+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on cast time mechanics

Champion

Default Question on cast time mechanics

I'm working on a new mage spreadsheet (which I hope to be super awesome and much more accurate than anything I've played around with in the past), and I need some help figuring out how Rift calculates cast time modifiers.

For 15% casting speed bonus (Burning Purpose + Ignition) being applied to a 2.0s Pillaging Stone, is it...

A) 2/1.15 = 1.74s

or

B) 2*.85 = 1.70s

I'm assuming it's method A, but I'm not 100% positive since the in-game tooltips only reflect up to one tenth of a second. Anyone know with more certainty?

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Veev View Post
    I'm working on a new mage spreadsheet (which I hope to be super awesome and much more accurate than anything I've played around with in the past), and I need some help figuring out how Rift calculates cast time modifiers.

For 15% casting speed bonus (Burning Purpose + Ignition) being applied to a 2.0s Pillaging Stone, is it...

A) 2/1.15 = 1.74s

or

B) 2*.85 = 1.70s

I'm assuming it's method A, but I'm not 100% positive since the in-game tooltips only reflect up to one tenth of a second. Anyone know with more certainty?
    C) Neither

In game tooltips round to the closest tenth, with standard upward rounding for middle values (ie: 1.75 goes to 1.8).

Innate talents fall into one group, and temporary buffs in another. Each are grouped additively, and interact together multiplicatively. For example, 3/3 void bolt gives 24% cast time reduction. Together with 5% from ignition, this is a 29% cast time reduction. This is a 2.0s * 0.71 = 1.42s cast time. Now apply burning purpose multiplicatively to get a 1.42 * 0.9 = 1.278s cast time.

As to your original question, you would have a 2*0.95*0.9 = 1.71s pillaging stone.

My question to Kervik was whether the game gives you a literal cast time of 1.71s, or whether it rounds it down to 1.7s (as the tooltip does) while casting. He failed to reply.
    Last edited by Kazzin; 02-17-2012 at 09:00 PM.

lgw

The one thing I'm relatively sure about is that your bonus from talents and Archon bonus are applied seperately. Just compare your cast times with 15% from Archon and without.

It's also very likely that method B) is correct.
    Just look like Ignition pushes FB down to 2s cast (base 2.5s; A: 2.5s / 1.2 = 2.083; B: 2.5s * 0.8 = 2s) or speccing Void Bolt brings it down to 1.5s (base 2s; A: 2s / 1.24 = 1.612s; B: 2s / 0.76 = 1.52s).
    Last edited by lgw; 02-18-2012 at 06:58 AM.

Champion

Nice, thanks for the info.

Champion

Not related to cast time, but another question someone may be able to help with...

When testing Archon buffs:

Started w/ 1780 SP
    Went to 1832 w/ Vitality of Stone
    Then to 2089 w/ Flaring Power

Flaring Power is a 15% bonus to SP. 2089/1.15 = 1816.521739130435

I was expecting it to either buff my unbuffed SP or my fully buffed SP, but I'm pretty confused how it calculated it now?

Prophet of Telara

I'm confused as to how you gained SP after throwing up VoS, but anyway.

The following are almost certainly bugs. Flaring Power affects none of these things:

-Archon 4pc crystal bonus SP
    -EI food SP
    -Trinket proc SP (only tested with RFC, but I assume all others too).

That said, there's a bug somewhere as FP consistently calculates the gain as if I have 1830 sp unbuffed, when it's actually 1850.

This can only be coming from gear, or PA's. I don't know which yet (and I'm not going to spend the time to find out), but I suspect there's a couple of broken PA hexes that FP isn't seeing.

Champion

Sorry, I should have specified. The archon buffs were from another player, not myself.

Also I had no other buffs of my own on.
    Last edited by Veev; 02-19-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Champion

I also definitely have more than 16 SP from PA's, so not really sure how to explain it.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Veev View Post
    I also definitely have more than 16 SP from PA's, so not really sure how to explain it.
    No, but perhaps particular hexes are bugged, like they were with swords for warriors (or was it rogues?),

Prophet of Telara

It's interesting that you're off by 16, and I'm off by 20. This suggests to me that broken hexes is almost certainly what's going on. Can you post your PA's?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzin View Post
    No, but perhaps particular hexes are bugged, like they were with swords for warriors (or was it rogues?),
    Not to steal your thread, but it was broken and complained about by rogues for a long time. When a warrior noticed it was broken for them to it was fixed the next patch.
    Last edited by Traciatim; 02-19-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Champion

I have all of the tier 1 sp/int/wis perks, and I'm about 2/3 done with tier 2 death

+ Reply to Thread