+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why is my dps so low? and sp vs base dmg

Default Why is my dps so low? and sp vs base dmg

Hey guys, My spec is 36 pyro, 30 lock, 0 arch

Stats 1306 SP ( 269.2)
    Crit -809 (35.67)
    Focus-314

In raid I do between 900-1100 dps...usually 990. When I cast just the fireball on the dummie my normal hit is 1206 and crit is 1812..now the base dmg of the fireball is 1134-1142...so how is it possible that i only get 72 bonus dmg on the fireball on normal hits??? Please help, I'm really fru with all that low dps...

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Supernovaa View Post
    Hey guys, My spec is 36 pyro, 30 lock, 0 arch

Stats 1306 SP ( 269.2)
    Crit -809 (35.67)
    Focus-314

In raid I do between 900-1100 dps...usually 990. When I cast just the fireball on the dummie my normal hit is 1206 and crit is 1812..now the base dmg of the fireball is 1134-1142...so how is it possible that i only get 72 bonus dmg on the fireball on normal hits??? Please help, I'm really fru with all that low dps...
    What's your dot uptime?
    You paying attention to charge management?
    Not wasting any opportunity procs on Fireball when they can go cinder?
    Running Fire Armor?
    Do you have any synergy crystal at all?
    Keeping Flame Bolt up full time?

Maybe post a video of you Parsing on a dummy, and load a S/s of a breakdown of an ACT parse.
    Might help diagnose any issues.

Shadowlander

My first question would be if you're using anything besides Fireball in your rotation.

I played w\ this mage the past 2 nights who apparently just has his rotation down solid...

I was worried when he got invited to a group the other night since he had a green source engine w\ 4 low level lessers in it... and then some hk drops and t1 raid gear.

And yet he was parsing near the top in an ROS group last night even w\ a couple people being more geared than him.

One thing a guildie pointed out to me about pyro is that at a certain point, you're getting 1.2% fire damage increase per point that's put into pyro... so, it's really worth putting more points into pyro even if you're not going to use some of the abilities.

I'm around 1250ish unbuffed SP and if i blow heat wave and what not I get upwards of 1800-2000. I think my current dps build is 50 pyro 10 lock and 6 archon for pillaging stone buff and for consuming flames. I have the greater essence that gives +90 spell power when you use consuming flames.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Archemys View Post
    I played w\ this mage the past 2 nights who apparently just has his rotation down solid...

I was worried when he got invited to a group the other night since he had a green source engine w\ 4 low level lessers in it... and then some hk drops and t1 raid gear.

And yet he was parsing near the top in an ROS group last night even w\ a couple people being more geared than him.

One thing a guildie pointed out to me about pyro is that at a certain point, you're getting 1.2% fire damage increase per point that's put into pyro... so, it's really worth putting more points into pyro even if you're not going to use some of the abilities.
    This is not entirely accurate. Warlock gives 1.5% per point spent. The reason why only 30 points are spent in the warlock tree is because there are far more powerful abilities on the pyro side up to 36 points spent. On warlock side you have lifeleech, but its fairly useless. You want at least 31 points in pyro for heatwave and 30 in warlock for max sp base damage. That leaves 5 points which are better spent on pyro tree versus warlock tree when you see what choices you have left.

On the 38 warlock / 28 pyro spec sacrifices in pyro tree were made to get defile in warlock tree
    11/11 HK 7/8 ID

Soulwalker

I'm around 1250ish unbuffed SP and if i blow heat wave and what not I get upwards of 1800-2000. I think my current dps build is 50 pyro 10 lock and 6 archon for pillaging stone buff and for consuming flames. I have the greater essence that gives +90 spell power when you use consuming flames.
    Whats your rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by AWHavoc View Post
    Running Fire Armor?
    Wait what? Why not Pyromancer's Armor?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by RickWolford View Post
    Right now it's apparently bugged and adds more dmg than it should, but I used to parse slightly better with it before 1.7 anyway (which is when I assume it got bugged?), it scales better maybe? But the main advantage is that it lets you get firestorm without sacrificing anything.

To OP: I guarantee it's mainly a rotation issue, there's a link somewhere in the "mage guides" section to a very good guide for the 36/30 build.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by RickWolford View Post
    Well, I know for me over a 5m parse for each I always parse higher with Fire Armor.

1853 spell power self buffed, ~2.3k on a dummy over 5 minutes. Could probably pull higher, but to be honest, I can't figure out how

But yeah, Fire Armor generally pulls ahead for me at the moment, so I see no reason to spec into pyro armor.
    I put that point into Improved Combustion, same with the point from Flicker, tbh Firestorm is a waste, If I'm assigned to AoE I go sc/pyro, If I'm not assigned to AoE, then I just don't AoE.
    Doesn't matter what is put here, someone is going to @#%^& about it, regardless of what it is.

Rift Disciple

That's not a very logical build, you're 1 point away from fulminate which would definitely be a dps gain, few points in warlock and you get a big boost to your dots, although I bet you're just fireball/cinderburst spamming with that build in which case I guess it is logical Depends on your goal, I say if it's fun-do it But for max dps you should go 36/30 pyro/lock which would require learning a harder and potentially less fun rotation.

+ Reply to Thread