+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fresh lvl 50 mage! Best build for grinding T2's!

Default Fresh lvl 50 mage! Best build for grinding T2's!

Heya guys, a friend of mine just hit 50 on her mage. Trying to help her out with a good DPS/AOE spec. for grinding T2 dungeons. Thanks!

Banned

With mages I'm pretty sure you can actually randomly distribute points, and randomly mash buttons and win.

I just got a mage to level 50 over the weekend and ended up using about half chloro and half warlock for my spec from about level 20 on up to 50. It lets you queue as both DPS and support does a decent amount of damage and has enough heals that you can fill in gaps for the healer when you need to. No one's complained about my DPS yet, so I must be doing something right cause I'm sure the fingers would be pointing if it was really that bad.

That or go all in to pyro.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Traciatim View Post
    With mages I'm pretty sure you can actually randomly distribute points, and randomly mash buttons and win.

I just got a mage to level 50 over the weekend and ended up using about half chloro and half warlock for my spec from about level 20 on up to 50. It lets you queue as both DPS and support does a decent amount of damage and has enough heals that you can fill in gaps for the healer when you need to. No one's complained about my DPS yet, so I must be doing something right cause I'm sure the fingers would be pointing if it was really that bad.

That or go all in to pyro.
    That's a support role, not a DPS role. 36Pyro/30Lock is a good single target and also a good AoE build if you put 1 point into Fire Storm.

Ok thanks we got the 36/30 pyro lock build. Whats the best rotation? What spells for single target and what ones for AOE? If someone has macro's that would be great! Thanks allot!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hopp View Post
    That's a support role, not a DPS role. 36Pyro/30Lock is a good single target and also a good AoE build if you put 1 point into Fire Storm.
    Yeah, I pop DPS 1 in probably 15 times, so figured they might actually want to run a dungeon.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by dayzed View Post
    Ok thanks we got the 36/30 pyro lock build. Whats the best rotation? What spells for single target and what ones for AOE? If someone has macro's that would be great! Thanks allot!
    Buffs:
    Use Fire Armor (don't even put point to Pyro Armor as it's not effective with only 36 points in Pyro), Glyphs of Power and Flaring Intellect

AoE:
    Open with Flame Bolt to get the 10% increased damage then turn on Internalize Charge and cast Fire Storm. You will run out of charge pretty much immediately but the +20% bonus from Internalize Charge will still affect the whole duration of Fire Storm. By the time you finish channeling Fire Storm, Flame Bolt will come off CD so you can repeat the process. Honestly I don't have a macro for this because it's pretty simple to do manually but something like this could work:

#show Flame Bolt
    cast Flame Bolt
    cast [notactive] Internalize Charge
    cast Fire Storm

ST:
    basically Fireball spam with Flame Bolt and Countdown spam on CD. Use Heatwave with Internalize Charge as soon as you hit 100 charge after the boss fight begins. Next time you hit 100 charge you use Withering Flames. When Withering Flames is on CD then just turn on Internalize Charge when you have 90-100 charge. Apart from that it's pretty much just spamming Fireballs. If you have the reaction time then cast Cinder Burst on Opportunity procs instead of Fireball. When the boss is under 30% cast Inferno on CD as well.

There are some more sophisticated rotations which include keeping up Searing Vitality form 0 Archon and Dark Touch as well but for farming T2's the simple rotation is more than enough.

I've not got builds handy but I run 2 roles:

1. Pyro/Elementists - You get double AOE damage with heat wave and burning ground. Can keep damage high with pet and constant dot's. Good buffs for bosses too

2. Chloro/lock - 51 chloro and 15 warlock. Works for heals and keeps people standing nearly all the time. Makes you reliable too and gets into t2's quickers

Sword of Telara

Yeah, I pop DPS 1 in probably 15 times, so figured they might actually want to run a dungeon.
    Having a support role is a good thing but most of the time the group/healer asks the support guy to go DPS. That's the time when you switch to an actual DPS build.

Quote Originally Posted by Intim View Post
    I've not got builds handy but I run 2 roles:

1. Pyro/Elementists - You get double AOE damage with heat wave and burning ground. Can keep damage high with pet and constant dot's. Good buffs for bosses too

2. Chloro/lock - 51 chloro and 15 warlock. Works for heals and keeps people standing nearly all the time. Makes you reliable too and gets into t2's quickers
    Yes, you will get into WAY more T2's by queueing as a healer. Check out the Bluedots link above for info/advice on healing as a 51 Chloro (HINT: Void Life Void Life Void Life Void Life)

Any of the Pyro builds should be good for DPS in a T2.

For Support... well, have a 51 Archon build in your repertoire to be able to queue support... then DPS.

Stop giving away our secrets ...
    Adaiii <-Vendetta->

I like to run 45 SC/21 Chloro/ 0 Archon

Really good AoE.

Moderate ST.

Great support heals (I have the healing trinket...forget what it's called, but it procs off ALL damage..so Lifegiving veil works well)..especially if main is a Cleric, you can help a lot with Radiant Spores and Flourish, and of course battle rezzing the healer if they drop.

TWO Battle Rezzes

A knockback, and a few stuns and roots.

You won't be topping DPS, but you will have solid DPS, and lots of utility skills that your party will come to appreciate...and your AoE will be really solid.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Quote Originally Posted by dayzed View Post
    Heya guys, a friend of mine just hit 50 on her mage. Trying to help her out with a good DPS/AOE spec. for grinding T2 dungeons. Thanks!
    If the goal is simply to grind T2 dungeons, I'd recommend running 51 Chloro. You'll get into dungeons much faster that way.

That being said, if you want a good DPS/AOE spec just for dungeons, try this:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#iEC5a28/g91i4B90/h

Most of the time you spend in dungeons is on groups of trash mobs, and this spec is designed for heavy aoe damage. It's not as great on boss fights, but a single target dps spec isn't really optimal for dungeon running, in my opinion. Hailstorm->Flame Bolt->Internalize Charge->Lightning Storm->Lightning Field is an excellent opener. If there are mobs left, cycle Forked Lightning->Lightning Field.

+ Reply to Thread