+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R8 Warlock is Frustrating in PVP

Default R8 Warlock is Frustrating in PVP

Playing a R8 warlock in PVP is frustrating at the moment. I feel like my damage over time abilities have little impact in PVP. With the 1.7 patch, all damage was decreased, including DoTs. They are easily healed through, as a single heal-over-time can nullify the effects of 2 (or more) of my DoTs on a target. Additionally my DoTs are easily cleansed with little to no negative impact.

I feel DoTs are marginalized in PVP game right now for the above reasons, making the run-and-gun style of play of the warlock class very ineffective.

Ascendant

no one is forcing you to play warlock. theres a lot of souls that are frustrating in PVP. Dots will pretty much never be a good way to PVP as long as cleanses are in the game
    Killianx<Addiction> - Gnarlwood
    Formerly Killianx/Boosted of <Voodoo>
    Back after a Hiatus
    My TwitchTV

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKillian View Post
    Dots will pretty much never be a good way to PVP as long as cleanses are in the game
    i've never understood why they let dot cleansing fly in this game. it's just damage to be healed through imo. by allowing cleansing they jack up all dot builds completely. i haven't spent a ton of time thinking about why dots are cleanable, but at first glance i'd say it's hurting builds more then helping them. it's not like dots do epic damage against all that valor anyways.

i'd say a fix is either buff the crap out of dot damage for PvP, or remove dot cleansing.
    Experience is the best teacher.. if you can afford the tuition.

Rift Disciple

It's not even dot cleansing, the dots tick for so little, that 1 chloro or hybrid cleric in the raid will passive heal through them. It is usually a better use of gcds just to heal through than to cleanse 3 dots off.

What I don't understand is seeing my dark touch tick for 80 and a vex on me ticking for 350 or something. Don't remember exact numbers, but it hurt a lot more then any of my dots, thats for sure. (full r40 gear)

Dots just don't tick for enough, even if they did, I think an answer would be to have a dot with a risk of silence, stun, or damage when cleansed would make the dot builds more balanced. Make it a choice on whether to cleanse something, with a risk involved. Similar to warlocks in WoW.
    Last edited by Opalisk; 02-09-2012 at 10:27 AM.
    Opalisk - Mage Officer
    Aegis - Hailol
    4/4 GA, 2/3 IG
    www.aegisguild.com

Quote Originally Posted by Opalisk View Post
    It's not even dot cleansing, the dots tick for so little, that 1 chloro or hybrid cleric in the raid will passive heal through them. It is usually a better use of gcds just to heal through than to cleanse 3 dots off.

What I don't understand is seeing my dark touch tick for 80 and a vex on me ticking for 350 or something. Don't remember exact numbers, but it hurt a lot more then any of my dots, thats for sure. (full r40 gear)

Dots just don't tick for enough, even if they did, I think an answer would be to have a dot with a risk of silence, stun, or damage when cleansed would make the dot builds more balanced. Make it a choice on whether to cleanse something, with a risk involved. Similar to warlocks in WoW.
    Leveling a Lock in PvP is hard work, for certain, I have to stack a half dozen dots or more on a target and spam either Void Bolt or when under attack I use Soul Purge.

Imho the answer is buff Neddra's Influence so a mage going deep into Lock gets a nice BOOST to his dot dps. I do like how it makes Soul Purge a lot more beefy than it is even in a full Necro.
    And how fire dmg dots are effected too.

On top of buffing Neddra's Influence, I'd ditch the charge consumption on Defile and allow ALL the dots that are on a target be spread by Radiate Death, atm it is a sorry excuse for AoE pressure dmg.

I'd even make Devouring Shadows an AoE dot, keep the current dmg and make the cast time the dot tick time, but give it say, a 15 sec CD, that way the Lock stays on the move, but applies decent pressure dmg.

Dots CAN work in PvP, Trion just has to show them some love is all. Your idea of a negative impact if cleansed is a great one, perhaps if the cleanse fails the dots explode for the remainder of their dmg, seems fair to me, give it a 50/50 shot either way, a roll of the dice.

