+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Devouring Shadows needs a buff

RIFT Guide Writer

Default Devouring Shadows needs a buff

With all the changes to Warlock on the PTS, I feel like Devouring Shadows needs some love. I'm sure many of us remember the good old days of 1.5 and prior where double-tapping DS with Empowered Darkness was all the rage with mages, but since the PvP changes I see no reason why we can't buff DS.

What I propose is simple: Let Neddra's Influence affect Devouring Shadows.

Devouring Shadows' tooltip says it does "Death Damage over time" so to me it makes perfect sense to let Neddra's Influence affect it. Sure it's not a targetable attack, nor a debuff, but what makes Fire Storm so strong is the fact it's affected by Burning Bright. In the subject of Fire Storm, maybe even have Neddra's Influence affect it as well? Maybe that'll make it too strong?

Anywho, Warlocks need some AoE Love as Radiate Death is a pathetic excuse for AoE. Many people have suggested that it gets it's CD reduced and have it spread all DoTs, but please do something to make Warlock somewhat viable for AoE. Right now there's little reason to bring anything other than 36Pyro/30Lock to any raid outside of tight DPS checks or utility.

The upcoming changes to 51Lock seem promising, hopefully there will be more to come!
    Rank 40 Mage - Seraphshroud 11/11 HK 5/8 ID
    My Guides to: Pyro/Dom and Chloro/Dom, Mage PA Farming, PvP Defilemancer
    My Rift Stream!

Devouring Shadows has a cooldown?

Plane Walker

Fire Storm I like, it's just about powerful enough without being OP now.
    Dev Shadows hits like 20% less hard when I tested it the other day - it should be of a similar power imo.

All AoE is nerfed with the new PA.

It's a good thing IMO.

Strong AoE in PVP is lame.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar View Post
    All AoE is nerfed with the new PA.

It's a good thing IMO.

Strong AoE in PVP is lame.
    Yes AoE in PvP is lame, but AoE in PvE shouldn't hurt because of it.

Self buffed right now (flame bolt + IC) DS crits 1119 damage every 2 seconds for me

That means 559 dps per mob
    it hits 8 mobs
    If you hit 5 mobs you do 2.8k dps (If you crit on every single tick on every single mob)

That means if there are less than 6 mobs, in a lot of situations it's better to single target dps.
    And we know how often every single tick of our AoEs crits so...

tl:dr Devouring shadows is pathetically weak for an AoE.

*This is in 36/30 with very little research, but I'm still pretty sure Warlock is the worst AoE in the game.
    Doesn't matter what is put here, someone is going to @#%^& about it, regardless of what it is.

Lava field for archons needs some love too.

Instead of buffing the damage on devouring shadows, what if they made it a drop on the ground aoe like grave rot and it increased dots damage or dots crit damage when mobs are in the aoe. Then radiate death dot spreading would be a bit better. This would help some of the dot issues in pvp without it going crazy overboard. Give it a 1.5 second cast time so it not abused in pvp, you can then piggy back dark touch off the cast and pop radiate death after global?

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by utterchaos View Post
    Lava field for archons needs some love too.

Instead of buffing the damage on devouring shadows, what if they made it a drop on the ground aoe like grave rot and it increased dots damage or dots crit damage when mobs are in the aoe. Then radiate death dot spreading would be a bit better. This would help some of the dot issues in pvp without it going crazy overboard. Give it a 1.5 second cast time so it not abused in pvp, you can then piggy back dark touch off the cast and pop radiate death after global?
    Oh man don't even get me started with Lava Field. I don't even know why that ability has any talents when it's so useless anyway -_-

I like the suggestion with Devouring Shadows interacting with DoTs as it makes for a much more interactive gameplay. I'm not so keen on giving DS a cast time since I feel like one of the more unique play style with Warlock is it's mobility. Besides, with the delay on the first tick combine with a cast time makes it way to slow to use effectively in PvP thus more useless than it is now.
    Last edited by SeraphShroud; 02-14-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    Rank 40 Mage - Seraphshroud 11/11 HK 5/8 ID
    My Guides to: Pyro/Dom and Chloro/Dom, Mage PA Farming, PvP Defilemancer
    My Rift Stream!

+ Reply to Thread