Closed Thread

Thread: Mage with best survivability

Soulwalker

Default Mage with best survivability

Which Mage soul, souls or combination of souls has the best survivability? Warlock? Chloro? Warlock/Chloro?

Champion of Telara

34/32 chloro lock. That's about all you're good for though... surviving. Best combi to use for early PvP levels.

Chloro/dom has a few interesting survival techniques revolving around disabling your opponent. Requires a bit more skill to use and has more utility.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the answer.

I'd like to make a DPS Mage but with the best survivability I can get without compromising DPS too much.

So I suppose the question is, which of the viable DPS builds has the best survivability?

Many thanks

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Bazior View Post
    Thanks for the answer.

I'd like to make a DPS Mage but with the best survivability I can get without compromising DPS too much.

So I suppose the question is, which of the viable DPS builds has the best survivability?

Many thanks
    Pyrolock doesn't have terrible survivability

You can pick up a little more increased Max. health from 'lock if you really need it, but you should be fine with a standard 36/30.

Just make sure you use the shield if there is a mechanic about to go off that may kill you.

If you're low geared maybe try 51 ele 15 sc, the 10% damage mitigation might help, but once you get gear it starts to fall behind, way behind.

This is all PvE of course.
    Doesn't matter what is put here, someone is going to @#%^& about it, regardless of what it is.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by AWHavoc View Post
    Pyrolock doesn't have terrible survivability

You can pick up a little more increased Max. health from 'lock if you really need it, but you should be fine with a standard 36/30.

Just make sure you use the shield if there is a mechanic about to go off that may kill you.

If you're low geared maybe try 51 ele 15 sc, the 10% damage mitigation might help, but once you get gear it starts to fall behind, way behind.

This is all PvE of course.
    Thanks for the info.

I'm basically returning after a hiatus from the game. Played a 50 rogue before, melee DPS in another game. So now I'd basically like to damage from afar, don't want to do it with a bow but hate the squishy of mage so wanted the tougher one. I think that might clarify what I'm looking for?

I'd like to play a Mage which can dip into either pvp or pve so I was thinking something with heavy warlock. Necro seems like a good 'some pointer' as it ups death damage and the like and I was looking towards pyro for cast speed, interrupt protection and the flame cage thing but then the rest deep lock.

Then I thought "hey that might suck at DPS". Are the most successful builds usually something like a 30/30 split?

Soulwalker

Not sure how it fares in PvP but i've been running around with a 34/32 pyro/chloro hybrid. In PvE i can take on a lot of mobs at once via the use of Radiant Spores and Fire storm, using any of my insta cast heals when i'm in the **** and using Corrosion as another small heal/additional aoe damage. Also has some decent ST damage through fireball/flame bolt/countdown and inferno.

Otherwise the most survival worthy build as someone mentioned is 34/32 chlorolock, but you will sacrifice a lot of damage.

Which Mage soul, souls or combination of souls has the best survivability? Warlock? Chloro? Warlock/Chloro?
    For PvP? Chlorodom. It's a fairly complex spec though, takes quite some time to master. Pyrodom is much easier and has more burst but less survivability
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Sehnsucht is almost impossible to translate adequately and describes a deep emotional state.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Reija View Post
    Not sure how it fares in PvP but i've been running around with a 34/32 pyro/chloro hybrid. In PvE i can take on a lot of mobs at once via the use of Radiant Spores and Fire storm, using any of my insta cast heals when i'm in the **** and using Corrosion as another small heal/additional aoe damage. Also has some decent ST damage through fireball/flame bolt/countdown and inferno.
    At the moment i use a few similar builds.

For PvE i have a 51 Pyro 8 chloro 7 umm... somethin or other.

For Pvp i tend to use a 40 pyro 26 chloro atm but im playing around with other combo's. I'd like a chloro/necro build i enjoy but at the moment i just cant quite get there.

i tried chloro/lock and... ugh. Yeah i could live longer but i wasnt killing anything other than squirrels in Freemarch and a level 28 that got into Stillmoor (sorry dude )

Plane Walker

Thanks for the info.

I'm basically returning after a hiatus from the game. Played a 50 rogue before, melee DPS in another game. So now I'd basically like to damage from afar, don't want to do it with a bow but hate the squishy of mage so wanted the tougher one. I think that might clarify what I'm looking for?

I'd like to play a Mage which can dip into either pvp or pve so I was thinking something with heavy warlock. Necro seems like a good 'some pointer' as it ups death damage and the like and I was looking towards pyro for cast speed, interrupt protection and the flame cage thing but then the rest deep lock.

Then I thought "hey that might suck at DPS". Are the most successful builds usually something like a 30/30 split?
    Try 36lock 30 pyro for PvE

Chloro/Dom for PvP

Pyro/Dom for PvP if you want to kill stuff fast, and are working in a group, but survivability in this spec depends on your ability to kite, stay unnoticed/not get hit

You really can't go high survivability dps for both PvE and PvP in the same spec without sacrificing too much for the other.

It's best to have 2 separate roles imo
    Last edited by AWHavoc; 02-21-2012 at 09:04 AM.

For PvE soloing, I use 36/30 chlorolock. It's not the fastest DPS, but I only have survivability issues if I make stupid decisions on pulling, or get overwhelmed with invasions during an Onslaught. I recommend shielding greaters in your sigil, like Frozen Deep One Tear and Hailstone Tideshard. These will proc on your Veil heals and prevent most of the damage you'd take.

Soulwalker

Default PyroDom is very survivable

A little healing from Incompetence, but the Flicker/Heat Wave/Flicker/Burning Shield macro makes breaking out from snares, extending, and damage reduction a breeze. If you manage to get Storm Shackle off on them first, so much the better; they are almost guaranteed to give chase and wreck themselves.

I think this is a build best suited to max Valor damage reduction, though. You need to be able to surve that initial burst from a rogue in order to make this work. That being said, the other day I had a rogue give up in disgust after chasing me all across the WF. "So much bull****" he yelled as he peeled back to try and find a healer to pick on. Too bad I had blown all my CD's; he would have had me if he would have continued and pushed me a little. :-)

Banned

He was probably rank 1

Closed Thread