+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dom Help

Default Dom Help

Hi guys!

Hope things are well and everyone is having fun.

First off, I just wanted to say that I have been finding the guides people wrote very helpfull, and as a fairly new player I am still working the bugs out of my current toon. I am really enjoying my dom spec, which is Dom/Warlock/Necro (although the necro part is something I am not using, it's just there) Once I have the plat, Ill prolly work it out so that I am a Dom/Warlock/Archon. I just like the idea to be honest.

I have most of my points in Dom and I am enjoying it much, and although I am not new to PVP, I am very new to PVP in this game. To be honest, I was really good in other games, and enjoyed it, but I am having some issues in this game. It's not with any particular soul or calling, but more a learn to play issue on my behalf.

I seem to be having a rough time just learning the ropes. Although I have macro's and things which were easy to set up, Im finding PVP a challenge. Im level 34 and so my experience has been limited world PVP, so I don't have a ton of experience because up until now I rarely saw the enemy.

I don't care if people think mages are op, or clerics are op or warriors are etc. I was just wondering if people had any tips for a new player who enjoys PVP but is not so familiar with Rift PVP.

I have some solid rotations, or I think I do. But I find I get overwhelmed by a person while I am questing and fighting other enemies if I get surprised react poorly. Any suggestions?

For example, I almost feel as a Dom, I should be closing closer to Melee or slightly in melee to allow for my spells to work.

Essentially, Im new and any tips from the masters would be appreciated, but I am not looking for an easy button, just maybe some tips.

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Dom in PvP isn't really macro-friendly.

You have to be clever about who you debuff with what and bait people into cleansing off minor debuffs before you hit them with better ones (unless they have a cleanse on GCD, i.e., don't bother debuffing clerics most of the time).

Not so sure about using necro. Lots of pyro/doms rolling around these days IIRC.

Though honestly, PvP is not about rotations. It's about gear, using a decent spec and knowing when to use your mage's awesome defensive cooldown (running away for help). Kinda kidding on the last one, but again, not really where you want to dump skills into a macro, particularly with Dom.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Agreed. Avoid macros as domi. You want to have maximum control over your debuffs for not just any class, but any build as well. VK builds are gonna eat all your debuffs. EVERY rogue now has cleanse soul so you want to avoid stacking all your debuffs in a massive chunk on them as well. Mages (nearly all are 10pts into dom) have full cleanse allowing them to remove all domi debuffs. Many warriors run VK hybrids, and since there is STILL no icon to show how long their magic immunity is up for it's extremely difficult to figure out when to start debuffing them. Rogues, with the new PVP pa actually got a MASSIVE overall buff that all their PVP specs have access to a full cleanse now even if it only gives 1s immunity to magic.

Mainly, to play a domi very effectively you have to understand what builds your opponents are in and whether or not they have the ability to wipe your debuffs off in one shot. After that you have to determine which debuffs are best to stack and which can take a sideline for the fight. If you start making a bunch of macros, you end up getting stuck in a rotation that may not be ideal for certain situations. Combine that with domi's limited survivability (outside of being able to CC people), and you can find yourself in a pickle.

With more and more cleansing and full cleanse abilities floating around for people it's making 51 domi even less and less viable. I'm losing count of the number of times I stack all my debuffs on a cleric healer only to have a domi hybrid or a warrior cleanse them all off in one shot. It's actually getting bad enough I'm considering ditching my 51 domi build.
    But at least we can get married now!
    I'll be fishing in Codex...
    Nobodi - R8 Mage Defiant Deepwood
    Somebodi - 19 Rogue Guardian Deepwood (twink wannabe)

Rift Chaser

I'm sitting here supervising students in an exam, so I have some time to respond

1. Point allocation in Dom. There's not much point going over 31-32 points in Dom, unless you want the 51 pt ability. The 51 pt ability is fabulous for group PvP, but a: you need to be level 50 to access it; and b: you don't have enormous survivability in it.

2. Other souls. Pyrodom can work wonders when your opponents are similar level/rank to you; Dom/Lock is feasible at lower levels; but I would run Chlorodom. It has some decent DPS - especially below lvl 50, when no-one has any valour to speak of - that also heals, plus some instant-cast heals (not many, but every little helps). 3rd soul for me would be 0 pt Archon, for the 2 Archon nukes.

An example build would be something like:
    Dominator (31)/Chloromancer (14)/Archon (0)

An explanation of my choices:
    Dom T1: Quick Thinking = fast casts after each squirrel; Clinging Form = 0 sec cd squirrel.
    Dom T2: Acumen = more intelligence = more mana, more DPS. no Improved Charged Shield, even tho it's nice - it's not nice enough for a 2 pt investment; no Priest's Lament - it just doesn't work well enough or reliably enough for a 1 pt investment.
    Dom T3: Controlled Opportunity = next attack after a squirrel does max normal damage. no Improved Mana Wrench - not worth the 3 pts investment; no Arresting Presence - no spare points, and you have more than enough charge dumps.
    Dom T4: Swift Control = faster casting after every squirrel; Transference = drains mana/energy and reduces regen and increases ability costs and does some damage. lekker! Quicken Form = 0 sec cast on squirrel; THE skill that makes squirrelling in PvP worthwhile. no Durable Control = squirelling is about interrupting your opponent and speeding up your cast times, not really about CC. most times your opponent will be immune to CC or break free from it - so time to break is not important.
    Dom T5: Micro-burst = 2 extra pulses of Storm Shackle, which hits surprisingly hard; Reflective Presence = half of how you kill other casters.
    Dom T6: Spilt Personality and Splintered Mind = Splits are your best burst DPS; more splits = more burst! Empowered Presence = the other half of how you kill casters. you can do 3 pts in Empowered too, if you like, for even greater spell reflect chance.
    Dom T7: Traitorous Influence = AoE damage and mana/energy drain-on-skill use; fantastic skill.

Chloro T1: Natural Awareness = more Int means more mana and more DPS. you could also take Accelerated Growth, but I never have enough points to put into it.
    Chloro T2: Everything. Really, I wouldn't skip any; but I have seen people skip Nature's Corrosion.
    Chloro going forward: 1 pt in Synthesis, 2 pts in Nature's Touch then 3 pts in Raised in Nature.

next, some basic strategies.

Rift Chaser

Basic Chlorodom routine:

Squirrel -> Storm Shackle -> Traitorous Influence -> Chloro nuke spam

Against casters or MM, use Haunting Pain between Squirrel and SS (in point of fact, it's often good to use Haunting Pain before SS anyway: the First debuff on is the first one cleansed; and HP has 10 (!) stacks, thus is effectively uncleansable - making your SS and TI *also* uncleansable).

You can re-apply squirrel as often as you want, although you'll hit the CC Diminishg Returns (DR) fast: 1st squirrel lasts 4 secs; 2nd 2 secs; 3rd and subsequent for 15 secs: the target is immune. You have other CC though, that share (to the best of my knowledge!) different DR: Death's Edict is a stun-and-slow; Thunderblast is a interrupt-and-knockback. DE and TB are good for keeping melees away from your (or forcing them to close; either way it takes time and makes them use a GCD). I use TB on almost everything.. it's instant cast and does good damage, so also makes a good finisher.

Splits... the Split Personalities can do big damage; if you are 1v1 in OPvP, then
    Squirrel -> SS -> TI -> Splits -> Mass Charged Shield
    does excellent damage, and burns people down fast.

I have Mass Charged Shield macro-d under my splits: so two key presses, I have Splits, all with a Charged Shield. People who respond to seeing the Splits by AoE-ing them kill themselves *extremely* quickly. People who respond by purging splits don't even break a sweat - but this happens in the minority of cases.

Other Dom skills: Degeneration will remove up to 3 buffs; Transference makes using skills harder; Incompetence will heal you for small amounts each time the opponent hits you; Void Shroud reduces the healing they receive; Grasping Shroud is not terribly useful ><

Against casters I have Reflective Command and Reflective Presence macro-ed together, targetted on me: RC will reflect one spell; RP will reflect all spells, with a 70% chance, for as long as you have charge.

