+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dakkhon

Thread: I am bored of Pyro!!

Default I am bored of Pyro!!

Especially for PVP, which is what I do most.

I used to play SC from time to time for PVE....but my Pyro build does better than even SC, even for PVE. I played SC briefly in PVP when it was effective, back in November/December...but the following nerfs made it not worthwhile with all the mechanics of building charge just to do the same damage as a Pyro can do without all the need for building charges.

Now the only other build I play is full Chloro in PVE...and really...does it get ANY more boring than full Chloro?

I find Dom to be pretty boring...nothing blows up....which for me is the whole point of being a mage.

I would LOVE to have other options for Mages that blow things up, just in different ways, that are effective...something that doesn't require me to stand there for 8 seconds building up AoE charges and hoping nobody notices me in the meantime, and maybe blow ME up with a spitball. Something that doesn't make me a Harry Potter squirreling machine that I can DPS every 2 minutes with Split Personality.

So...is it just me?

Anyone else frustrated with our limitations of effective options for builds?
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Shield of Telara

All thanks to our ****ty PvP PA. Okay, maybe 30% crit damage and 15% spell damage was too much for 51 pyro builds, but they effectively slaughtered whatever slim hope remained for any other build that wasn't pyro or dom hybrids.

At least before I could get some lulz with 51 necro, 51 ele and even 51 archon(mm, pillaging stone with BP procs). Even though they were terrible for all practical purposes, they had those moments of pure awesome(c'mon, instant cast plague bolt spam with mass graves and empty the crypts up? Good times). They were completely dependent on 15 archmage, though, and now all of those talents are gone.
    Rank 8, 11/11

Ascendant

sugestion: turn red color of, for you monitor, in your imagination your not a pyro blowing things up but the cold freeze ice monster blowing things up!

Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveJones View Post
    All thanks to our ****ty PvP PA. Okay, maybe 30% crit damage and 15% spell damage was too much for 51 pyro builds, but they effectively slaughtered whatever slim hope remained for any other build that wasn't pyro or dom hybrids.

At least before I could get some lulz with 51 necro, 51 ele and even 51 archon(mm, pillaging stone with BP procs). Even though they were terrible for all practical purposes, they had those moments of pure awesome(c'mon, instant cast plague bolt spam with mass graves and empty the crypts up? Good times). They were completely dependent on 15 archmage, though, and now all of those talents are gone.
    I actually like the PVP PA system, because it should offer a greater variety of builds for PVP.

But...

The diversity was undone with the nerfs and valor boosts.

They need to make some changes...

SC = Boost AoE DPS, and give an instant cast ST spell that puts charge on the target.

Ele = I don't even know where to begin. It has no burst at all. You can use Intensify Elements that gives you more DPS....for 15 seconds....but there is STILL no burst.

Chloro = Just needs a compelte revamp. More healing in PVP, and more AoE. They should make Natural Splendor a 31 point skill and Nature's Fury instant cast. Make Void Life do more DPS....I mean...talk about a crappy 51 point skill fo PVP.

Archon I actually think is OK, but they should lower the casting time for Pillaging Stone.....it's a pretty lousy base DPS skill compared to Fireball, Plague Bolt, and Void Bolt. Cut casting time to 1.5 seconds or something. You still won't be blowing people up, but that isn't the Archon's job.

Warlock = Make Life Leech a passive DoT that applies with Void Life...kind of like Fireball and Vile Spores gets. Mortality should have CD reduced, because most of the time it gets interrupted, anyway...it's almsot useless.

Dom = Make Neural Prod useful, and put a 30 second CD on Transmogrify. It's over used and kind of a gimmick right now. It should be a skill that is good when used at the right time...not a spammable CC skill. Instead, boost Neural Prod and give Dom's a viable attack.

Necro I can't speak to very much...not much experience with it.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar View Post
    I actually like the PVP PA system, because it should offer a greater variety of builds for PVP.

But...

This is kind of my point. The PvP PA itself is something I am fine with, it just backfired and pigeonholed us even more due to them putting the talents no one wanted anyways in there. They can't simply re-do how all these spells function and perform at a base level just to make them more viable in PvP. However, since they are good at nerfing at simply the amount of damage/healing an ability does in PvP, I don't see what's holding them back from buffing certain abilities in PvP, and there's a lot that needs buffing.

They wanted to free up our points so we could spend them in other trees, but the removal of the talents that people actually used just forced everyone into pyro and dom hybrids even more than before. Good concept, failed execution.
    Rank 8, 11/11

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar View Post

But...

SC = Boost AoE DPS, and give an instant cast ST spell that puts charge on the target.

