+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By masakari81

Thread: Made a "Lifestyle" Change

Default Made a "Lifestyle" Change

Ok. So the title is strange. But the point is, I have a cleric on Seastone, a Mage who'm I love, but recently some friends of mine transferred to Faeblight, because they said the people there were really fun to hang out with. I love the idea of PVP, but really have not delved to much into it, other than on my mage Dom/Warlock on Seastone.

I really like mages. Much actually. Not because they are OP because I usually play fun builds or things that ammuse me more than building for reaping doom. However on Faeblight I am rolling a mage again, only this time, I think I made the "Switch"!

I usually play guardians, so I rolled a defiant. My main on Fae is now a Archon/Pyro/Dom, which I just mashed together thinking it would be ammusing. I guess the issue is that Pyro seems very dull to me, but Archon seemed very interesting. I love the Archon story description, and the Idea of the Archon, and figured on a PVE-RP server it would be fun to play. It is for the most part.

Pyro though seems very blah. It could be just me. I have never really cared about huge numbers, and well, fire is sort of boreing. It does what it does well, and synergizes with Archon well. But it's sort of my least favorite of the mages. But when I looked through the other trees archon really likes the idea of Pyro. Or at least Pyro really enjoys benefits from the Archon trees.

I know I want Archon! Seems that the other trees don't much lend well to Archon, other than perhaps Elementalist. When sifting through builds (Which I never do, because I like making my own things) I see that most people who take Archon do spec pyro.

Do other things work? I know necro just seems to synergize with it's self mainly. Elementalist or Storm Caller don't mesh super well.

My goal is to have 51 points in Archon. I like that concept. Seems though in doing that I am destined to be a pyromaniac.

As for the Lifestyle change...It's that instead of running things I like, I am actually just following a cookie cutter. And it makes me feel dirty
    Last edited by Rhiss; 02-17-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Soulwalker

My 51 archon spec has points in dominator. Since archon is already about supporting the team, this works pretty well for me, since it adds an instant 'dispel everything', an aoe silence, and ofcourse polymorph.

Shield of Telara

Well, 51 archon is spefically designed for raid support. You are super squishy and don't deal much damage. You seem more concerned with doing what you want and think is enjoyable rather than doing things to their fullest potential, so I'm not really sure what advice I can give you? What do you want to do in rift? I would certainly not PvP as full archon, you will get dropped in a heartbeat with no survivability cooldowns apart from a weenie shield. If you just like to go in the world and do the quests with friends and the occasional dungeon, then you can really get away with anything, especially on a PvE server.

The problem with synergizing with full archon is that you don't have much room for casting other spells other than the ones that buff, earthen barrage, volcanic bomb/blast/surge/whatever, and the other one. In a raid rotation you get a few pillaging stone(highest damage spell for 51 archon) casts off in between, but that's about it.
    Rank 8, 11/11

I personally run with 51 points in Archon and the rest in Chloro.
    If you throw up the Lifegiving Veil, then you get a bit of a boost to your survivability.
    There is an ability that boosts your healing, and there's an AOE that boosts the healing done to any ally in the area of it while it damages the bad guys.

So long as you keep your buffs up, and the bad guys debuffed, you can actually survive do a fair amount of damage too.

Pyro is there to add a bit of damage to 51 Archon. At 6 points you get Flaring Glyphs. If you go 11 Dom for Arresting Presence, the leftovers can go Elementalist for the extra crit, Warlock for the extra charge, Pyro for either faster casts or cast pushback protection along with Fire Armor; if your raid lacks a Chloromancer, then you can go 4 into Chloro for Radiant Spores and a "usually up" 20% boost to Intelligence for a slightly stronger Mental Flare and Leeching Flames thanks to Natural Awareness if you cast Radiant Spores on cooldown. You could even do it without RS and work Vile Spores in every 3 or so casts to keep it up, or even Withering Vines for a little extra healing for the melee (emphasis on little). If you feel that you want some AoE, going 10 into Stormcaller nets you Forked Lightning, and a few more points gets a run speed boosting cooldown and some more zapping goodness.

Point is, you have a lot of options other than Pyro if you don't want to go that route with 51 Archon. The souls you take with it will determine whether you bring a little extra utility or a little extra damage, and it's your call which to take. I prefer 11Dom myself, and experiment with the last four points from week to week, just because I see my role in a raid more as a utility bringer with personal damage being a secondary concern.

Champion of Telara

Before answering, I would like to know what is your purpose on using the archon.

Raid? PvP? WF? Open world?
    Suggestions will be quite different depending on your goal.

All excellent advice. Actually, because I switched to a PVE-RP server, I assumed that there would be very little PVP, so the goal would be I guess Raiding, or just dungeons and things. I have never played on a PVE server before, but I can tell you I also would not PVP with a full Archon build either.

I like the Idea of buffing/debuffing, as it seems usefull. I already have a control based suport toon and a heal support toon, so I was just wanting to try something else.

Pyro is getting the job done, but once I get my third role, Im planning on going completely different than what I have now.

+ Reply to Thread