The issue isn't just with warlock imo, mage has lost a lot of diversity this patch, and there are no real planned fixes yet :/
    stormcaller, chloromancer, warlock, necromancer, elementalist, archon... all have limited viability in warfronts atm... that doesn't mean if you are a good player you can't do decently vs avg players, but on an equal skill level against the more common specs out there mage is extremely limited for options that won't get countered. I am really missing stormcaller this patch (not that I don't play it still) :/ its much too squishy/interruptable for only mediocre outputs atm:

In my opinion:
    stormcaller- needs more burst in icicle and in its aoes imo (who's dmg got hit hard from the loss of archmage+valor increases+additional pvp aoe resistence), or else it needs its defensive lines revamped to be more reliable outside of drs
    warlock is having dot issues, both in dmg and in that they are long term buildup and cleansable.
    chloromancer needs to get around valor for its dmg-heals
    archon needs some mechanic to make it useful in pvp... maybe stealing buffs or something from opponents. its too focused on long term raid buildups, and is too squishy and lacks other pvp options outside of that (its mid tree is hard to synergize with as well imo).
    necromancer and elementalist pets both need general dmg increases, and for their pets to be more of a threat in pvp. Necro probably needs more overall synergy with other trees.
    And in general mage needs more options vs rogues imo
    Last edited by Inixia; 02-10-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Champion of Telara

I run an R8 lock based build....
    I feel it could do with a little love, but it is no way as bad as you make it out to be.

Few advantages
    1. Excellent survivability
    2. dmg on the move - awesome

Disadvantages
    1. dmg could be better
    2. Deny.... deny... deny ... -.-'

I'm loving it at the moment, but yeah, there are quite a few things I wish were improved. I'm hoping the DoT time shortening would be helpful.... more DoT casting and less void bolt spamming is fine by me.

I am a Domilock, and well, I have little experience PVPing at the moment, but I only use dots to spread out between CC's. I tend to use my DoT's to trick people into using cleanses or things to apply alternate controls, or effects. So I sort of hide behind the DoT's and a few other silly spells before using more beneficial cc's.

I wish they would tick for more mind you, to help my stategy more. But it has worked before for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiss View Post
    I am a Domilock, and well, I have little experience PVPing at the moment, but I only use dots to spread out between CC's. I tend to use my DoT's to trick people into using cleanses or things to apply alternate controls, or effects. So I sort of hide behind the DoT's and a few other silly spells before using more beneficial cc's.

I wish they would tick for more mind you, to help my stategy more. But it has worked before for me.
    PVP a little more and you'll find that your DoT's tick for very little damage. So little, in fact, that clerics can cast a single HoT and negate their effect.

80? My R2 geared mage with 900 SP after the buff has his DoTs tick for a minimum of 100.

I think you are basing your damage off players with damage shields on.

Even so. 80x6 = 480 minimum without any crits, that's roughly the same as any other spell.

DoTs are there to counteract HoTs.

You beef is with deny, spellbreaker and curative waters/passive cleansing.

I see that. Again, I only use them to trick people into using a cooldown. I also do the same with Wither, Haunting pain, fear etc, to hopefully get them to cleanse while I use other CC's at my disposal to hit em.

I have a ton of spells I use just to bait a possible cleanse. DoT's could use a boost for sure, but I just use them to hide behind.

Plane Touched

Pyro/lock is decent, a lot better than 51lock, and you get the most of the good lock stuff just no MF.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiss View Post
    I see that. Again, I only use them to trick people into using a cooldown. I also do the same with Wither, Haunting pain, fear etc, to hopefully get them to cleanse while I use other CC's at my disposal to hit em.

I have a ton of spells I use just to bait a possible cleanse. DoT's could use a boost for sure, but I just use them to hide behind.
    If you are using haunting pain, you are doing something wrong.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    If you are using haunting pain, you are doing something wrong.
    If you are not using haunting pain, you are doing something wrong.

Soulwalker

Just add something similar to what they have in wow, a new DoT or a talent that will do all the remaining ticks in damage if dispelled.
    Last edited by gretafeta; 02-11-2012 at 07:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast