+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why do Dark Touch and Necrosis tick for 50 to 60 in PVP?

Default Why do Dark Touch and Necrosis tick for 50 to 60 in PVP?

How is this acceptable? Why do the DOTs from the non-DOT souls do more — albeit still weak — damage?

Against equally geared players as P38-40.
    Last edited by GLopez; 02-05-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    Zepol @ Seastone - Mage

Not sure if trolling or stupid, but ill bite it.

They dont tick that low. Yours might tick that low because you arent good at this game
    it is not enough these days to question authority, you gotta speak with it too

Champion of Telara

1stly, what voidmind said, they don't tick so low.

2ndly, its damage over time..... when you total it up, the spells hit for about as hard as any standard spell (barring fireball), slightly more even. The inherent disadvantage is that it is 'over time', allowing heals to try to save the guy.... in the face of valor, DoTs have some difficulty keeping up with HoTs, but it is still quite viable.

Quote Originally Posted by masakari81 View Post
    1stly, what voidmind said, they don't tick so low.

2ndly, its damage over time..... when you total it up, the spells hit for about as hard as any standard spell (barring fireball), slightly more even. The inherent disadvantage is that it is 'over time', allowing heals to try to save the guy.... in the face of valor, DoTs have some difficulty keeping up with HoTs, but it is still quite viable.
    They tick low. Dots should do more damage then a 2s cast. In the current state of the game dots do not work, or reduce the total time required by 1/2

My statement is pvp related
    Last edited by Snoozey; 02-05-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    Founder of http://www.manaforged.com/
    The multi-Gaming community.
    Registration is easy and fast!

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Snoozey View Post
    They tick low. Dots should do more damage then a 2s cast. In the current state of the game dots do not work, or reduce the total time required by 1/2

My statement is pvp related
    I only use DoT classes in PvP so I know what I'm talking about.... I kill things frequently enough. I don't mind a slight buff, but its no where near as bad as what you are implying. That, plus I die way less frequently than your resident pyro.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmind View Post
    Not sure if trolling or stupid, but ill bite it.

They dont tick that low. Yours might tick that low because you arent good at this game
    My Dark Touch ticks for 79 damage right now. 44 Lock + Full P8 gear + Powerstone. It's crap damage.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by overbyte View Post
    My Dark Touch ticks for 79 damage right now. 44 Lock + Full P8 gear + Powerstone. It's crap damage.
    79 x 10 = 790 dmg for 1 cast. Not exactly crappy.
    As I said... in practice, I kill things... it could be better, but I really don't feel like being another pyro/dom or 51 pyro running around WFs.
    Last edited by masakari81; 02-05-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Fireball =1.3k
    It also cannot be cleansed off either.
    It also is harder to heal up.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for, you want it to tick as hard as fireball hits?
    it is not enough these days to question authority, you gotta speak with it too

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Aguni View Post
    Fireball =1.3k
    It also cannot be cleansed off either.
    It also is harder to heal up.
    You need to stand still for 2s to cast that fireball.... I cast mine on the run.... I don't see how its fair to compare the 2.

Also, its been awhile since I've used pyro in PvP (just refuse to do what everyone else is doing), but last I checked, the dmg differential wasn't that big. I'll need to go back and parse it, but there's a reason why in 36/30, you still cast your DoTs to max DPS over fireball..... dark touch and searing vitality both do more dmg than fireball in terms of dmg per cast time with spark... without spark, the advantage switches to fireball, but the difference again being that I can cast on the move while you have to stand in one spot and get pummeled.

I avoid dot based builds like the plague. Why? Cuz quite frankly dot builds are horrible for PVP. Do dots burst? No. Will a decent cleanser cleanse them? Yes. Will a hybrid domi destroy you? If they have any idea what they're doing, yes.

Been running a 51 pyro build since 1.7 and typically top the charts with it. Do I have to "stand still" for lengthy periods of time? Eh, maybe a fireball or two. Do I have searing vitality and ignite? Yes. Are these two dots effective? No. They're either cleansed (around 80% of the time from what I've seen) heals just bypass them easily. The only real benefits I've seen of dots is it gives you something to do while moving when everything else is on cd.

warlock? spam dark touch to get opp proc
    pyro? spam ignite or searing vit to get cinder burst proc
    Oddly enough, pyro has far more "control" abilities at its disposal than warlock could ever dream of.
    Pyro Warlock
    1) root 1) fear
    2) disarm 2) single target kite (on cd)
    3) aoe stun 3) fearbomb
    4) aoe snare
    5) crappy stun (stuns you too)
    6) heatwave! repeat 1-5

While fear is nice...I actually feel safer with the control pyro brings to the table. The defensive abilities lock has just seem to get purged 100% of the time when I've popped them.
    But at least we can get married now!
    I'll be fishing in Codex...
    Nobodi - R8 Mage Defiant Deepwood
    Somebodi - 19 Rogue Guardian Deepwood (twink wannabe)

Champion of Telara

Warlock has a stun that doesn't stun himself!

But you are right in 1 respect.... DoT based builds are useless against any mage with 10 points in dominator in their build. Deny is my worst nightmare when using my lock spec. Although you would also be surprised at the number of people who do not cast it when fighting a warlock.

As I said... in practice, I kill things... it could be better, but I really don't feel like being another pyro/dom or 51 pyro running around WFs.
    I believe Dark Touch is 16 seconds, ticking every 2 seconds. Therefore 79x8 = 632 damage. crappy

79 damage every 2 seconds.

39.5 DPS.

Extraordinarily crappy.
    Last edited by overbyte; 02-06-2012 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmind View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for, you want it to tick as hard as fireball hits?
    DoT damage is unfairly penalized in PVP due to its very nature. All other damage is applied instantaneously, whereas DoT damage is applied over time. The longer it takes for damage to be applied, the greater the chances are for the person to heal, cleanse, run away or kill you. Additionally, that person continues to deal damage.

DoTs are used in PVP to apply pressure. I should be able to toss 3 DoTs on my target and they should be worried about the serious damage those DoTs do. Right now that just isn't the case.

I don't think anyone expects a DoT to tick like a fireball, but basically, as it stands, warlock DoTs need a substantial boost (aka 300%) in PVP. Effectively they should tick on players in PVP for what they tick for on NPCs in PVE now.

Let me use WOW as a reference, since they had a similar warlock class and went through similar machinations. Back in WoW, if I managed to get all my DoTs off on an opponent and they did nothing, they would end up sitting at ~15%-ish health (or dead if they had a small hp pool) when all the DoTs finished ticking. That's where it should be now as well. If I ran lock/necro at pvp rank 8 and tossed on Dark Touch, Defile, Necrosis and Life Leech on a player that's sitting under 85% health, they should be dead if they take no action. That is what I mean by pressure.

I'll never understand the pyro stun that also stuns the caster.

Who would want to stun themselves... especially when your opponent can break free just as easily and have an advantage (assuming blink / your own break free are on cd).

I've tried and tried but i've never found any situation where this has helped me... dark fury however, is great.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast