+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need advice on P4 akylios

Champion of Telara

Default Need advice on P4 akylios

I run the SC/pyro spec for aky.
    Been noticing that I'm having issues in P4 where FL isn't hitting both targets (jonaru/aky or jonaru/lasher). For aky, its simple enough to draw jonaru in a bit closer.

For the lasher though, the tanks has issues in that he runs the risk of falling off the platform.
    For all the SC's, what do you do during aky's submerge phase? Go at jonaru still? Attack lashers or stingers? Still try to AoE?

as a ranged your priorities should be: survive > stingers > lashers > other ( d/claws-apostle-named(phase pending))
    Last edited by Pixel Monkey; 02-23-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    who took my names!

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Monkey View Post
    as a ranged your priorities should be: survive > stingers > lashers > other ( d/claws-apostle-named(phase pending))
    This is wrong.
    SC priority is survive>jonaru/aky>stinger/lasher
    There is no point in playing SC otherwise.

If I wanted to follow your priority system, it is better for me to play pyro.
    Last edited by masakari81; 02-23-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masakari81 View Post
    This is wrong.
    SC priority is survive>jonaru/aky>stinger/lasher
    There is no point in playing SC otherwise.
    the main point of the SC/pyro is for the extra aoe on p1/2
    p3+4 your primary concerns should be survival > stinger > lasher > akylios > jornaru

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarz View Post
    the main point of the SC/pyro is for the extra aoe on p1/2
    p3+4 your primary concerns should be survival > stinger > lasher > akylios > jornaru
    P1/2 AoE is nice, but doesn't really require a SC/pyro. Pyro/lock would give slightly poorer AoE, but superior ST in P3/4 which arguably is a lot more important (P1/2 is pretty easy anyway). I've asked around before, and the main advantage of SC is the ability to FL/LF jonaru+whatever. Our stinger team is sufficient as it stands..... so the whole point is to up the DPS on jonaru/lasher if they can be AoE'd together.... and that is exactly the problem I have now since FL seems to be hitting only 1.

And it should never be aky>jonaru since you're pretty much hitting both at the same time while focusing on jonaru (if focusing on aky, there's a good chance FL will not hit jonaru due to super large hit box).

Champion of Telara

Darn edit timer.

Anyway, what was supposed to be so good about SC is the ability to do really good dmg to 2 targets which is what you have in phase 4. And its the reason why LF is the top dmg dealer in that encounter (at least that was what was told to me when I was asking about the dmg distribution while riftstats was up).

as far as i know the only reason for a SC on akylios is to help the AOE dps in the 1st 2 phases, and after those phases that SC will switch to stinger duty.
    there is no need for you to be aoe dpsing jonaru and akylios you warriors should be more than sufficient for that.
    if its not a case of needing aoe dps in the 1st 2 phases then i would say just go pyro for stinger duty.

Prophet of Telara

Surprising the first response you get is "LOL MAGES R SUPPOSED TO KILL STINGERS!!"

Positioning on jorn won't always be perfect (although with good tanks cases of having him out of range of aky/lashers will be rare), but if you notice your FL isn't tagging aky or a lasher just go ahead and switch. No need to single target jorn if he's out of range.

Plane Walker

I run sc/pyro and I dont think ive ever hit a stinger maybe on submerge phases when we stand around with nothing to attack. I still dont know wtf is up with this fight but u can FL x3 with jorn targetted and hit LF 4 times before it wont bounce on akylios anymore.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by masakari81 View Post
    P1/2 AoE is nice, but doesn't really require a SC/pyro. Pyro/lock would give slightly poorer AoE, but superior ST in P3/4 which arguably is a lot more important (P1/2 is pretty easy anyway). I've asked around before, and the main advantage of SC is the ability to FL/LF jonaru+whatever. Our stinger team is sufficient as it stands..... so the whole point is to up the DPS on jonaru/lasher if they can be AoE'd together.... and that is exactly the problem I have now since FL seems to be hitting only 1.

And it should never be aky>jonaru since you're pretty much hitting both at the same time while focusing on jonaru (if focusing on aky, there's a good chance FL will not hit jonaru due to super large hit box).
    Regarding whether to run spyro or pyrolock, this.

Which is better depends on what setup your raid runs anyway, so comments about "i run x and never have to do y" as well as "mages are supposed to z" do not make sense.

OP: Sorry, can't help. The way we do it I'm always on partial duty (aoe p1, stinger st p2-4) so i run pyrolock.
    Onde, mage dps / healing / support (Note: old signature)
    <Archetype>, Icewatch
    EE 2/5 | FT 4/4 | TotDQ 4/4 | 8/8 ID | 11/11 HK | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS | 4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | RotP 4/4 | PF 4/4 | PA 628

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by OwnaGeJuiCe View Post
    I run sc/pyro and I dont think ive ever hit a stinger maybe on submerge phases when we stand around with nothing to attack. I still dont know wtf is up with this fight but u can FL x3 with jorn targetted and hit LF 4 times before it wont bounce on akylios anymore.
    I get that sometimes.... although I didn't really count number of casts. I always thought it was because the tank moved and it went out of the hit box.

For a moment I was thinking I had the SC/Pyro spec role wrong.... glad to know it was the 1st 2 posters using it wrongly.

i find irony in how people contort and twist others words to suit their own use
    who took my names!

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Monkey View Post
    i find irony in how people contort and twist others words to suit their own use
    ????
    Sorry if you felt I twisted your words.... although I can't see how I did. I just stated that I felt your use of SC/pyro in raid was wrong. SC/pyro was meant specifically for P4 of akylios.
    Last edited by masakari81; 02-23-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Plane Walker

by the time u get 3 stacks on a stinger u get maybe 2-3 cloudbursts before they die? assuming u have rogues on them already its not that effective. aoeing jorn/akylios isnt the only way for sc but its your most output of damage with that spec in that fight so why wouldnt u do it?

I counted the bounces too it wasnt cause he was moved and one didnt bounce. I did LF once watched it double tick LF again watched etc u can do 4.

they day my character brings a SC spec to akylios is the day my accounts been hacked and some clowns pretending to be me.
    i just posted the standard meta raid composition priority order for ranged ( not mages RANGED)
    Last edited by Pixel Monkey; 02-23-2012 at 10:33 PM.
    who took my names!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast