+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage Woes

Default Mage Woes

You know I just honestly have not been enjoying mage lately at all. Tried chlorlock, chlorodom, pyrodom, hotwater. None of them are doing it for me. Either I can be a speed bump, a glass cannon, or a aoer that goes down faster than a drunk highschool chearleader without a pocket healer.

Im not the best pvper by far, im more casual with it, but does anyone else feel like we get the snot beat out of us in 2-3 hits and cant kill anybody with more than 6-7 hits?

Also in PVP we gotta bust our balls to even do remotely decent DPS and everyone else can do comparable numbers with far less effort.

I really like rift, but i kinda wished I would have rolled cleric or rogue. I hope Trion does something to fix the balance of our class because I miss enjoying my mage. Would it kill you guys to just let the DOTs we cast just stay up until we or the target dies? Would make dps/life better.

sorry for the vent.
    Landslide - Greybriar. ( Vendetta )
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

I rotate between pyro/dom, pyro/lock, chloro/dom, 51 pyro, and 51 dom depending on how I feel at the moment. All of them are pretty effective. I've always preferred 51 lock, but since it has taken a big kick in the nuts lately, I've adapted. Not saying that some specs couldn't use some love, but mages are still viable.

I agree. Mentioned something like this in another thread..basically "Yeah, we do more damage from far away, but once you get close, we are screwed..." and was told I was a liar. *eyerolls*

Quote Originally Posted by GothWulfe View Post
    I agree. Mentioned something like this in another thread..basically "Yeah, we do more damage from far away, but once you get close, we are screwed..." and was told I was a liar. *eyerolls*
    You can keep people away? All I find is rogue with 3+ shifts
    Founder of http://www.manaforged.com/
    The multi-Gaming community.
    Registration is easy and fast!

The only enemies I ever fight at range are (literally) the ones fighting other people. If we're going for each other I save them the time and charge. (it's the last thing they expect!)

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Landstalker View Post
    You know I just honestly have not been enjoying mage lately at all. Tried chlorlock, chlorodom, pyrodom, hotwater. None of them are doing it for me. Either I can be a speed bump, a glass cannon, or a aoer that goes down faster than a drunk highschool chearleader without a pocket healer.

Im not the best pvper by far, im more casual with it, but does anyone else feel like we get the snot beat out of us in 2-3 hits and cant kill anybody with more than 6-7 hits?

Also in PVP we gotta bust our balls to even do remotely decent DPS and everyone else can do comparable numbers with far less effort.

I really like rift, but i kinda wished I would have rolled cleric or rogue. I hope Trion does something to fix the balance of our class because I miss enjoying my mage. Would it kill you guys to just let the DOTs we cast just stay up until we or the target dies? Would make dps/life better.

sorry for the vent.
    You are not the only one feeling this m8, Fighting warriors and Rogues 90% of the time in mele range while not beeing able to rely on our CC to be able to keep em off for some sec to gain some distance cause some frustration.

But even with some buffes we won't have the issue solved anyway, beacouse if trion haven't fixed this yet then they probably just don't see that the problems do indeed exist. Better unsub and move on, ive already did and so has many other people regardless of class. sub runs out in 17days and i will never resub, beacouse the population is failing, this game is gonna die sooner or later and then i rather go tera and gain some gear and rank up a mage, and playing some PvP in GW2 while doing so wich is free to play.

I say, lets go GW2 and also don't forget to check out Tera (It looks really cool).

Plane Walker

I agree it's tougher to PVP now when queuing solo. I was really bummed about 1.7 for a few days because my favorite spec (15 AM + warlock crystal) was erased.

The upside is now group queues are actually happening. Get yourself that pocket healer or a melee buddy to assist and get on voice chat. 51 pyro brings big burst damage and I'm loving that, I don't know how to play Dom but I will probably explore chloro-dom soon. I've been mage since retail launch and wafronts have never been more fun, because they finally fixed the group queues.

I can typically manage to kite melee combatants fairly well, without being smashed to pieces. I usually have to burn defensive abilities (heals, shadow life, Dominator debuffs) to survive, but that seems to be intended. There are occasions where it seems like no amount of defensive posturing works and the damage being output by the attacker is far too great to withstand.

Although I can't inspect my opponents, I assume they're taking me out so quickly because they're in much better gear than me; which again - seems intentional and fair.

The enemies I have an impossible time against, however, are the ranged rogues. They deal so much damage, so quickly, from 35m away - I really stand no chance whatsoever. I can literally go from 100% to 0% without ever having a chance to duck behind terrain or close the 5m distance necessary to affect them with my spells.

I have a rogue alt, and to be completely honest, it's pretty much par for the course. I regularly seek out mages to pluck off quickly. A single strafe and rapid fire shot is all I ever need to take them out.

