+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dom taking over in PvP? why?

Plane Walker

Default Dom taking over in PvP? why?

Dom seems to be popping up all over wf's these days, but I easy beat them with my chloro pyro?
    I'm always near or at the top on dps and killing blows, as well as being about 50% of a full cleric healer.

Why do people claim Dom's pwn so much in PvP?

I have yet to see one be anything other than an annoyance and generally only die to one if they manage to deplete my ~11k mana pool which takes too long for them to do unless I'm already low.

I guess they are good if the enemy team has many casters, but I don't think the mana drain has enough impact to drain an entire team to 0 mana?

I do also have a pyro dom specced, but it dies so fast compared to chloro pyro that I can't do much with it.

Your views on this?

Rift Disciple

Just a different play style you have to get used to, has alot of great tools once you learn to use them and when to use them

lgw

1) Everything else is largely crap for Mages.
    2) Healing Clerics rule the day.

=> Welcome to the age of the Crap-Dom, who hardly knows his spec beyond his three buttons: Squirrel > Fireball spam > still alive ? Drain and go to QQ on forums.

Worst... there are actually pretty significant problems right now, but they get hidden under piles of noob threads. In the end I only can hope PVP in Rift will have a swift, painless death...

Im playing a dom now. Although I have mostly PVE's things. We have a lot of utility, but I think it's relative. I chose it because it sounded like other classes or styles of play I was used to in other games. Plus the story description in the souls section paints the Dom as a super cool biatch!

I think the main issue is that if you combine utility, control and damage from pyro etc it can be a good combo. i was getting advice on Doms in another thread and I can see now more details of why it could be a powerfull set up.

It would depend on many things of course, but i think the main reason you might see more doms is because it actually appears to mesh well with many of the mage souls currently available, where as some of the mage souls don't synergize nearly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CreepyD View Post
    Dom seems to be popping up all over wf's these days, but I easy beat them with my chloro pyro?
    They're pretty bad then.
    Dom is a powerfuls oul when used correctly.

No reason for a chlorodom to lose to a chloropyro.
    Or a 51 dom for that matter.

Reflection is key.

With the survivability changes, clerics are in a silly place. I'm going to start a petition that their hp bar be removed in PVP, as they die when their blue bar goes to 0 and no sooner.

As a result, mana drains are the only option to take them down. This, combined with the fact that the pyromancer tree took the least damage with the 1.7 fixes, is why you are seeing a lot of pyro/dom's.

Pyrodom is an excellent spec, but there are others out there. The Igw's postman spec is terrific, as well as chlorodom and pyrolock. When warlock DoTs actually become useful, you'll find lockdom specs to be extremely effective.

o.O More like Dom has already taken over long ago, not currently in the process of doing so. The reason is simple, and it's cc/utility. As far back as games like this go (Hell, back to DnD really), it's always been the special effects that dominate pvp, not straight up power. Hell, even pokemon can teach us this! Hypnosis, paralysis, confusion, even **** like sand attack are powerful pvp attacks, as it were.

If an enemy can survive the attack once and heal up, they can survive the attack again. If the enemy is incapacitated however, whether through a silence or a stun, now they have a bigger problem, and the damage dealers have an opening. Dominators dominate pvp for those very reasons, they have the utility and "special effect" attacks, as it were. Squirreling, silencing, reflecting, these are all powerful tools in pvp that alter the scales, and so naturally people flock to them. Take transference for instance, it does a negligible amount of damage, but effectively drains an enemy warrior's energy in moments, rendering them useless for the time being. Dangerous in killing ability? Certainly not, but dangerous/invaluable in pvp in general? You bet.

Look at rogues, half of what makes them so deadly in pvp is that they're damn near impossible to cc, while packing a few stuns and other tricks of their own. Look at fell blades for example, reduces targets healing while also transferring healing to the rogue? That ability doesn't do ANY damage, and yet remains one of the most powerful pvp tools at their disposal.

In summation, it isn't your ability to do damage that is vital in pvp, it's your ability to alter the situation in your favor. For that, nothing dominates like a Dominator ;D

Telaran

Cause right now the viable pvp builds are :

pyro
    dom
    pyro / dom

...lol at least you can experiment a few diff souls and point spreading w/pyro

Why isn't that obvious? Those damn mages(bet same ones who were using dev.shadows, same ones who were using LB and icicle, same ones who... what was before? don't know and who cares anyway) read that moan and qq about "dead mage class"(sic!) all over the forums and in-game, change their builds to pyrodom and when dedicated pure doms wanna make key targets in cc, they have DR DR DR DR all over.
    happy dominator
    <- uberhealz

Telaran

Dom is one of the most fun souls in this game I think. You just have lots of good spells and possibilities to piss off your opponents. Unfortunately I dont really enjoy dom much after the nerfs to the energy drain stuff. But it is still a fun soul with lots of cool abilities on the lower parts of it. So everyone puts dom near their favourite soul nowadays

I am one of them because I mainly feel pigeon holed into it. If I go raw DPS 9 times out of 10 my deeps gets outhealed. If I run dominator I can eliminate the healers.

I am one of them because I mainly feel pigeon holed into it. If I go raw DPS 9 times out of 10 my deeps gets outhealed. If I run dominator I can eliminate the healers.
    Want to know why this happening?

Because everyone in your raid picks their targets on their own initiative, that's why. Ever saw entire raid pressing one target with premade's dedicated field commander or just smartass with marking macro that include rw assist %T? No one will ever outheal this, unless you assisting useless trollspec cleric or 3-4 crosshealing clerics. Crosshealing clerics have their counters too, though.

You ofc need raid core, those people who will obey orders and react quick. That means - premade and voice chat.

1.7 is not for solo rambos anymore, thus you need to improve overall pug's battlegroup performance and consolidate with friends. This is the only way.
    Even 2 mages can make damn difference, if they act as one.
    happy dominator
    <- uberhealz

Plane Walker

You're definitely right, although like you say even an organised pre-made focussing a single cleric will not always bring them down if there are many healers.

Every pvp team needs a dom or two that's for sure, but guess I use pyro chloro instead because I don't like relying on others as I'm solo more often than not.
    I can't stand having no heals for myself at all, I feel so weedy.

+ Reply to Thread