+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: The new faceroll mage dot spec

  1. #1
    Rift Chaser Swordplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    336

    Default The new faceroll mage dot spec

    This spec is so high dot dmg iam loving it might be good in pvp only tried it on dummies in pts
    So far gettin 3.7k void bolt crits and 1k defile ticks 850lifeleach ticks and 700 necro tick and 700 dark touch tick good **** Trion Love
    heres link to spec

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...qek.x0M.x0c.-5
    Pvp tournament 5v5 Pts Alpha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc4lT..._order&list=UL
    Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    SwordPlay aka ReapingGlory #1 Mage
    Phalooz aka Cromagis #1 Warrior
    Come and take the titles!

  2. #2
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordplay View Post
    This spec is so high dot dmg iam loving it might be good in pvp only tried it on dummies in pts
    So far gettin 3.7k void bolt crits and 1k defile ticks 850lifeleach ticks and 700 necro tick and 700 dark touch tick good **** Trion Love
    heres link to spec

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...qek.x0M.x0c.-5
    Doesn't work in pvp.

    First things first: cut all that damage in half for valor.

    Now realize that you have to effectively stack your dots twice before you start doing any real damage - first to build up your charge bar, then again after you've activated empowered darkness.

    Finally, what happens when one of the countless doms casts deny? Or a rogue uses cleanse soul? Or a VK goes immune to debuffs? Or a cleric's endless HoT spam passively cleanses your active casts?

    The best way to describe warlock? It's like playing pyro, except it takes you longer to start doing less damage, and that damage is insanely vulnerable to dispel.

  3. #3
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    451

    Default

    yeah however much i would love for lock to be viable for pvp it just wont happen unless they make dots uncleansable. Just to many easy ways to get dots off right now,not to mention the damage they do and that fact that you NEED ED to make anything worthwhile.

    Im not to good with ideas and wha not but i read something awhile back saying it would be nice to give some sort of penalty to purging dots off. I would say something like if the dot was purged do an instant damage of half of what the full duration dot was supposed to do maybe? I dunno.

    I played chlorolock/lock varitations since release and its really upsetting to see defile tick for double digits sometimes.

    I also think lock really needs a new arsenal of debuffs, not just dots but debuffs along the lines of neddras; maybe something that does damage everytime you cleanse,purge,heal; or hell just make neddras actually hurt when u do proc it much like doms SS.

  4. #4
    Banned Bunzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,823

    Default

    They need to buff the dot damage or make them uncleansable.
    Last edited by Bunzy; 02-21-2012 at 07:12 AM.

  5. #5
    Rift Chaser Swordplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    336

    Default

    they already buffed dot dmg like i said maybe its good in pvp i think a variation of it would be better theres more specs to mess with for 1.8
    Pvp tournament 5v5 Pts Alpha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc4lT..._order&list=UL
    Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    SwordPlay aka ReapingGlory #1 Mage
    Phalooz aka Cromagis #1 Warrior
    Come and take the titles!

  6. #6
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordplay View Post
    This spec is so high dot dmg iam loving it might be good in pvp only tried it on dummies in pts
    So far gettin 3.7k void bolt crits and 1k defile ticks 850lifeleach ticks and 700 necro tick and 700 dark touch tick good **** Trion Love
    heres link to spec

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...qek.x0M.x0c.-5
    sorry i may have missed this in your post, but i assume this is with the mage changes to lock (50%dmg to ED instead of 75%, streamlined dot duration and dmg buff, etc?)

    I tried this exact spec (well just 9 necro/6 pyro, but similar) on 1.7 live and it is not effective - max voidbolt dmg was like 2k with 5 dots (no nadra grasp)) on 1103 valor. I had 1790 spell power.

    Vampyre

  7. #7
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Swordplay you should try 38/28 lock pyro. I have been trying to get vampero to run it. I run it like dissb and it works really well. Two hour run today by myself went 140 - 20 in library. Would be something diff for ya to run.
    Affinity of Greybriar

    Belmont since Beta!

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser Swordplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devilman View Post
    Swordplay you should try 38/28 lock pyro. I have been trying to get vampero to run it. I run it like dissb and it works really well. Two hour run today by myself went 140 - 20 in library. Would be something diff for ya to run.
    you talken about pvp? if so i tried its not strong if healers are around
    Pvp tournament 5v5 Pts Alpha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc4lT..._order&list=UL
    Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    SwordPlay aka ReapingGlory #1 Mage
    Phalooz aka Cromagis #1 Warrior
    Come and take the titles!

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Queezy View Post
    yeah however much i would love for lock to be viable for pvp it just wont happen unless they make dots uncleansable. Just to many easy ways to get dots off right now,not to mention the damage they do and that fact that you NEED ED to make anything worthwhile.

    Im not to good with ideas and wha not but i read something awhile back saying it would be nice to give some sort of penalty to purging dots off. I would say something like if the dot was purged do an instant damage of half of what the full duration dot was supposed to do maybe? I dunno.

    I played chlorolock/lock varitations since release and its really upsetting to see defile tick for double digits sometimes.

    I also think lock really needs a new arsenal of debuffs, not just dots but debuffs along the lines of neddras; maybe something that does damage everytime you cleanse,purge,heal; or hell just make neddras actually hurt when u do proc it much like doms SS.
    That was me - heres a copy/paste

    "Instead of just straight up, boring Un-purgeable, why not something more interesting?

    Assuming Warlock dots are as bad as you say they are and need a boost (I'm not casting doubt, I just honestly don't have much experience with them), there are alot of ways I think they could be changed which would be really interesting, rather than just "More damage" or "Cant dispel"

    A)When Dispelled, Dots do x% of their total damage to both the afflicted character and cleanser.
    B)When dispelled, Dots are Reapplied at half the current remaining timer to both the target and the dispeller, and are further immune to dispel (so a cleanse cuts the time, rather than outright dispelling them)
    C)Dot casts receive some kind of GCD buffs. Maybe all the instant casts only trigger a .5s GCD, or casting A specific dot lets you cast 2 More Instantly, off GCD.
    D)A New Dot - Decimation (just making up a name on the fly). It deals damage, and also when a target afflicted by decimation is dispelled, decimation is automatically chosen as the dispelled Dot, and immediately purges all friendly effects on the target (and maybe the cleansing caster too). This one would be a killer in PVP as a shield for all kinds of debuffs
    E)Each dot gets a specific effect applied to the Target (and again, maybe the dispelling caster) when dispelled - Mana drains, movement debuffs, silences, healing debuffs, damage debuffs, etc...

    Many of the suggestions above would obviously require tweaking and playtesting; maybe a slight boost to overall damage in addition to some of the ideas would be warranted, and some of the cooler ones up there would likely need to be talented in the Lock tree, but I think they sound WAY more interesting than 'More damage" alone. Attaching "dispel" effects to dots sounds like the only way to keep them from being dispel spammed. "

    Another idea that has hit me since i made this Post - A dot (or a talent that makes all dots) apply an additional tick for each HoT tick a target receives. The possibilities are endless.

    Like this quote from me says - "More damage" is just boring, especially considering all the creativity you could pour into Dots in general. It'd make the warlock an entirely different threat than most mage builds are now, while still being dangerous, relevant, and fun to play.

    Also Lock -needs- something like Spark - whats the point of a ton of instant cast dots with a 1.5s GCD, especially when the class has an option for a reduced GCD in a different soul?

  10. #10
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    733

    Default

    You'd be better off going 11 archon/4 pyro. Necrosis is garbage right now and in 1.8 will only be less stinky garbage. Leeching flames is going to hit like a truck in 1.8, and with pyro armor(the reason for 4 pyro) working with imp. mage armor like it does will be even better. Not to mention searing vitality.

    But all of this doesn't change the fact that DoTs will still be useless in PvP. Deny, passive clease, cleanse soul, VK cleanse, etc. You might stomp noobs, but you could probably stomp noobs as 51 archon, in a fight with competent enemies you will find yourself useless and frustrated.
    Rank 8, 11/11

  11. #11
    Ascendant Trisian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,498

    Default

    The strange thing is as much as I complain about being a "cleanse bot" in pvp when playing my Cleric, mages aren't using death damage like they use to.

    For now it's all about the Cinderburst until it gets nerfed again.
    Last edited by Trisian; 02-22-2012 at 07:19 AM.

  12. #12
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trisian View Post
    The strange thing is as much as I complain about being a "cleanse bot" in pvp when playing my Cleric, mages aren't using death damage like they use to.
    We would if it wasn't pointless.
    Rank 8, 11/11

  13. #13
    Ascendant Eughe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,409

    Default

    Are many of you ignoring the total changing of how Mark of puri works in 1.8 on purpose?
    Last edited by Eughe; 02-22-2012 at 07:30 AM.

  14. #14
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    Are many of you ignoring the total changing of how Mark of puri works in 1.8 on purpose?
    Ok so in a month I'll change the auto cleanse to "curative waters + chance for double cleanse". I wonder how it will work with curative waters, actually. Anyways, the other classes' cleanses are bigger issues for DoTs. Auto-cleanse was just icing on the "wtf" cake.
    Rank 8, 11/11

  15. #15
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    Are many of you ignoring the total changing of how Mark of puri works in 1.8 on purpose?
    DOT specs are still bad even with that change. Dom = Deny. Rogue = Cleanse soul. Warrior = VK cleanse. Clerics can just roll passive cleanse on themselves which will do just fine.

    Even with a single target cleanse you can literally neutralize a warlock. If you just single target cleanse the dots they're flinging it's too easy to just cleanse them and because they have no real viable nukes without dots rolling their DPS is garbage.

    Warlocks don't get a stacking debuff combined with control to protect their dots. There's no haunting pain. SV is ineffective as it's constantly reapplying the debuff so it's always last off instead of first off. Without any sort of spell that provides cleanse protection for the dots the builds will always be sub-par in PVP where burst ability is favored anyway.
    Jayko <Breaking Bads> 5/8 ID Grammar National Socialist
    www.breakingbads.enjin.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts