+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 28/38 still viable?

Default 28/38 still viable?

Rumour has it that despite Warlock crystal nerf in 1.7, 28/38 still does superior DPS to 36/30. If that's true, how much more DPS? I've briefly tried learning that build during 1.6, but abandoned the idea due to the complexity of having to keep up 5 DoTs and went back to playing 36/30.

But if I can expect a considerable increase in DPS in most HK boss fights, I'd be willing to give 28/38 another try.

Thoughts?

I'd hold off messing with it until patch 1.8, since you'll have to relearn it a bit anyway. DoT durations changing and Sac Life: Damage changing will change the 'rotation' (for lack of a better word) a bit.

But yes, it is definitely still superior single target DPS on live, by several hundred or so, give or take.

Also worth noting that the gap between DPS and difficulty between the two specs will be closing a bit with the changes currently on PTS.
    Last edited by Matsu; 02-25-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Learn it if you care about being good.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Soulwalker

I'd say very little. The 30/36 is easier to play, less stationary, better burst, (good AoE if you ever need it) and more forgiving. Sure, with 28/38 you will be about 100 DPS more in the long run but is it worth it? One error at the wrong point and you lose a lot.

Soulwalker

I still use it for some encounters though, like Sicaron.

Prophet of Telara

It is slightly ahead but not enough in my eyes to justify the extra "stress" and likelihood to **** up.

Me and Rodyan always parsed within 100dps of each other on any fight and prior to 1.7 we were both ~4.2k on Sicaron and that was with 3828 now with better gear I have to get a perfect, no contract fight to get 4k and I'm better geared now (no relic or AMoP yet though).

Also we've done parses with us alternating 36/30 and 38/28 and before it was a good 500 dps ahead on a ST fight and now its like 1/200 more so I use 36/30 and save myself the disappointment as 36/30 I can watch tv and pull off a flawless execution its so faceroll easy.

This is what I hate - the spec was difficult and required practise and many lazy/sub par mages just avoided it and only those who were keen to push themselves learnt it. So the people who put the effort it in got nerfed which sucks balls imo.
    World First Maelforge, Salvarola and Ultane.
    Officially quit!
    Props to my old guilds: eXile, Special Olympics, Exploit, Last Dawn

Shield of Telara

38/28 will be much easier in 1.8 and 36/30 is going to have life leech in it, sooo you might as well start getting used to 38/28.
    Rank 8, 11/11

You should learn it. If you do end up playing with good mages at some point they'll do a lot more than 100 dps more than 36/30 as I just found out thinking 3500 on murdantix was good with 36/30.. but ppl in raid were doing 3700 and 3800 with the 38/28 You can imagine how much more of a difference it would've been on sicaron had I kept 36/30 for that too.

Soulwalker

I'm not sure I want to dedicate a role for a couple of farm bosses. I'll wait and see what 1.8 and ID bring. If new content provides chances for it to be used, then obviously the extra DPS would help for progression fights.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Dim CR View Post
    I'm not sure I want to dedicate a role for a couple of farm bosses. I'll wait and see what 1.8 and ID bring. If new content provides chances for it to be used, then obviously the extra DPS would help for progression fights.
    Considering it's very possible for you to be your raid's top single target DPS if you perform it correctly, it would be wise of your raid leader to take that into consideration when assigning who does what. No need for everyone to AoE on Matron(it's overkill), throw a couple 38/28s on full time boss duty. Unless you are progressing through Zilas, it shouldn't be necessary to have everyone switch to Magi, throw a couple 38/28s on full time boss duty.

Inquisitor should have a couple of 38/28s(tip: cabs can do add-duty just fine), and I don't see why you couldn't have one or two on Darktide as well. Not to mention Vlad.
    Rank 8, 11/11

+ Reply to Thread