+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pyro Armor vs Fire Armor

Rift Disciple

Default Pyro Armor vs Fire Armor

I'm trying to figure out what gives more DPS increase in PVE. If I go Pyro/Lock I could use Fire Armor for the 15% damage buff and use Cinder Burst on opportunity procs, but is that a DPS loss or gain?

How about for PVP? Would Pyro Armor be better as a Pyro/Lock or Fire Armor?

Plane Touched

PVE fire armor, PVP pyro armor.

Champion of Telara

I am actually wondering whether fire armor was also one of those things 'fixed' in the multipicative -> additive change.

For the life of me, I could never fully understand why 5% fire dmg made much difference when neddra's influence and burning bright already added so much. 36/30, this works out to (36x1.2) +15+ (1.5x30) = 103.2%

Take into 10% glyph, 10% flamebolt, 20% necro, that's a whopping +143.2% for fire DoT's. So 5% from fire armor works out to be 5/243.2 = 2% increase.

Based on old tests, fire armor usually came out on top for 36/30 by quite a fair margin. Pyro has quite a bit of RNG, but I always questioned why fire armor was that much better. Haven't parsed since 1.7, but I believe it remains the same though (fire>pyro for non 51 builds... pyro>fire for 51 pyro builds).

I've been more of a fan of fire armor for pve, but that's probably because the rng hates me. But if you think about it, it can't proc for 10 seconds after a proc, which means for 10 seconds it has a 0% chance, for 20 seconds it has a 5% chance per cast in a 36 pyro build, 30 seconds its 6.6% etc... and pyro procs aren't as big of a dps gain as you might think, you lose half of a fireball every time you use a pyro proc, and in the process you might even lose your combustion stacks, sometimes 1 second is all it takes. I found that it only procced maybe once every 20-25 seconds or so.

Until they change the "bug" that Kervik told us about, Fire Armor is the clear choice.
    HorseMonkey
    Level 50 Mage
    (Mage Lead for Guild Vendetta - Deepwood - 5/8 ID)
    My Archon Guide

Personal preference really. I find that 8 times out of ten, my first flame bolt on any given pull yields a cinder burst, and it stays pretty consistent throughout fights. Maybe it's just the spec loving me, but I don't think I go more than 15 seconds without a cinder burst. Bear in mind here though, I'm not a min/maxer, so I'm also not devotedly looking for the absolute best 24/7. I use what I like, and it works.

Oh, and if you aren't using pyro armor in pvp, then you aren't pvping, you're wasting time. Also, well, no, there really isn't an "also" involved here, you just straight up fail if you don't use it in pvp xD

Shadowlander

Pyro is very hit or miss, personally i hate it. Worst ability ever made, i've had multiple parses on dummies screwin' around with 51 pyro where it won't proc for 45sec, i wish i still had the ACT of one specific time that i only got 3 procs in a full 5min in fact.... Fire armor on the other hand =) always consistant lol.

+ Reply to Thread