Chloro wise: use Lifegiving Veil, macro up your nukes in to one macro (Radiant Spores > Ruin > Nature's Fury > Stream of Reclamation > Vile Spores) and macro up your heals into another macro, targetted on yourself (Flourish, Bloom). Put Wild Abandon near your Break Free; put Natural Conversion near your spell reflect macro (or put it in the macro, above Reflective Presence).

Entropic Veil (charge dump, damage increase) can go somewhere useful; although in PvP I save my charge for Reflective Presence; macro-ing up Nature's Cleansing with Deny, targetted on yourself, will make cleansing yourself very easy. Withering Vines, like the Dom's Neural Prod, is a skill you pretend you don't have.

The general battle stategy is: load up your opponent with all the abilities that make them kill themselves; force them to waste GCDs by using your CC, then nuke them once you get ahead (ie, they're below you in health).
    If they heal up or cleanse your debuffs: load them up again when they're off cd; if they get ahead of you (ie, you're dying faster) use your heals; if they're melee: try to annoy them by stuns/knockback/ squirrels and keeping your distance; if they're casters, use the spell reflect and dont forget Haunting Pain; if they're ranged: you'll be needing Haunting Pain and CC and heals and some good luck.

To summarise: Dom is about making people kill themselves and making them waste/lose GCDs. You will cast faster, most often (except against Pyrodoms, but you can out-heal them at your level), so each GCD they use to remove/avoid/break your CC puts you ahead, giving you time to actually kill them (added to the debuffs, which, in the case of SS, can do some serious damage themselves, and not including the Splits, which can kill many people by themselves if not purged/avoided).
    Last edited by Naesraen; 02-08-2012 at 04:20 AM.

Hmmmm. This is all really solid information. I am using macros, but the way i have them set us is in a roation where I click certain things to really spread out my debuffs to avoid some aspects of the "cleanse" effect.

Ill try removing my macros and playing it straight. But I know that the way my macros are set up, I hit one button, then alt to another, apply one debuff, then hit the other and apply a DoT. Then click another once they cleanse a DoT or effect.

I do use Squirrel, but not nearly as much as some people think. I usually like to change it up depending on the color bar I see. I avoid using all my GCD's in one shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Naesraen View Post
    An example build would be something like:
    Dominator (31)/Chloromancer (14)/Archon (0)

An explanation of my choices:
    Dom T1: Quick Thinking = fast casts after each squirrel; Clinging Form = 0 sec cd squirrel.
    Dom T2: Acumen = more intelligence = more mana, more DPS. no Improved Charged Shield, even tho it's nice - it's not nice enough for a 2 pt investment; no Priest's Lament - it just doesn't work well enough or reliably enough for a 1 pt investment.
    Dom T3: Controlled Opportunity = next attack after a squirrel does max normal damage. no Improved Mana Wrench - not worth the 3 pts investment; no Arresting Presence - no spare points, and you have more than enough charge dumps.
    Dom T4: Swift Control = faster casting after every squirrel; Transference = drains mana/energy and reduces regen and increases ability costs and does some damage. lekker! Quicken Form = 0 sec cast on squirrel; THE skill that makes squirrelling in PvP worthwhile. no Durable Control = squirelling is about interrupting your opponent and speeding up your cast times, not really about CC. most times your opponent will be immune to CC or break free from it - so time to break is not important.
    Dom T5: Micro-burst = 2 extra pulses of Storm Shackle, which hits surprisingly hard; Reflective Presence = half of how you kill other casters.
    Dom T6: Spilt Personality and Splintered Mind = Splits are your best burst DPS; more splits = more burst! Empowered Presence = the other half of how you kill casters. you can do 3 pts in Empowered too, if you like, for even greater spell reflect chance.
    Dom T7: Traitorous Influence = AoE damage and mana/energy drain-on-skill use; fantastic skill.

Ok. That is exactly my 2nd build. Almost to the letter. I use it for closing rifts or for large amount of PVE enemies. I have not tried it in PVP though as I am more comfortable with my Dom/Lock build

I seem to be having a rough time just learning the ropes. Although I have macro's and things which were easy to set up, Im finding PVP a challenge. Im level 34 and so my experience has been limited world PVP, so I don't have a ton of experience because up until now I rarely saw the enemy.
    One of the best things you can do is try to duel other players. It will get you used to checking their buffs quickly to determine their likely spec and hence their possible opening moves- or the sequence in which they may use them. Warfronts can be too chaotic to get into this level of detail. Duels will help you greatly in your open world PVP. Something I like to do is if I get jumped and killed, I head right back to that area. Chances are they might jump me again- now I have an idea of where to begin in countering them.

