+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice for beating rogues?

Default Advice for beating rogues?

Hello all I am new to this whole mage thing and I have found one problem in pvp so far that I havnt really found a way to deal with and it's rogues. Now I am only level 27 but I am trying to get my "pvp legs" early on you could say with my pyro spec that will eventually lead me into pyro/Dom at level 50.

Now my problem is that it seems like I can't fight back against a rogue when by jump me or if they are a ranger/mm they just do to much DMG. Is it that they just dominate low leve loco and there is nothing I can do about it until I hit 50 or is there something I can do to fight back?

I have tried to Flicker away from a rogues opening stun but ever single rouge just ports to me straight away and continues to slighter me . Any help from some experienced mages in the community would be a big help.
    Last edited by Arago; 01-28-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Spelling fail.

lgw

Chloro/Lock or Necro/Lock while leveling, Chloro/Dom as low rank, later also Pyro/Dom.

Rift Chaser

First off I am going to say that this game is not very geared towards 1 vs 1 fighting between classes. While I have specs that can dominate healers or dominate melee, and even builds that do fair against ranged rogues, there is no build that I have used with 100% success rate since 1.5.

The 1,6 patch introduced a major and probably necessary patch to Blood thirsty and how much the proc heals for. It is essentially useless to me as a mage now, as I rarely see the entirety of the healing it does or the healing could have been just as easily done by drinking because I am out of combat and away from danger.

That being said, the important skills are pretty common sense stuff. Anything that can take your opponent out of battle, slow your opponent, disarm your opponent or severely limit the damage they deal for any period of time are useful skill to have. These abilities are essential for any pvp build in my opinion, however another important necessity in pvp combat is doing enough damage to your opponent before they can either escape or deal enough damage to kill you.

The Dominator tree is one of the more obvious tree's because it offers control mechanics in transmogify as well as slowing mechanics. Other tree's also offer survivability cooldowns and stuns like a warlock tree. Our pyro tree is excellent too because it outputs a large amount of damage.

Pick a theme and stick to that theme, at lower rank and gear levels you will want to have more control abilities and survivability cooldowns so that you can retreat from combat and allow your allies to assist you.

After you have reached later ranks and gear levels you want more damage output and fewer control mechanics. This is why lower lanked players go deep in the dominator/Chloro/Warlock tree's and later builds tend towards Pyro or Stormcaller (which is lacking in the current patch for dmg output).

Rift Chaser

Missed my edit window.

The spec I use to beat most melee rogues at the moment is this.

When they open from stealth I hit (mass fear), when they close I again I hit (electrocute, followed by single target fear). After that It is a race to out damage them. While they are incapacitated i.e. feared I stack my dots, (life leech, Dark touch, Defile, and Neddra's grasp). On an oppurtunity proc I hit (void bolt), and when I sense they are near death I will hit them with (draining bolt, than darkfury, followed by void bolt spam).

This is what works for me, in my gear, against the rogues in my battlegroup. YMMV
    Last edited by DinoSS; 01-29-2012 at 03:30 AM.

Against a competent rogue, the only build that currently stands a chance is the chloro/dom unless you outgear them then you can kill them quick enough with pyro/dom

lgw

Quote Originally Posted by DinoSS View Post
    The spec I use to beat most melee rogues at the moment is this.
    This simply is a bad build.

1) At the very least use 0p Archon instead of 0p SC.
    2) Actually, if you want both Overload, Hastened Withdrawel AND deep Lock, at least invest your last 3 points into less crit taken from AM and don't waste them in WL.

Quote Originally Posted by kronor View Post
    Against a competent rogue, the only build that currently stands a chance is the chloro/dom unless you outgear them then you can kill them quick enough with pyro/dom
    Actually, a well played NB/RS and MM won't ever die to a Chloro/Dom due Leaching/Vampiric. Your damage output is just too abmyssal.
    The only big damage you have is SP, and that one is easily countered by both specs.

Chloro/Dom is decent to survive Deep Sins... but then again, Pyro/Dom does that just as well due Flicker. HP Tonic to counter a bleed & Vanish combo, the rest is taken care by kiting, debuffing and using Incompetence.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    1) At the very least use 0p Archon instead of 0p SC.
    2) Actually, if you want both Overload, Hastened Withdrawel AND deep Lock, at least invest your last 3 points into less crit taken from AM and don't waste them in WL.

I used 45/0/21 for quite a while, and after watching footage I saw how often HW actually saved me, and I didn't feel it warranted the point. I often switch the sc and archon back and forth for the dot over the push back. I find both work equally well depending on the situation.

I will admit to doing a a lot less pvp since I maxed out my marks in November. I've probably only done about 15 wf's a week since then.

lgw

Well, if you don't want HW, then by all means go 51 WL. Stopping so short is simply a waste.

And PVP has changed quite a bit over the last patches...

Rift Chaser

Oh I played pyro/dom for 2 wf's and it absolutely destroyed. I just prefer not to jump on the fotm bandwagon.

My terrible spec.

+ Reply to Thread