+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 51 Necro opinions

Champion of Telara

Default 51 Necro opinions

Just tried parsing this today for the heck of it, and I must say that it is not as bad as the impression I had from reading the forums.

I averaged ~ 200 DPS behind pyrolock.... with a relatively brain dead rotation. It beat 51 lock flat.... will be testing against 51 ele, but I believe it does better.
    On top of that, 2/3 of the dmg was done by my pets.... which would suggest that in movement heavy fights, this spec might not parse that badly in relative terms.

I'm not exactly sure how well, this scales in raid, but of the top of my head, this isn't nearly that bad. Was just wondering if anyone has tried this in HK.

If it's 200 behind 36/30 (our second highest spec) It's in alot of trouble. That spec scales incredibly well in raids due to Burning Purpose and the massive coefficient on Fireball. It also makes better use of instants because of Spark.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Champion of Telara

Spark is already considered in the base dummy parse... raid doesn't give it extra benefit.
    And 36/30 doesn't scale nearly as well in raid as you think as all the instant casts do not benefit from burning purpose. On top of that, auras and fanfares actually benefit the pet quite a bit.

The main advantage 36/30 has is that fireball scale extremely well as you have mentioned. I basically just threw a 51 pointer together and went to parse without much practice and got a much better result than almost any other non-pyro lock build. It probably could do with a few more tweaks to improve it. The only problem I had was what to do with the 15 points as nothing seems to go well with necro.

Champion of Telara

Just an add on.... its about the same as 51 ele..... which I thought was a bit poorer. My memory is failing.

Only diff is that ele, most of the dmg comes from the mage, for necro, most of it comes from the pet.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by masakari81 View Post
    Just tried parsing this today for the heck of it, and I must say that it is not as bad as the impression I had from reading the forums.

Given that the majority of forum people don't know what the word "viable" means, and think that a minor nerf can make a class completely useless (see the chloro thread on this forum right now) your only real problem was taking anything you read on the forums seriously in the first place.

And yes, I get the irony.

This is one of my favorite builds. It's a lot of fun. Be sure to keep the appropriate debuffs in place to get the most from your pet.

I placed the remaining 15 points in archon to buff and shield the pet and to get my stats up. I use stormcaller for the zero point soul to get the knockback ability.

Mass grave is a great ability. It's effects differ depending upon what your main pet is.

If you're in a group with another necro, then you might try bringing out the mage pet.

Champion of Telara

Ooh, you reminded me of something.

Necro's synergise well with each other. Deathly calling stacks can be done by just 1 necro... and I THINK looming demise as well. This was actually done during the era of zoomancer where the archon was made to put deathly calling stacks.

I'm half tempted to try this on say grug where there is quite a bit of movement.... mages aren't topping that fight anyway (unless they're the ones assigned to AoE). I just need more soul options (6 still not enough :P).

It does come within like 150-200dps of pyro on dummies for me too, but doesn't scale well at all with raid buffs. Believe me I've tried every possible combination. 10dom/5ele, 15archon, 15pyro, 15 warlock, even a weird 15 chloro one to keep up entropic veil and the 25%int. Just can't seem to close that gap, its frustrating as hell. The 4pc hk bonus does give you quite a decent boost but its not enough. Pets need to scale better pure and simple. And your aoe dmg is probably the worst of any mage except archon, even with mage pet out and aoe fights like matron, he only does about 3-400more dps than the zealot. I want so badly for necro to work but its just missing some little piece somewhere. Although you're right in high movement, single target fights it does best, like several in DH, infiltrator in gsb, etc. I've actually managed to do respectable and be in the top couple dps on those. Come on trion help us pet classes out! Just make pets scale better and/or add in some pet focus items to buff them up. Something, anything.

lgw

Heavy movement fights = SC / Pyro
    You should have that spec anyway, cause it's also great for AOE and often beats Pyro/Lock for target switches.

People define viable = helps you at killing a new boss.
    O/C you can derp HK 1-10/11 using things like 51 Ele when overgearing and being in a decent guild. But on progression (no matter if for world firsts or just starting into GSB) those 20-30% lost damage, crap AOE, etc will make a big difference.
    Last edited by lgw; 02-02-2012 at 05:05 AM.

Have you tried spyro in 1.7? How's dps compared to 36/30? Tired of pyrolock derping so much, last hk I was sleeping while drunk and still pushed numbers. Pyrolock is so boring.
    Last edited by Skyfoxy; 02-02-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    happy dominator
    <- uberhealz

lgw

SC/Pyro has not changed at all vs Pyro/Lock, probably even a slew better than now as it's slight less hurt by the GOP nerf.

Pure ST it still loses against Pyro/Lock, but it's every competative in any real encounter compared to just dummy parses as soon as there's any AOE. Also not relying on DOTs is great in a number of situations, like burning adds, damage control on King, etc.
    My main point is that between SC/Pyro - Pyro/Lock - Lock/Pyro, the margin for Pyro/Lock is very slim. Personally I simply skipped P/L for weeks now, using either S/P or L/P in any given situation, and I hardly missed P/L at all.
    No P/L is the easiest of the three, has the least gear requirements to become viable and is the best if you only had to pick only a single spec for group PVE -- but once you're past that, it loses a lot of appeal.

+ Reply to Thread