+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage n00b!

Default Mage n00b!

Hey everybody!

Before I unsubbed last year, I reached level 50 on my Cleric with my boyfriend playing Warrior. We were thinking of restarting since we just resubbed, and I fancy playing a Mage. The problem? I am a complete and utter Mage n00b, I have never played one in an MMO for longer than about 5 - 10 levels. So I come to you guys for help!

First of all, what's the most fun spec? Forget about ease of levelling, most damage, best support, whatever. What do you have most fun playing and why? Feel free to recommend highest damage/most useful/whatever as well, but I'm looking for something fun to try at least for the levelling stage. Ultimately I'll be experimenting to see what I like most, but I just want an idea of where to start!

Also, I'll be likely taking Chloro/Archon/...something else for dungeons or what have you, but I just want to know what would be good and fun for questing/rifts/etc. Thanks in advance!

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

Shameless self advertisement in 3....2....1....

http://bluedots.org/2011/04/30/mage-leveling-specs/

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    Shameless self advertisement in 3....2....1....

http://bluedots.org/2011/04/30/mage-leveling-specs/
    Hah, I was actually just reading your guides and bookmarked the end-game Mage guide for future reference should I get that far! Thanks for the link, reading over your levelling guide now. (:

Telaran

Fun is, of course, very subjective. But for me, it comes down to two builds that I use:

My main build is Stormcaller/Elementalist. Stormcaller is by far my favorite soul for Mages, and in every game I've played I've played the AoE magic class, so for me it was a no-brainer. Always fun watching the numbers fly.

My second favorite is pure Chloromancer. I normally loathe healing, but Chloros make it fun, since it plays mostly like another DPS soul but with the occasional direct heal thrown in. It's certainly slower to level than most other mage souls, but it's survivability is nuts, since you're getting constant heals while fighting.

Yeah, you really can't beat a chlorolock for steady leveling. Depending on your definition of fun, hell it might even be that. I know I enjoyed pulling ridiculous mobs for my level and just eating them alive. Ahh, the good ol' days.

I recommend pyro personally, because mages and fireballs go together like, well, ****, mages and fireballs xD

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. Gonna get started on it today!

This happens to be currently my favorite build..

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...fuusqsqz.xdb.V

51 Pyro/10 Chloro/5 Archon

Basically, you can blow stuff away pretty fast, you have solid emergency healing, and great buffs from the Archon.

Chlorolock is great, too.

I'm just putting an alternative build up if you find Chlorolock too slow or not to your taste.

This is great for dungeons also, as you will be able to provide solid DPS with off healing.
    Last edited by Vihar; 02-09-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

+ Reply to Thread