+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for fun AoE spec

Soulwalker

Default Looking for fun AoE spec

Hi guys

I just started out with my mage (lvl22 atm) and I went for a necro/lock build for soloing and single target dps, got a choloro/archon build for backup healing and support, and now I'm looking for a AOE/Dps build.

I'm horribly geared, just looking for some fun when running 5 man dungeons, or grinding low level non elite mobs. Just for leveling purposes, when I hit 50, I'm gonna respec using bluedot's guide anyways.

To keep it fresh, I'd love to try out the storm/ele/pyro tree.
    Any decent aoe spec for lvls 20-40 using those trees?

Soulwalker

I would go for either Pyromancer (with 16 pts in that tree you can get FireStorm wich is a good AoE skill and super easy rotation (just spam it and apply internalized charge when you have charge available))
    And single target dps is also easy rotation. (Countdown + fireball)
    Second soul, go for something where you can get some mana back (like Warlock, Elem or maybe Dominator for some extra utility), spend points on skills that seem to add dps, can't really go much wrong here.

Other option is to go for StormCaller, then you'd get a lot more AoE options but you'll need to manage a bit more complex rotation, esp to get decent single target dps.
    StormCaller goes very well with Elementalist, but any second soul with some mana tools would do I guess.
    Put as much points as possible in SC tree until you get the Lightning Storm skill (and Static Discharge) at lvl 32

Soulwalker

Hello there

Thanks for your quick reply.

complex rotation seems fine, I'd like to be kept on my toes!
    mana regen shouldn't be a problem with our group.

So a stormcaller/elem mix is the way to go when single target dps is not a factor?

Could anyone maybe post a sample build up to let's say lvl 30 so I have a decent starting point? Never tried any of those trees before. I can figure the rest out on my own after that.

thanks in advance.

Soulwalker

Something like
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1zyq_.VMci0A0zr.V0c

Not sure if Lighting strike in Elem tree is still worth it for single target, or if you're better off filling up StormShard and use Icicle.
    For single target dps make sure you always have 3 stacks of electrified and Ice Shear up

For AoE, until you get Lightning storm just 3xForked lighting and discharge with Lightning field, then fill up so you have 3 electrified stacks again with Forked lightning...
    + static flux when you have charge. Always static flux on when you use Lightning field, toggle off after if you're low on charge.

+ Reply to Thread