+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Returning player with questions.

Soulwalker

Default Returning player with questions.

I stopped playing Rift about 3 months after it was released. My toon currently has all rank 1 gear with about 4 pieces of rank 2. I'm back and have a few questions:

1) How much spellpower/crit is considered decent?
    2) Is pvp all instagib now? It seems I die so fast.
    3) I used to play lock/necro, up to soul purge and loved it. Now the dmg with this spec just seems so low. Maybe I just need better gear?

Thanks!

Soulwalker

1) im not sure about the numbers, i run around with 13-1400 SP i believe, depending on spec, and that's in R6-R7 gear with enchants and crystal from Order of the Eye rep (a pvp faction they added in the summer, just in case you have not found out^^)
    2)You remember a time with waaay less top ranked players, and since then, R7 and R8 have been added, and people have had more time to get higher rank, so there's more high-geared people around. It gets better, but your only choice in any class is to tough it out until R5-6 gear, where it gets better.
    3) i haven't tried lock/necro lately, but from what i read here it's not as good as it used to be.

I'd suggest going for tanky specs for at least a while. Stick to the group, stay at the back, and try to assist your team by helping to focus people down, dispelling debuffs and shielding teammate's that get focused in turn. Since the tanky specs are chlorolock, chlorodom (and full lock, but that's also rather UP atm), try not to heal too much and focus instead on dispels and shields, cos healing will earn you a big fat number above your head and will only speed up the instagib.

Chlorolock is the tankiest of them all, while chlorodom is probably the best 1v1 spec in the game.

It's not going to be great fun grinding to R4ish, but i promise, after that it gets better, and your speccing options will be much more varied.

Hope that helped a bit,

Shakadora

Here's the best advice you're going to get.

Run 51dom. Most of the skills are not dependent on how much spellpower/crit you have.

Sit back, debuff, mana drain, storm shackle, slow, squirrel, aoe reflects and be absolutely annoying to healers on the opposing team. Your contributions will not show up on the individual scoreboard, but you will help your team immensely. Lastly, you will die, a lot, so don't get discourged.
    Last edited by Eclipze; 02-15-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

Soulwalker

Eclipse is right, I overlooked full dominator. Great fun and utility

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
    Here's the best advice you're going to get.

Run 51dom. Most of the skills are not dependent on how much spellpower/crit you have.

Sit back, debuff, mana drain, storm shackle, slow, squirrel, aoe reflects and be absolutely annoying to healers on the opposing team. Your contributions will not show up on the individual scoreboard, but you will help your team immensely. Lastly, you will die, a lot, so don't get discourged.
    Here's the part missing from that story...

This works well only when your team has adequate healing. If not, you will drop too quickly and you will not make any substantial contributions.

Like Eclipze said, your contributions will not show up on the scoreboard, and that has a downside in the form of less Favor earned.

So, you will actually contribute more and earn less. How's that for crappy? :-)

That's not to say 51 Dom is necessarily all bad. With decent healing on the team, I like running 51 Dom/15 Ele. The other day we had some good healing during Port Scion and I wrecked the opposition. I ended up 3rd in overall damage and something like 5th in killing blows. Every time the enemy zerged the bridge I dropped mass betrayal and tossed arresting presence on one of their marksmen. Hilarity ensued as they killed each other and the healers kept getting their casts interrupted.
    One time during an Alternative mode Whitefall, two of us ran 51 Dom. On the opening clash, we both dropped Mass Betrayal and literally cleaned out all the mana of the opposing side (no exaggeration - the entire team went OOM in about 15 seconds). It was a quick win.

I'd suggest running both 51 dom and chloro/dom and see how you like it. Chloro/Dom will probably net you more valor in the long run.
    Last edited by overbyte; 02-16-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the tips. Currently playing with 51 dom and trying to get the hang of it.

+ Reply to Thread