+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BrownsMageNerfDelivery

Thread: Perhaps Mage isn't for me?

Plane Touched

Default Perhaps Mage isn't for me?

Hi all!
    When it comes to RPG games, I love being a caster. I do like healing so I am especially fond of Chloro...and not to mention I think Archon is a ton of fun.

With that being said, I think I am a bit put off by mages in this game. I have a 50, and I enjoyed it for the most part...but I find the specs/rotation to not be fluid. It seems like all DPS specs have to have pyro in it, or warlock..which is FINE, but it just seems silly that the DPS specs all seem to go back to 1 of those 2 trees, when we have 8 in total.

I'm always having a hard time figuring out my rotation for, well, anything, simply because we are given SO.MANY.SPELLS. when we combine 3 trees and tap points into 2 of those.

Are there any DPS specs for Mages that the rotation is very fluid?? I enjoy that kind of playstyle. Not casting, then instant, instant, casting, instant, casting, instant, instant..etc. Just seems so.. yuck.?

I manly will be a mage healer, and I'm fine. But this is a game that since you have 6 spots you are basically required to fill the role needed. -_-..so I'd like to have 1-2 high DPS specs that I know.

Any suggestions? :-|
    Ciaramyst
    Elementalist | Chloromancer | Archon | Chlorlock

Unfortunately no. The way it's always seemed to work in this game is high raid dps comes from dots ticking while casting. The more dots you can get to tick while getting some casts in = higher dps. Since that's the case.. unless you have a fetish for playing an affliction style mage and casting a ton of dots then you're not going to enjoy it. All the other specs that aren't dot heavy under-perform.

It just isn't very fun for me either in the grand scheme of things, but it's all we have. Either we give up and start over with a new class, 0 PA, and re-gear, or just keep doing whatevers needed to down stuff.

The silver lining is usually patches completely revamp classes. So in 1.9 or 2.0 there might be a sweeping change that makes everything you thought you knew about mage completely different and Stormcaller single target might be the best, and devouring shadows become the highest aoe.. who knows.

Yeah dps warriors, rogues and clerics get 2-3 macro buttons to spam, the 'easiest' mage specs probably use at least 4-5 minimum for similar damage. I totally agree that its stupid for every spec to have to have pyro to be any good, I mean whats the point of the soul system if every build needs pyro in it? Necro, elementalist and to some extent full stormcaller and warlock can't even come close to pyro st or aoe dmg in pve or pvp. It's beyond frustrating.

Rift Chaser

We play mages in this game because of the complexity and reward of playing one of the most difficult classes. Chloro is easy as snot, and to a certain extent so is archon, but both require you to use specific spells and cooldowns at the correct moment. Our dps specs have become largely based around the two tree's which you mentioned, however unfortunate that may be. This may change in the future, but until then it's pyro/lock or sc/pyro, if you want to be effective in a raid/dungeon role as dps.

Soulwalker

Chloro is frustrating for me because it's best damagers are all on cooldowns, but, after thinking about it, that's actually what makes it fun. I don't have to sit and mash 1 key over and over for max damage (OK, I can macro it)

What really impresses me over all of the classes in Rift is the Saboteur, it is very nontraditional in the MMO sense and offers new avenues for creativity in play. I would love to see some new classes under Mage that can offer this same non-traditional style of play while still being competitive.

BTW, I would like to point out that Elementalists can put out some pretty solid damage as well.
    Elem/Archon is a non standard build that has some fun characteristics.

(On a side note, I played a Dom for PVP throughout 1.6, but since everyone and their dog is a Dom in PVP, I've switched to Warlock)
    Last edited by Elecran; 02-24-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Yeah dps warriors, rogues and clerics get 2-3 macro buttons to spam, the 'easiest' mage specs probably use at least 4-5 minimum for similar damage.
    I dunno about warriors, but both rogues and clerics have their rotation stuff which they must do perfectly in order to just start competition with mage dps. 2-3 macro mashers quickly find themselves doing crap dps.
    happy dominator
    <- uberhealz

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elecran View Post
    Chloro is frustrating for me because it's best damagers are all on cooldowns, but, after thinking about it, that's actually what makes it fun. I don't have to sit and mash 1 key over and over for max damage (OK, I can macro it)
    Please don't say you are using macros for chloro abilities (other than mouseover heals)...

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Quote Originally Posted by BrownsMageNerfDelivery View Post
    Please don't say you are using macros for chloro abilities (other than mouseover heals)...
    Haha... Chloro is the one I play most, and the least likely to be able to macro.
    If you're using it as a solo class (not sure why, it'd be slow) then you could macro all your damage spells (nature's touch, nature's fury, ruin, vile spores) together, but it'd still not work that great. All the spells are too situational.

One button mashing chloro's are, again, not the chloro's I want healing me. I'll admit, in dungeons all I really need is void life spam, unfortunately, but I still mix it up and use rotations that are completely unnecessary, simply to keep myself sharp for the raids where it actually matters. Although I despise being a healer in dungeons, I love playing chloro in raids.

Pyro is king in dps because, well, let's face it, fire is superior. I can't see anything that needs to be added to that statement, so I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfoxy View Post
    I dunno about warriors, but both rogues and clerics have their rotation stuff which they must do perfectly in order to just start competition with mage dps. 2-3 macro mashers quickly find themselves doing crap dps.
    Inquisitor, shaman, druid, ranger, marksman I know can put probably 75% of their stuff in one macro, sure they have a few situational abilities but its nothing like what mages have to do. And I'm sure not macroing can increase dps, but my point was mages couldn't do this even if they wanted, the abilities are set up in a way that just makes it unfeasible.

+ Reply to Thread