As others have said, Macros can be a hindrance for many specs especially Dom. Once you get very familiar with your build and spells, you may find yourself Macro'ing a couple things together because you know you will almost always use them that way. But in your mind you should have a little timer telling you when your cooldowns are ready.

I don't care if people think mages are op, or clerics are op or warriors are etc. I was just wondering if people had any tips for a new player who enjoys PVP but is not so familiar with Rift PVP.
    The hardest thing to get used to imho is the huge variety in builds/souls/classes. However, as time goes on you will notice that certain builds are more common than others.

I have some solid rotations, or I think I do. But I find I get overwhelmed by a person while I am questing and fighting other enemies if I get surprised react poorly. Any suggestions?
    Getting away from the idea of "rotations" is key in open world. PVP in Rift open world is going to be just like others- have situational awareness at all times. Be ready for anything, hit first and ask questions later. Rogues of course will get the jump on you because..well..that's what they do This is where duel experience comes in handy. You need to identify his build/style as soon as possible and go on the offensive. If ANY class forces you into reactionary mode you are dead. You will panic and blow your cooldowns and then you will get chewed up.

For example, I almost feel as a Dom, I should be closing closer to Melee or slightly in melee to allow for my spells to work.
    I don't consider myself to be an uber PVPer by any means, I would consider myself mediocre in a 1v1 /open world solo setting when compared to the people on my server (a pure PVP server), but I have been lucky to learn from some who are amazing at it- and while I don't melt faces, I can most times get enough control to get away or force my opponent to give up. Something you want to do at all times is -control the situation. Think of the tools you have to keep someone off you and use those. Something many Mages will have is an instant spell that they can spam while moving that chips away at the opponent.

Knowing EXACTLY what your spells to and what is the best time to use them is key. I know it sounds crazy but as a Dom I LOVE getting jumped by more than 1 person. Dom's can USE the other opponent to help them win. Also, if you get jumped by a healer and a melee-chances are those two are relying on each other. They are WAY less dangerous in some ways than someone who attacked you solo and is ready to survive on their own mettle.

I know there's no real way to say "here is how you PVP" but the best advice to give is to practice practice practice. You will feel more comfortable and will react quickly and calmly when you are attacked in open world.
    Ashrai@Deepwood
    Sporeslinger of <Godlike Awesomeness>

Plane Touched

Just my 2cents - which is related to my playstyle.
    (The only 51 point dom build I have used is on practice dummies/world mobs to play around with.)
    For PVP, if you like the Dom playstyle, you willl probably enjoy & have much better luck with ChloroDom (pretty close to a tank spec).
    You can still put 31+ points into Dom while getting a 10sec CD heal, 3 2min CD oh crap buttons (ST heal, AOE heal, ST shield).
    Dom rocks for debuffs, but it can only burst pretty hard once every 2 minutes with a moderate damage burst every 30 seconds.

The ChloroDom spec linked in the below post is very solid. I have a few points different for my likes, but this is a solid tankish build.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ecs-mages.html

ChloroDom is what I use in PVP when I can't get enough team support to play PyroDom.

If your set on Dom & enjoy going deep in it, then disregard this as others can give you far better advise.
    Last edited by Ploter; 02-08-2012 at 12:32 PM.

I am enjoying speccing really far into the Dom Tree, but I am wondering if it's perhaps my second soul warlock which is giving me the issues. I have a chloro version, and a SC version, and I find the SC version extremely fragile, but incredibly strong in the damage department (which is what I guess it's supposed to be in the long run)

I am sort of wondering if maybe I should focus on being a Dom/Cloro. Warlock is awesome, in many ways, and it has some really solid tricks. I like fear!

For some reason Pyro/Dom does not appeal to me at all.

I dunno. Im still playing around with everything. Not enough plat yet to buy my 4rth role, so my most solid spec right now is still going to be my warlock.

+ Reply to Thread