Ele = I don't even know where to begin. It has no burst at all. You can use Intensify Elements that gives you more DPS....for 15 seconds....but there is STILL no burst.

Chloro = Just needs a compelte revamp. More healing in PVP, and more AoE. They should make Natural Splendor a 31 point skill and Nature's Fury instant cast. Make Void Life do more DPS....I mean...talk about a crappy 51 point skill fo PVP.

Archon I actually think is OK, but they should lower the casting time for Pillaging Stone.....it's a pretty lousy base DPS skill compared to Fireball, Plague Bolt, and Void Bolt. Cut casting time to 1.5 seconds or something. You still won't be blowing people up, but that isn't the Archon's job.

Warlock = Make Life Leech a passive DoT that applies with Void Life...kind of like Fireball and Vile Spores gets. Mortality should have CD reduced, because most of the time it gets interrupted, anyway...it's almsot useless.

Dom = Make Neural Prod useful, and put a 30 second CD on Transmogrify. It's over used and kind of a gimmick right now. It should be a skill that is good when used at the right time...not a spammable CC skill. Instead, boost Neural Prod and give Dom's a viable attack.

Necro I can't speak to very much...not much experience with it.

.....oh please make my chlorolock even more unkillable while increaing my dps like a champ All that sounds good to me. Life Leech definitely needs to be 100% life returned and the damage increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkhon View Post
    .....oh please make my chlorolock even more unkillable while increaing my dps like a champ All that sounds good to me. Life Leech definitely needs to be 100% life returned and the damage increased.
    Agreed! I ALMOST have to pay attention when killing chlorolocks. Love seeing people using these builds scramble to pop essence surge in the first 4s of combat. Sorry, but if you're a mage of the mindset chlorolocks are unkillable you're not facing off against good geared players.

I'm still looking for a good chlorolock to face off against in the warfronts...best one to date had around 11k hps. It was actually a long fight as far as Rift PVP goes. Took about 15s to kill him. 3rd degen hadn't come up on cd before he died.

Bottom line, if there's a melee/tanksih type rolling around, ditch the chlorolock build and be a good dps, not a supbar one with splash heals. It's likely you'll be more helpful to your team nuking baddies than acting as a mage tank.
    But at least we can get married now!
    I'll be fishing in Codex...
    Nobodi - R8 Mage Defiant Deepwood
    Somebodi - 19 Rogue Guardian Deepwood (twink wannabe)

I agree I would love some options outside of pyro in both pve and pvp! But then again... I never really connected with pyro personally so this patch has been a bit painful for me. I mean obviously its not at the point where I'm not going to run pyrolock in raid, but I have to say I've been cutting back a lot on pvp at least until more viable options come up again... really missing late 1.6 sc. :/ I think its fair to keep sc aoe focused in pve though...
    Last edited by Inixia; 02-25-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Join the club =/ I hate pyro so much, not because its bad or unfun, but because its required to be competitive in pve and pvp both. Its a joke, they need to boost up the rest of the mage dps souls, especially necro and elementalist. SC at least has a niche, and warlock is getting some buffs next patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cime View Post
    Agreed! I ALMOST have to pay attention when killing chlorolocks. Love seeing people using these builds scramble to pop essence surge in the first 4s of combat. Sorry, but if you're a mage of the mindset chlorolocks are unkillable you're not facing off against good geared players.

I'm still looking for a good chlorolock to face off against in the warfronts...best one to date had around 11k hps. It was actually a long fight as far as Rift PVP goes. Took about 15s to kill him. 3rd degen hadn't come up on cd before he died.

Bottom line, if there's a melee/tanksih type rolling around, ditch the chlorolock build and be a good dps, not a supbar one with splash heals. It's likely you'll be more helpful to your team nuking baddies than acting as a mage tank.
    My chlorolock has about 11/12 K and I KNOW it would take you more than 15s to kill me.... I think we've only been on the same team with me in that build. The only time I remember going against you I was running 51 pyro.

In most cases you are right, especially running in premade groups or in organised RvR (Menaace and I were just having this conversation the other day) but not every Chlorolock is only putting out "splash" heals or sub par DPS. There's a few of us (Emphasis on a few Lockx and Rethorix come to mind) who can unload a substantial amount of DPS and keep a pug going for a LONG time. If I can absorb 250k damage+ without dying, and contribute large amounts of sustained damage as well as healing to a pug I am an asset to the team.
    KABOOM!

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Cime View Post
    I'm still looking for a good chlorolock to face off against in the warfronts...best one to date had around 11k hps.
    Pff, I have that much in my 51 chloro build. Preparing for chloro PvP buff.

Oh, god please, don't suck.
    Rank 8, 11/11

+ Reply to Thread