Telaran

Look at all the crap Trion has given everyone to slaughter mages, interupt, stuns, kickbacks, disable, slow movement and LOTS MORE. Then you see these rogues, tanks, and clerics runnig at warp speed at you, leaping at you, pulling you in toward them and LOTS MORE! So what do mages get? Supposed high DPS, yet Trion has made it so lvl50 tanks in PVP are link taking down and HK 50 Boss mob! PVP for mages is busted. All everyone can do is rollup a tank, rogue or cleric...which is what trion whats you to do so you can go through the lvl50 time grind, then 40 more levels after level 50...time grind...for PVP. The PVP system in this game is broke when it comes to mages. All one can really do is look for the next game to move to.
    Lvl 50 Necro
    Shard: Gnarlwood
    Guild: Apocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by Paytheon View Post
    Look at all the crap Trion has given everyone to slaughter mages, interupt, stuns, kickbacks, disable, slow movement and LOTS MORE. Then you see these rogues, tanks, and clerics runnig at warp speed at you, leaping at you, pulling you in toward them and LOTS MORE! So what do mages get? Supposed high DPS, yet Trion has made it so lvl50 tanks in PVP are link taking down and HK 50 Boss mob! PVP for mages is busted. All everyone can do is rollup a tank, rogue or cleric...which is what trion whats you to do so you can go through the lvl50 time grind, then 40 more levels after level 50...time grind...for PVP. The PVP system in this game is broke when it comes to mages. All one can really do is look for the next game to move to.
    Not to discredit your personal experiences, but your post is coming off a bit hysterical.

Mages have plenty of tools to deal with people.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Nevergone View Post
    Not to discredit your personal experiences, but your post is coming off a bit hysterical.

Mages have plenty of tools to deal with people.
    All I'm getting at is if Mages had 1/2 these capabilities their survivability rate would improve some. With that said, if you are geared properly and have your planar ammune tree loaded Mages do alright. I guess I am mist about having to do 90 levels to get there (50 on the character and 40 in PVP) but mages at the end game do alright. It's the pain getting there that's frustrating I guess. Good point.
    Last edited by Paytheon; 02-13-2012 at 08:27 AM.
    Lvl 50 Necro
    Shard: Gnarlwood
    Guild: Apocalypse

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

It's a bit frustrating PvPing as a mage, but then again, that's PvP. If you aren't doing a premade, there's an element of luck in what sort of group you get queued with.

Take in in bits and pieces and don't drive yourself crazy by queuing for warfronts all day (if you are on a PvE shard). If you are on a PvP shard, I really can't give advice except don't AFK to take a real quick break that turns into a 20 minute break. The only good thing is that someone can't resurrect your corpse and kill you repeatedly if you do that.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

RIFT Guide Writer

Personally I've had huge success as a Mage in PvP. I've tried all the cookie cutter specs but always come back to my beloved 38Lock/28Pyro. I often solo queue so this spec works wonders. Great survivability, mobility, burst, and CC. I frequent ~15 KBs and 0-2 deaths depending on the warfront.

I wrote an in-depth guide in the Mage guide forums if you're interested in the spec.
    Rank 40 Mage - Seraphshroud 11/11 HK 5/8 ID
    My Guides to: Pyro/Dom and Chloro/Dom, Mage PA Farming, PvP Defilemancer
    My Rift Stream!

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by SeraphShroud View Post
    Personally I've had huge success as a Mage in PvP. I've tried all the cookie cutter specs but always come back to my beloved 38Lock/28Pyro. I often solo queue so this spec works wonders. Great survivability, mobility, burst, and CC. I frequent ~15 KBs and 0-2 deaths depending on the warfront.

I wrote an in-depth guide in the Mage guide forums if you're interested in the spec.
    It's a fine spec, but with new valor changes it hurts it a little. Plus it really doesn't do much versus Clerics or doms.

The main thing is just staying at maximum range, with our best pure dps spec having to rely on a 2second cast you can get wrecked if a rogue gets in your face. The fun part of this patch though, is you can still easily wreck a WF if you can kite well. Only need more options and a a fixed chloro and mages would be fine.

Yeah, we have our issues, but ultimately I do love my mage, and I tend to do well in most situations. There will always be those times where there's jack all you can do (2-3 rogues jumping you) but ****, all you can do there is find some buddies to roll with and hope for the best.

The other day in IPP, doing the dailies, there was me and a rogue, and we ended up fighting like 5-6 guys, I think 1, maybe 2 clerics, and the rest rogues. I was chlorodom, rogue was some sort of melee spec. The surprising ending to this story, is that we won. And the rogue died 2 kills in, so it isn't a case of "rogue so OP." Yes, I'm well aware these guys weren't the best pvpers, but still, it was an impressive victory nonetheless. I'm sure more than a few of these guys jumped on the forums and had some less than flattering things to say about us mages xD

At the end of the day, we do alright, as we've generally always done. There'll always be those obstacles we just can't get over, but by and by I'd have to admit, I'm pretty happy with my mage. We're buddies, for sure.

Oh, also, 51 pyro 10 wl 5 archon. Owch.
    Last edited by Azeula; 02-13-2012 at 03:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread