+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Returning Player Necro Leveling Question

Soulwalker

Default Returning Player Necro Leveling Question

Hello all!

I am returning to Rift (as so many people seem to be doing) after a year of not playing it at all. I played the Beta and a month when released but stopped for WoW and some other stuff but decided to come back and give it another shot. My main is a 29 mage and when I left, I had specced into Necro/Warlock/Chlor for leveling and solo play which I typically enjoy the most of. However, it has been so long since I've last played that all my points had been reset and I don't really remember how to play or spec.

I ended up going with something like: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Vtk0z.xxo0z.-5 based on some research I did on these forums and other places and what the pre-built soul system gave me.

My questions are though:
    1) Does anyone have a better build for soloing?
    2) Should I be using Plague Bolt or Void Bolt (or any for that matter)
    3) What should my priority rotation be at this level?

Thanks for your help all in advance. Can't wait to start it up again!

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zwvz.xtczVdkzc.fL.-5

is how I would do it at level 29

level 30, put a point in master chirurgeon, level 31 get lich, then put the rest into warlock starting with opportunity then draining bolt, and go from there until you get 35 into warlock. This is for leveling to 50. Things change at 50 for farming specs.

edit: put archon as 0 point soul instead of chloro. Soul purge takes care of any healing you might need so better off with PS / SV buffs.
    Last edited by Shhhh; 02-15-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Depending on what play style you enjoy, either do the 31nec/35warlock thing, or go 51nec 15 warlock or 51elementalist 15sc. With only 31pts in nec your pets are going to suck, but if you just like playing a dot/drain type class best thats fine. 51 elementalist can actually solo the toughest things, anything but a raid boss is fair game with the improved pet heal. What type do you like to play, that would depend on what kind of rotation you'd use.
    Last edited by Relair; 02-15-2012 at 10:35 AM.

I forgot to answer your vb / plague bolt question: Start with necrosis, then dark touch, then VB spam until charge for soul purge.

Soulwalker

I actually find 51 necro 15 warlock to be worse DPS wise than 51 necro 10 pyro 5 elementalist. More you crit the better your pet will be and the more they will crit the better off you will be. The only thing is its about 400 dps behind the pyrolock spec. Theres no good charge dump for dpsing, it doesnt have any % buffs like pyrolock does (15% GoP, 10% with Dark Power, another 10% with Improved Mage Armor, another 5% with Fire armor, 20% with Internalized charge, going to be 20% with Sacrifice Life: Damage), pet scaling supposedly is low though I couldnt tell you since my pet is hitting for only 50 damage under my plague bolt crits roughly. They could lower the cast time on Empty the Crypts and Mass Grave or give us a charge dump, maybe through lich form letting us keep it up longer?

Its a fun spec and only needs a couple of tweeks to get it viable or at least clost to competetive. People say its not a dps spec but a solo spec but thats only because we get a tank pet and soul purge while taking at least 30 in warlock.

I've tried that one, and 10dom/5ele, 15chloro, 15pyro, 11archon/4ele...pretty much every possible spec of 51 necro you can think of. If you are near or above the crit cap then 15 warlock was best for me, the extra crit is kind of wasted if you are maxed out already with raid buffs. You miss out on alot of instant casts of EtC and plague bolt without opportunity, and your dots hit way way lower, going from awful to pitiful lol. But I can see if your crit isnt that high yet maybe 10pyro/5ele being a bigger boost. 15chloro was interesting, instant cast ruin keeps the 25% int buff up about half the time, and you get mini internalize charge with entropic veil, that +19% dmg up most of the time made some big plague bolt crits, but it ended up slightly lower than 15warlock for me. But yeah like you said, regardless of how you go its a good 400dps at least behind pyro on st and gets crushed in any aoe situation. Come on trion throw us a bone here!
    Last edited by Relair; 02-16-2012 at 08:46 AM.

This guide here has all the info you need for leveling as a Necro. Check it out Bluedots mage leveling guide

+ Reply to Thread