+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Empowered Presence

Shadowlander

Default Empowered Presence

Empowered Presence

Okay let me start of by saying that I am fully aware that virtually no build uses any points in this branch ability. My question is designed to prompt Trion to look at this and replace it or modify it with something more useful.

This branch ability does 3 things.

01. Increases the range of Arresting & Reflective Presence by 2 meters per point spent.
    02. Increases the chance of Reflective Presence by 5% per point spent.
    03. Gives Arresting Presence a 33% / 66% / 100% chance to proc an interrupt on up to 10 enemies within the range of Arresting Presence.

Is the added affect useful / does it make sense?

01. Increased range - Okay yes this seems fine. (Although both the abilities are branch abilities that need to be "purchased")

2. Additional reflect chance for Reflective Presence - This takes Reflective Presence from 60% to 75% chance to reflect. Okay I guess but I don't see Reflective presence EVER being viable in a PvE situation. I have never seen where it would give say half a raid worth of people the ability to reflect a boss AoE spell. and thus do significant damage to the boss and spare a bunch of AoE healing. It will never replace Reflect to bounce those tank killer boss spells back for major damage as you still end up with a 25% chance at a
    dead tank.

03. Interrupt Proc for Arresting Presence - This has to be the most confusing aspect of this Branch ability. Okay you have 10 mobs silenced within a given target (16m of the target at rank 3). The interrupt will not even come into play until you have an 11th mob in the area of effect (That is also trying to cast as well) as the other 10 mobs will already be silenced (I assume that Arresting Presence isn't "smart" and will silence melee mobs as well) and will not even be able to cast to be interrupted... or there are mobs that are immune to silence but not interrupts. Also when does this interrupt happen? When Arresting Presence is cast and each second after or does the first Proc happen 1s after Arresting Presence has been being cast and each second after that?

Now I know there people who will say that Dominator is "Phun" to play PvP but I do not want to start a Dominator is usefull / worthless in PvP debate, so I am just looking at this from a PvE perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbTroll View Post
    2. Additional reflect chance for Reflective Presence - This takes Reflective Presence from 60% to 75% chance to reflect. Okay I guess but I don't see Reflective presence EVER being viable in a PvE situation. I have never seen where it would give say half a raid worth of people the ability to reflect a boss AoE spell. and thus do significant damage to the boss and spare a bunch of AoE healing. It will never replace Reflect to bounce those tank killer boss spells back for major damage as you still end up with a 25% chance at a dead tank.
    we use to use this on Alsbeth to cheese the tank debuffs. you can reflect back all her stacks allowing for no tank swapping and giving more dps to the raid due to the stacks being reflected back to Alsbeth. as sc/dom i would top dps and deal with the stacks.
    Experience is the best teacher.. if you can afford the tuition.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaz View Post
    we use to use this on Alsbeth to cheese the tank debuffs. you can reflect back all her stacks allowing for no tank swapping and giving more dps to the raid due to the stacks being reflected back to Alsbeth. as sc/dom i would top dps and deal with the stacks.
    Okay I accept this for Alsbeth. In fact nice use of the affect, however, 1 boss in T1 raid it is useful/cool VS everywhere else kind of is a hard argument.

If this would work on Gaze of Sicaron (Sicaron's "constant" aoe) and some other AoE boss spells we might have something...

yeah, i'm with ya. wish some Dom abilities worked on more bosses. would make it a bit more exciting, and would be cool to change things up a bit. i wouldn't want it to be some mandatory thing for all encounters though, but that's just me. having a dedicated archon and a dedicated dom would kind of suck for our class. if your raid was short on mages you'd be somewhat stuck. toss in chloro or two and there isn't much room for dps. a couple fights needing a 51 dom would be kind sweet, but we'd need more role slots if they made another gimmick fight.
    Experience is the best teacher.. if you can afford the tuition.

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

I love these abilities for PvP as there is nothing more pleasing than watching a cleric crit themselves with Bolt of Judgment and Bolt of Depravity (and all the other abilities) and killing themselves instead of me.

In PvE, I agree. It would be nice to consider instances where having this sort of utility facilitates kills or someone later realizes Skill X would help trivialize a mechanic that seemed ridiculously overtuned or required everyone to be perfect for a lengthy boss fight. I'm not saying make having a mage spec into Dominator should be required for future raids -- just as previous poster said, it would be interesting to see it used in a raid environment.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Rift Disciple

Lots of things are immune to silence that are not immune to interrupt.

The reflective presence might not be that viable for pve, but it is amazing in pvp. It should not be removed, but maybe given some extra use in pve.
    -The Unnamed- Defiant
    Vayra - Mage
    Forkrul - Cleric
    Kalyth - FOTM warrior in training, 5k pvp kills at lvl 28

I dislike how you suggest replacing the ability when you only consider it from a PvE perspective. This would be a fatal blow if it were removed, from a PvP perspective. All of the effects from Empowered presence are very useful in PvP.

However, from a PvE perspective, I must ask - why are you focusing on this one talent when it could be said that the entire Dom tree, bar a handful of abilities, could be replaced to be useful in PvE?

It would be nice if Reflective presence reflected more things though. It would then be worth bringing a Dom into fights.

But with that being said, has anyone ACTUALLY TRIED it on the Hammerknell boss AoE's? It didn't work for me to reflect auto-attackcasts from Prince Dolin whilst Mage tanking.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Quote Originally Posted by Nastharl View Post
    Lots of things are immune to silence that are not immune to interrupt.
    This. You can get dozen of interrupts in a row on most trash mobs.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Quote Originally Posted by Soul sky View Post
    I dislike how you suggest replacing the ability when you only consider it from a PvE perspective. This would be a fatal blow if it were removed, from a PvP perspective. All of the effects from Empowered presence are very useful in PvP.

However, from a PvE perspective, I must ask - why are you focusing on this one talent when it could be said that the entire Dom tree, bar a handful of abilities, could be replaced to be useful in PvE?

It would be nice if Reflective presence reflected more things though. It would then be worth bringing a Dom into fights.

But with that being said, has anyone ACTUALLY TRIED it on the Hammerknell boss AoE's? It didn't work for me to reflect auto-attackcasts from Prince Dolin whilst Mage tanking.
    It won't reflect anything Reflective Command won't reflect. So you can easily try different things with that. That said, I don't think any other abilities than those that are specifically reflectable (dollin, matron) can be reflected.
    Last edited by Vayra; 02-07-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    -The Unnamed- Defiant
    Vayra - Mage
    Forkrul - Cleric
    Kalyth - FOTM warrior in training, 5k pvp kills at lvl 28

+ Reply to Thread