+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just came back, read guides, still confused about some specs.Help appreciated

Soulwalker

Default Just came back, read guides, still confused about some specs.Help appreciated

Hello everyone, I just came back to check rift out and since I've been away for a while I'm really confused on how things changed.Bear in mind I read the guides both here and bluedot site and still I have some doubts so any help is appreciated, the main issues are:

1)I'm overly-undergeared I guess by checking people out, I did raid up to alsbeth and did HK on pts so I generally still remember how things go, the issue is I have terribad gear since I didn't stick around too much, some easy suggestions on how to get back in line?I noticed they changed the LFD rewards so I'm digging that out, I've got some tailor crafted and some occultist/thaumaturge gear, basically I was good geared for GSB and ROS progression when they came out, any easy upgrade?I'm gonna grind the dungeons asap and find maybe a casual guild since this isn't my only past time(martial arts + wow take some time already =P).

2)I kinda liked chloro back in the day and used a 51 spec, I also had a 36/30 chlorolock spec, what would you suggest for 5 mans and maybe some pugs if I can find any? I know they both have strength and I generally know them both, I'd like just a quick recap on which would be good to get back in touch with the game.Mainly for 5 mans though.

3)I choose (probably wrong since I'm undergeared, but still got a slot empty) for my dps spec the pyrolock 36/30, you think I should roll with 51 ele 15 storm since I'm a bit behind in gear?I was used to the old stormcaller one, before the zoomancer came(I basically quit a bit before HK came out of pts and zoomancer was rampant)

4)PvP suggested spec just for fun and to waste some time? I'm not really into rift pvp especially on my mage(damn rogues.) but still any idea would be nice.

Thanks for the help, I hope I didn't ask something too obvious, I'm kinda rusty at this whole rift thingie..I just moved to bloodiron eu so still checking the new npcs/currencies/gear/activities...god...this game is almost overly complex! xD

Quote Originally Posted by Neviskio View Post
    Hello everyone, I just came back to check rift out and since I've been away for a while I'm really confused on how things changed.Bear in mind I read the guides both here and bluedot site and still I have some doubts so any help is appreciated, the main issues are:

1)I'm overly-undergeared I guess by checking people out, I did raid up to alsbeth and did HK on pts so I generally still remember how things go, the issue is I have terribad gear since I didn't stick around too much, some easy suggestions on how to get back in line?I noticed they changed the LFD rewards so I'm digging that out, I've got some tailor crafted and some occultist/thaumaturge gear, basically I was good geared for GSB and ROS progression when they came out, any easy upgrade?I'm gonna grind the dungeons asap and find maybe a casual guild since this isn't my only past time(martial arts + wow take some time already =P).

2)I kinda liked chloro back in the day and used a 51 spec, I also had a 36/30 chlorolock spec, what would you suggest for 5 mans and maybe some pugs if I can find any? I know they both have strength and I generally know them both, I'd like just a quick recap on which would be good to get back in touch with the game.Mainly for 5 mans though.

3)I choose (probably wrong since I'm undergeared, but still got a slot empty) for my dps spec the pyrolock 36/30, you think I should roll with 51 ele 15 storm since I'm a bit behind in gear?I was used to the old stormcaller one, before the zoomancer came(I basically quit a bit before HK came out of pts and zoomancer was rampant)

4)PvP suggested spec just for fun and to waste some time? I'm not really into rift pvp especially on my mage(damn rogues.) but still any idea would be nice.

Thanks for the help, I hope I didn't ask something too obvious, I'm kinda rusty at this whole rift thingie..I just moved to bloodiron eu so still checking the new npcs/currencies/gear/activities...god...this game is almost overly complex! xD
    I will focus on your #1 and #2 since I don't dps or pvp too much.

The crafted gear is a good place to start, the dungeon and t1 raid gear got buffed recently so some of those items are still very good to pick up. For example I'm full hk geared and I still use the Uncorrupted Ancient Life Wand from Iron Tombs in chloro because its just so awesome (even before it was buffed). I also still use 3 items of Clever Tormentor's gear because of the spellpower bonus its hard to beat after soft crit cap. I found a gear list that I think is fairly decent that seems to be updated for 1.7, its made by Windstorm. http://bluedots.org/content.php?199-Mage-Gear-List Go there and click the Pre-Cap tab of the spreadsheet because if you aren't t1 raid geared I doubt you are at soft crit cap even in chloro.

Since you don't have the hk 4set yet I'd say you could stick with the classic boring 51 chloro/15 warlock build, it hasn't changed much if any over the months. 36/30 would be good in a raid (like a 10 man) if there's no archon, or I guess if you click off the archon haste buff. Drowned Halls gear got seriously buffed, more than it needed, so you could get geared up pretty freakin easy if you did that, and its an easy raid too so they shouldn't mind that you aren't super geared if you know the fights.

Soulwalker

wow I totally missed that gear lists, thanks man! I'm currently checking and yeah most surely I'm under the crit cap, the rest should be ok, I didn't know they upgraded the loot so I was thinking I could just farm dungeons for currencies, but this is even better if I can snatch some BIS pieces and generally get something good before too long.I'm not sure I ever did drowned halls so I'm going to check into that to get on par, hopefully I'll find a raiding guild that likes the fact that rift is not my only mmo =P

Any help with the dps would be nice too since I'm mainly dps usually I used chloro when we had no one that could cover it so rarely <.<

36/30 pyro lock is fine for a dps spec whatever your gear level although it gets a signifcant boost when you have enough raid gear for the synergy crystal bonus.

If you have the spare role slots, i'd also recommend getting sc/pyro as an aoe spec that does fine single target. http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...e-pve-dps.html
    Zykey Mage - 8/8 ID, 4/4 PF
    Zykelot Cleric - 8/8 ID, 4/4 PF

This is my Chloro Healing spec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niegc7QcilM

Burning Fury, Glyphs of Power, and Burning Intellect boost your DPS, Burning Shield is a nice little defensive skill, and Flicker is very valuable for getting out of AoE's or breaking CC so you can keep healing.

At low rank in PVP, you're jsut not going to be able to kill people very well, and you'll be squishy.

So...this is what I started out with...

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...sVu0korrk.c.-5

I macro'd the Hell out of everything and focused on being surviveable, and being able to neutralize key players on the other side...whether it is a healer, or that rogue on YOUR healer.

This build can really slow down and neutralize just about anyone with it's Dom abilities (Use Reflective Presence a LOT)..while at the same time offered nice surviveablity with Mortality, Shadow Life, and Neddra's Essence....they will have to WORK to take you down.

You won't get a lot of fancy numbers in the scoreboard, but the other team will HATE you, and if you protect your healers, they'll love you. It's not necessary to kill the guys on your healers, just to slow them down and neutralize them so that your healers can do their job.

I would make two long macros..one for casters and one for non casters....going from long CD skills to short CD skills.

Squirrel and Reflective Presence are your friends. Forget about Life Leech.

Casting Dark Touch, Neddra's Grasp, and Radiate Death in order is a nice little AoE skill.

Save Split Personality for when someone is up in your grille.

Use Arresting Presence on someone near their healers/casters.

There are other ways to go, but I found this pretty fun to play and effective in PVP at low ranks.

Around what used to be rank 6 (don't know what that would be now) you can go with more of a DPS spec. I would say when your spell power hits 1300+.
    Last edited by Vihar; 02-23-2012 at 07:35 AM.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

+ Reply to Thread