+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: With Patch 1.7, is Zoomancer still viable???

General of Telara SanguineDeath's Avatar

Default With Patch 1.7, is Zoomancer still viable???

Hello all

Been away for a while playing tor and wow. I like to play games as long as I find them fun... With that being said, it's been a while since I've been on and was wondering if Zoomancer was still one of the best mage specs out there or has it been replaced, as many things usually are, with something better? If so, what is that spec and can you like the soul trees - thanks

If you try to use anything other than variations of pyro/lock or pyro/archon you basically get tarred and feathered, then shunned by the leet min/max community. Could you still use it? Sure, but its probably a good 4-500dps lower than the top builds out there. Unfortunately trion hates pet classes atm, hopefully they give them all a boost in the near future.

Oh great, now i have to respec everything all over again... sigh... really need to stay with one spec already lol

Quote Originally Posted by Relair View Post
    If you try to use anything other than variations of pyro/lock or pyro/archon you basically get tarred and feathered, then shunned by the leet min/max community. Could you still use it? Sure, but its probably a good 4-500dps lower than the top builds out there. Unfortunately trion hates pet classes atm, hopefully they give them all a boost in the near future.
    More like 1000-1500 dps less.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

so what happened to the build? Did the classes get nerfed?? Just trying to understand as to why I have to keep respecing all the time

I'm also looking and don't see many ppl using necromancer tree - this isn't viable anymore?? Where's the survivability factor when lvling? Is the mage spec even really viable anymore??

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SanguineDeath View Post
    I'm also looking and don't see many ppl using necromancer tree - this isn't viable anymore?? Where's the survivability factor when lvling? Is the mage spec even really viable anymore??
    For a leveling and solo spec I'd argue Necro/Lock is still the best available. It just doesn't hold up in a raid.

Zoomancer was a fun gimmick. It didn't scale well, and the changes to how pets work borked the DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    For a leveling and solo spec I'd argue Necro/Lock is still the best available. It just doesn't hold up in a raid.

Zoomancer was a fun gimmick. It didn't scale well, and the changes to how pets work borked the DPS.
    Wait, the pets changed?? How so?? Someone mentioned that Trion doesn't "like" pet classes now - what does that mean?? Thanks

I also get the feeling that this game is moving in the direction of you "have" to play this build or get lost... Am I wrong?? What if I want to combine a healing spec with a dps spec for survivability or just to play it for fun?? This game is getting way to complicated... Just want to play and have fun - now it's turning into some type of dps grind torture...
    Last edited by SanguineDeath; 02-20-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Wait, the pets changed?? How so?? Someone mentioned that Trion doesn't "like" pet classes now - what does that mean?? Thanks

I also get the feeling that this game is moving in the direction of you "have" to play this build or get lost... Am I wrong?? What if I want to combine a healing spec with a dps spec for survivability or just to play it for fun?? This game is getting way to complicated... Just want to play and have fun - now it's turning into some type of dps grind torture...
    in any game you play there's going to be top specs

you can play any spec you want just don't expect to be welcomed into doing anything more advanced than normal dungeons and rifts

Plane Touched

I don't believe the pets changed, but spotter's order did. With Zoomancer you would have a bunch of pets all hitting the boss and each attack by each pet was being buffed by spotter's order.

When spotter's got changed to just straight up proc dmg and not allowing pets to proc it, the zoomancer spec died.

(I think this is accurate, I didn't play my mage during the zoomancer era)

Quote Originally Posted by Soul sky View Post
    Yeah I meant pet specs in general, 51nec or 51ele is about 4-500 less, zoomancer specifically without spotters is totally useless.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Relair View Post
    Yeah I meant pet specs in general, 51nec or 51ele is about 4-500 less, zoomancer specifically without spotters is totally useless.
    Rank 8, 11/11

Sorry to ask but what is, "spotter's order" anyway? I don't remember reading about it and I have a few pet classes. What is it and what does it refer to in reference to mages, hunters, rogues, etc...

So I'm guessing it's back to necrolock again lol. Fire is ok, I have a fire mage in WoW and it's kind of boring - you just shoot fire basically and that's it... not really to creative. At least with Necrolock, you have good survivability, have a pet and a choice of different spells to play with; not the same fire ball, aoe fire this, burn that, ignite this, torch that... Maybe if they gave a different color to the type of fire spells (blue, green - for all you wow'ers that remember "fel-flame," purple, etc...) that we did, I would be interested in perhaps using that spec. Maybe sounds shallow but at least 1) it's pretty and 2) gives the "illusion" your doing more with the same thing lol. Besides, Trion uses a great engine, so a recolour shouldn't be a biggie. With all the changes, is Necrolock "viable" again. God, I feel like I'm going around in circles like a dog chasing his tail with all the respeccing going on. They really need to keep one spec and be done with it already.
    Last edited by SanguineDeath; 02-20-2012 at 02:19 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

Sorry to ask but what is, "spotter's order" anyway? I don't remember reading about it and I have a few pet classes. What is it and what does it refer to in reference to mages, hunters, rogues, etc...
    Pet's auto attacks were put on the Global Cooldown. This was directly in response to a very major bug that allowed players to macro "petattack" and then run an external macro (macro that isn't within the game) that would push that button 100 times a second, and cause the pet to attack 100 times a second. It was a fun day in the Warzones!

Spotter's Order is a Warrior Warlord debuff that causes any damage done to a target, deal an additional amount of damage: http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/81288...er's-Order Usually in the neighborhood of like 360 depending on the targets armor.
    This used to proc off of every single pets auto attack, thereby making the 500 pets the Zoomancer has deal a lot of additional damage.
    It was changed so that it can only proc once every 3 seconds per player, and pets could not proc it. This balanced out the discrepancy in DPS between classes who attacked every few seconds (Mages) and classes who attack every second (Rogues).

The idea that Trion hates pet classes or is moving away from pet classes is absurd. There are always good specs and bad specs and those change on a pretty regular basis. Patch 1.6 saw the rise of the Pyro/Lock. But between 1.4 - 1.6 it was SC/Ele (a pet spec). In fact it used to be a very common complaint that only pet builds were viable.
    Trion tries to give people a lot of options, but that doesn't always work out. Give it some time and things will change again.

Edit: on a side not, an equivalent of Spotter's Order can be cast by Archons and Bards now.
    Last edited by bluedot; 02-20-2012 at 02:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast