+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Greater Mark gearing question

Soulwalker

Default Greater Mark gearing question

I know that I'm a little late to the party, but here goes. I'm currently rocking the T3 (Amunet's) helm, gloves, pants, and shoes. I also have the Tormentor's chest (fugliest chestpiece i've seen in a while), and shoulders, and the virtuoso's (prev P7) belt. Currently, I have about 80 greater marks and 100 reg marks. Currently running RotP 2/4, and the first 3 or so bosses in HK. I'm crit capped, or at least very close to it, and i'm swimming in focus these days too. So i guess mostly looking at SP gains. I usually run pyro/fotm or archon (51/11dom/4pyro is looking pretty good this patch) in a raid, healing in 5-mans.

My question is this: which is the best way to determine gearing priorites for raid mark gear? Should i go by the biggest stat upgrade? cheapest? hardest to find a drop that provides a similar upgrade? easiest to get the t5 upgrade?

It makes my head spin a bit, to say nothing of the old spreadsheets becoming obsolete overnight. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions and may all the unfriendly faces you meet be melted by your magely swagger.

Quote Originally Posted by Umkay View Post
    I know that I'm a little late to the party, but here goes. I'm currently rocking the T3 (Amunet's) helm, gloves, pants, and shoes. I also have the Tormentor's chest (fugliest chestpiece i've seen in a while), and shoulders, and the virtuoso's (prev P7) belt. Currently, I have about 80 greater marks and 100 reg marks. Currently running RotP 2/4, and the first 3 or so bosses in HK. I'm crit capped, or at least very close to it, and i'm swimming in focus these days too. So i guess mostly looking at SP gains. I usually run pyro/fotm or archon (51/11dom/4pyro is looking pretty good this patch) in a raid, healing in 5-mans.

My question is this: which is the best way to determine gearing priorites for raid mark gear? Should i go by the biggest stat upgrade? cheapest? hardest to find a drop that provides a similar upgrade? easiest to get the t5 upgrade?

It makes my head spin a bit, to say nothing of the old spreadsheets becoming obsolete overnight. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions and may all the unfriendly faces you meet be melted by your magely swagger.
    If you're crit capped for raiding and can get 320 focus without focus runes then go by whichever piece gives you the most spell power for marks spent. If you can get the drop boots from matron do so since they are superior to even the relic boots
    Last edited by Araenn; 02-02-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Gd autocorrect!
    Windstorm - Mage - Faeblight US
    Hi, I'm back!
    Faeblight since CB3

Plane Walker

I think the best upgrade u can get is the 4 piece hk bonus asap, so thats boots,belt,gloves,helm. With that being said tho the matron boots are bis so u will bank those boots after u get a 5th piece. The hk dropped helm is horrible so your only upgrade option on that is the nyx piece.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by OwnaGeJuiCe View Post
    I think the best upgrade u can get is the 4 piece hk bonus asap, so thats boots,belt,gloves,helm. With that being said tho the matron boots are bis so u will bank those boots after u get a 5th piece. The hk dropped helm is horrible so your only upgrade option on that is the nyx piece.
    Pretty much what I did. Now I'm saving for the legs or robe (I have the shoulders from RoTP), and I will replace the boots with the matron boots (which I only got this week end, otherwise I would probably have waited and skipped them).

On a side note, I'm still pretty far from the crit cap (1016 rating right now), so I'm a bit confused about why so many people are saying that once you have the 4pc HK you're pretty much crit capped?

Quote Originally Posted by Pricia View Post
    Pretty much what I did. Now I'm saving for the legs or robe (I have the shoulders from RoTP), and I will replace the boots with the matron boots (which I only got this week end, otherwise I would probably have waited and skipped them).

On a side note, I'm still pretty far from the crit cap (1016 rating right now), so I'm a bit confused about why so many people are saying that once you have the 4pc HK you're pretty much crit capped?
    With raid buffs you will be at the crit cap. Read this:
    http://bluedots.org/2011/10/17/under...shing-returns/

Regarding which upgrades to choose, I found that the drops I got from RotP had a lot to do with which Nyx items I chose first. For instance, I was lucky enough to get the RotP gloves, shoulders, helm so I saved my marks for bigger upgrades. Whatever you choose to do make sure you plan it out ahead of time.
    Last edited by HorseMonkey; 02-02-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    HorseMonkey
    Level 50 Mage
    (Mage Lead for Guild Vendetta - Deepwood - 5/8 ID)
    My Archon Guide

I'd go for Gloves, Belt, Helm and then probably Legs for 4th piece
    HK Belt and Helm drops are terrible so upgrade them asap.
    Gloves because they're cheap.
    Legs because the HK drop is Grug and there is no RotP drop.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I'd go for Gloves, Belt, Helm and then probably Legs for 4th piece
    HK Belt and Helm drops are terrible so upgrade them asap.
    Gloves because they're cheap.
    Legs because the HK drop is Grug and there is no RotP drop.
    Or get soothsayer pants LIKE A BOSS!

Soulwalker

Default This seems to be the lay of the land for gear progression

I've been spreadsheeting it out, and here's what i came up with:

Priorities:
    1 no drops for the content I'm likely to see in the near future that are vastly superior
    2 at least a reasonable stat increase from my current gear (none of this +1-2 for an 80 or 100 mark piece bullcrap)
    3 Cheap!
    4 doesn't conflict with current set bonuses unless it gives a better bonus
    5 ?
    6 PROFIT!!!!

Better upgrades than the t4 piece
    Pants- Virtuoso's Pantaloons are -1 SP from the t5, have a whopping 34 end (2x the tier pieces), and require 0 marks. downside is favor grind)
    Boots - Matron boots are something like +20 SP from the t3, and better than the t5. downside is missing out on a cheap piece of tier gear, and waiting on a drop)

So what i'm thinking is:
    1 T4 belt, since it's cheap, around +7 SP, no other competing drops
    2 T4 helm, solid all around upgrade, not much competing gear
    3 Buy the t3 chest, it's a -sp for the slot, but maintains the set bonus +sp
    4 T4 gloves, cheap and similar to #2 and gets me to 3pc where it becomes worth switching synergy crystals
    5 T4 shoulders, SP increase is similar to belt, but with drops that are close to that from Murdantix, and the first boss of RotP, i'll hope for a drop to hold me over.

6 .... Chest? options from this point on seem kinda meh

Also of note, it looks like i will buy the t3 chest when i get the t4 helm since the helm I lose the T3 set bonus. The t4 synergy crystal only seems worth it at 3pc, since you lose the +SP bonus without the 4pc t3. In the meantime, if i get the RotP helm, that may change things a bit, but overall i think this will be the best way to go.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Aguni View Post
    Or get soothsayer pants LIKE A BOSS!
    Yep... I've found that soothsayer is better than the non relic Nyx ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Pricia View Post
    Yep... I've found that soothsayer is better than the non relic Nyx ones.
    True, forgot about those.
    Been rockin mah relics for a while now.

I guess with PvP changes you probably only need like R10 to get enough Favor for them.
    Nope.

Prophet of Telara

For neither love nor money DO NOT buy the boots. The drop boots from Zamira (who if you haven't downed you should soon - very easy) have more spellpower than even the relic boots.

From RotP you have access to:

Gloves
    Belt
    Shoulders

If you can down Silgen you then have access to the Chest and Helmet - all of the mage drops in RotP are pretty common.

RotP shoulders are close to relic shoulders- just slightly inferior but better than the epic.

RotP gloves are worse than the 50 mark gloves.

RotP belt is overall better than the 50 mark belt, but the 50 mark belt is easily upgradeable to the relic which is better.

RotP chest is better than the 100 mark chest but not relic - but you won't be getting the relic for some time...

RotP helmet is a bit poo and worse than the 80 mark epic helmet.

Conclusion:

Its not the cheapest way but I'd recommend:

Gloves
    Belt
    Helmet
    Legs

Now since 1.7 its no point rushing for 4set as our previously imba 4set spec is no longer so imba. (Its still top ST dps for a mage but not worth wasting marks for).
    World First Maelforge, Salvarola and Ultane.
    Officially quit!
    Props to my old guilds: eXile, Special Olympics, Exploit, Last Dawn

^ hes got it right
    theres a whole set that drops in hk too

cowl of blackest night
    mantle of ravaged souls
    raiment of deception
    gloves of disruption
    parasite ridden pantaloons
    and treads of darkness

all for free and certainly a nice set.
    who took my names!

I've been clearing Matron for months and months and our guild has yet to see Treads of Darkness. It will.not.drop. I rage a little inside each clear.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
    I've been clearing Matron for months and months and our guild has yet to see Treads of Darkness. It will.not.drop. I rage a little inside each clear.
    That saddens me.
    Ran an expert with Fracture Mages last night and they've only had one Treads drop ever.
    Luckily my guild has had 6, though 2 of them left :S

We have our problem with wands, still only 1 since it opened.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTrickle View Post
    F

RotP chest is better than the 100 mark chest but not relic - but you won't be getting the relic for some time...
    It's no longer better than Tormentor's as long as you have a non-******ed augment and don't need crit (who would?). The non-relic chest is also now better than the RotP chest since it is 1 or 2 more SP now (they buffed the int, perhaps also the SP).
    Adarel, 60 mage
    <Fires of Heaven>
    Deepwood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast