+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: It's MAGEtastic! Kiting 101(PvP video)

Shield of Telara

Default It's MAGEtastic! Kiting 101(PvP video)

So this is my first video ever made. Basically threw it together just to get my feet wet in making movies. Don't have a big enough hard drive to record full sessions and edit from there so I had to start recording when it looked like I might have a chance to do some kiting. Definitely plan on doing some more intricate editing tricks in the future like making songs change with scenes and epic parts of the song synching with big hits, etc. but for now I just wanted to see what I could throw together quickly.

All clips taken from earlier today and last night. Took me about 45 minutes worth of editing. Tips, advice and what not(on both editing and gameplay) are all appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UpUElKUdpU
    Rank 8, 11/11

Shadowlander

first two clips were not so great cuz the opponent had the good ol stats buffer buff on them but the rest of the play was pretty decent actually, the 11 sc is a good idea to make 51 pyro more survivable and im not gonna lie, hastened withdrawal plus ride the wind is great, i might have to try 11 sc to get a little better survivability against these damn melee trains

thx for posting

Shadowlander

I'm trying out your build, and I want to like it, but I just cant justify losing all the goodies in a 15 warlock offsoul to gain ride the wind.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Fwosty View Post
    I'm trying out your build, and I want to like it, but I just cant justify losing all the goodies in a 15 warlock offsoul to gain ride the wind.
    Can't say I disagree, I like lock better. Just having some fun
    Rank 8, 11/11

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Fwosty View Post
    Stupid edit timer...

not to mention you also gain an AoE snare (AB), st snare(icicle), 25% damage shield that also snares, and a ranged knockback(electrocute much better than flame jet). I've debated going deeper and using lightning field(with no stacks lawl) just to proc storm shard so you can snare on the move.
    Last edited by ElusiveJones; 02-20-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    Rank 8, 11/11

Shield of Telara

Ok I'm streaming me running this spec now if anyone is interested.

http://www.justin.tv/aughra
    Rank 8, 11/11

Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveJones View Post
    Stupid edit timer...

not to mention you also gain an AoE snare (AB), st snare(icicle), 25% damage shield that also snares, and a ranged knockback(electrocute much better than flame jet). I've debated going deeper and using lightning field(with no stacks lawl) just to proc storm shard so you can snare on the move.
    " I've debated going deeper and using lightning field(with no stacks lawl) just to proc storm shard so you can snare on the move."

If you wanted to give up Archon and take Dom instead you could do that with Neural Prod.

If you did this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z_ys..x0qb.M.-0

You'd pick up another knocked back and an interrupt. Also both your SC and DOM knock back, Burn and Flashfire would proc Quick Thinking.

I use to run a spec very similar it yours.
    Last edited by Jeremiahcp; 02-20-2012 at 07:56 PM.

lgw

Good stuff (although I could only watch... no sound at work ), but I guess you added some explanations.

Things I'd like to add:
    * Stop-moving for big nukes to employ GOP (ala move - stop shortly to fire Cinder / Fulmi / ... - move on)
    * Remember to still use Flame Jet regularly - it's decent damage, and those disconnects add up.
    * Change directions, up to running through melees if they just closed in.
    * Time Flickers just after their Gap Closers, same goes for CC (as most melees these days share have shared CC breakers & gap closers).
    * As usual pre-kite and try to catch them at >30y... there your Fire Cage has a chance of staying up.
    * Don't run when a MM puts Barbed Shot on you.

I still much prefer Ele - the mitigation and the ability to spam a decent fire spell (Ignite) just gread. If you use SC I guess spamming CB beats spamming SV for Charge generation / damage, unless you're fishing for Flickers.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    Good stuff (although I could only watch... no sound at work ), but I guess you added some explanations.

Things I'd like to add:
    * Stop-moving for big nukes to employ GOP (ala move - stop shortly to fire Cinder / Fulmi / ... - move on)
    * Remember to still use Flame Jet regularly - it's decent damage, and those disconnects add up.
    * Change directions, up to running through melees if they just closed in.
    * Time Flickers just after their Gap Closers, same goes for CC (as most melees these days share have shared CC breakers & gap closers).
    * As usual pre-kite and try to catch them at >30y... there your Fire Cage has a chance of staying up.
    * Don't run when a MM puts Barbed Shot on you.

I still much prefer Ele - the mitigation and the ability to spam a decent fire spell (Ignite) just gread. If you use SC I guess spamming CB beats spamming SV for Charge generation / damage, unless you're fishing for Flickers.
    Yeah, the moving thing with big nukes is usually to cancel a fireball cast or if I'm already in kiting mode. Something I'm aware of but need to do better.

As for CB vs SV, the reason I was spamming that when I had no other fire instants really was to try and proc pyro armor. I didn't think about ele, though, ignite would definitely work, although you lose RTW, don't you?

Last night I tired 15 SC I liked it a lot more. The ability to proc storm shard on the move even though lightning field doens't do any damage I found to be a huge improvement for kiting, and I throw cloudburst behind icicle in a macro so I have a spam button when I just need to do a little bit of damage, but still have searing vitality if I want to try and proc pyro armo(the reason I didn't trade archon for dom).

All in all, it's interested to watch yourself play. I agree with pretty much everything you said LGW, but what's funny is that prior to watching this, I thought I was pretty good at all of those things. After I made this and watched there was definitely a lot of "why did i do that?!" why didn't i do this?!" moments.
    Rank 8, 11/11

lgw

Yeah, people are actually pretty good (often up to harsh) when criticising oneself -- they just need a chance to watch themselves well. We used videos quite a lot in sport instructing as it became affordable.

And yes, Ele loses you RtW, but it gives you a permanent stacking 10% damage reduction (brings me up to 68% base), on top of 5% crit, Exposure for hard targets and a second emergency shield.
    Although SC is certaily a creative approach, and Icy Vortex is certainly tempting as well.

PS: Just not being perfect doesn't mean you aren't good.
    Last edited by lgw; 02-21-2012 at 10:03 AM.

lgw

You really should watch this -- good instructions !

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    You really should watch this -- good instructions !
    Hmm? I didn't actually say anything in the video. You trollin, me brah? :P

I've ended up taking your ele idea and settled on a 4x/11ele/11sc build. You lose fulminate but meh, kiting takes charge so not a big deal. Ignite is a much better instant to spam on the run than searing vitality, and I underestimated exposure. Looks like the 7% comes after all the damage calculations, meaning it's effectively a flat 7% increase.
    Rank 8, 11/11

lgw

Instructions can just as well come in practical presentation - and frankly, I just wanted to keep a great thread alive.

Interesting approach on seconding both Ele and SC !
    And yeah, that 7% are actually multiplicative, as it's on the target. Possibly even better, as it might directly diminish Valor - but I didn't test that in detail. I mainly use it for hard targets like Cleric healers when I burst assist.

nice vid! Its great to see people posting cool pvp stuff
    SEYA

Default Marksmans

ohhhhhhhhhhh, im supposed to kite marksmans too, thats why i die to them?

lol, btw, i wish i had 750 plat in my bag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast