5/8 ID | 4/4 PF

I wish my class was as invincible as other classes think it is

If you've ever encountered Effei in a warfront (yes he does pvp), you'd be ok with the state of mages in pvp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast