+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 30/36 Dark Fury for movement DPS?

Default 30/36 Dark Fury for movement DPS?

Just wanted to get other people's opinion on dropping 1% Crit and picking up Dark Fury to use purely for running DPS.

lgw

* Time your with instants.
    * Better use that GCD on Flicker if movement comes unexpected and/or is really long.

Don't waste that 1% crit on a low damage ability.

Ya, after a very long time on the dummies 1% crit seem like too much DPS to give up. And I guess the crit still helps for movement DPS. I am however dropping a point in Vitality to pick up Draining Bolt for on the move DPS.
    Last edited by Jeremiahcp; 01-30-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Any thoughts on going 2/3 on Wildfire and pick up both Pyromancer's Armor and Fire Storm?

lgw

Why would you want to waste one of your best DPS talents ?

I mean if you seriously WANT Pyro skip FStorm. But Pyro kinda conflicts with Opp procs, and in 36/30 you don't expect much more procs than once every 30s anyway... hence Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    Why would you want to waste one of your best DPS talents ?

I mean if you seriously WANT Pyro skip FStorm. But Pyro kinda conflicts with Opp procs, and in 36/30 you don't expect much more procs than once every 30s anyway... hence Fire.

"I mean if you seriously WANT Pyro skip FStorm."

I don't think so...... Overall I feel that would be a huge DPS loss.

"But Pyro kinda conflicts with Opp procs,"

I don't really see how it conflicts. It frees up Opp procs to be used on FBs.

I'll keep testing it, mostly likely you are right but I need to see the DPS differences before I just write it off.

---

The other day I was talking with a warrior buddy of mine, and I mentioned what I get on a dummies parse. And he made the comment that mages must not scale very well with raid buffs. As we raid together and he knows my raid dps. We are about a match in raid DPS but he gets much lower on the dummies. So I was wondering if the problem was not so much how mages scale but perhaps how much they lose to movement.

lgw

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiahcp View Post
    The other day I was talking with a warrior buddy of mine, and I mentioned what I get on a dummies parse. And he made the comment that mages must not scale very well with raid buffs. As we raid together and he knows my raid dps. We are about a match in raid DPS but he gets much lower on the dummies. So I was wondering if the problem was not so much how mages scale but perhaps how much they lose to movement.
    Well, as long as Wars can stay on the boss, movement hardly affects them. But the same could be said for any range who knows how to manage his movement.
    But parsing good in an actual raid environment compared to just dummy is skill -- it'll come with time, but you need to practise it. For example I outparse our 2nd highest DPS Mage by "only" 10% on Sica/Murda, all things being equal. On other bosses (given we have the same job) it can go as high as 30%.
    Last edited by lgw; 01-30-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    Well, as long as Wars can stay on the boss, movement hardly affects them. But the same could be said for any range who knows how to manage his movement.
    But parsing good in an actual raid environment compared to just dummy is skill -- it'll come with time, but you need to practise it. For example I outparse our 2nd highest DPS Mage by "only" 10% on Sica/Murda, all things being equal. On other bosses (given we have the same job) it can go as high as 30%.
    Nvm, I'll go find someone who will take me seriously.

lgw

GL - but anybody with serious advise will tell you just that... improve your play. Others can, so it ain't the spec.

Prophet of Telara

36/30 probably sees about 45-55% increase with raid buffs/debuffs over the dummy.

Shadowlander

Ya, 36 / 30 shouldn't really need any points exchanged for extra insta casts, you can either save your wildfire procs if you know you're about to move, or spam dark touch while moving to gain oppurtunity procs (much more effective then most people think). I parse around 2100 on a target dummy self buffed and over 2700-3k on most raid bosses with a bard + archon. We scale very well >.>

Champion of Telara

For what its worth, lgw wasn't exactly trolling you.
    I have many mages in my guild who consistently parse higher than me on the dummy (better stats part of the reason), but in raid, I usually beat most of them. Raid awareness sometimes is more key than being pitch perfect in your rotation.

Having said that, it is true that 36/30 does not scale as well in raids. Warriors and mages scale about the same in raids.... however, part of the major scaling for mages comes from burning purpose. Burning purpose doesn't affect DPS for 2 group of skills..... instant casts and skills which drop below the GCD after the cast time reduction. 36/30 has quite a bit of instant casts so it suffers a little when it comes to scaling. 38/28 also has a lot of instant casts, but the 30% crit dmg mitigates it somewhat.... even with the change in lock crystal, I believe the new dmg boost to DoT's is multiplicative, hence it still parses relatively well (no one has seen it in raid yet though).

Champion of Telara

Just to add...

If you actually look at the various buffs, those that affect mages are actually better than warriors (7% dmg increase vs 5%, SP better than AP etc etc). That also means that to do competitive DPS, mages are more dependent on your buff bots (archon/bard). Very few players place emphasis on being a good support.... I'm in charge of monitoring raid archon buffs and we unfortunately rotate, so I know that many archons tend to forget something or other fairly frequently.... I'm sure the same goes for bards.

Fire armor for outperforms pyro armor. There's really no reason to run it. Archon and bard are pretty much the two most important players in the raid because of the sheer impact they have. If you have derps playing them you're doing it wrong.
    Nope.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    If you have derps playing them you're doing it wrong.
    Its not easy finding a good permanent archon/bard. All I can do is rotate and educate/scold.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast