+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any creative ideas with wands?

Default Any creative ideas with wands?

Something that's kinda popped in my mind from time to time is how wands are so useless other than just being a stat slot. Surely a game developer could come up with a fun and useful way to use and incorporate wands instead of just a stat slot.

Does anyone have any ideas? or seen wands being used in an interesting way in previous mmos?

Soulwalker

I dunno, they could have our DPS be based on whether we have a relic wand like I have heard a warriors DPS is based on...pretty sure I dont like that idea =P

Plane Walker

dumbest thing about wand attacks is they're based on Hit not Focus. I would like them based on focus, give wand DPS a small scaling from Int, and have free wand autoattacks between spells, but it's not going to happen.

mage phase
    divert % of inc from melee/ranged attacker to ranged/melee attacker

ie:take some melee dps and bounce it to a ranged attacker or vice verse but both possible whilst wielding a wand

think rogues phases / war wep switching..
    Last edited by Pixel Monkey; 01-29-2012 at 12:01 AM.
    who took my names!

I have absolutely no idea what wands are for. None. If they had a cool proc, or something making them usuable then it would be interesting. But even casting a spell brings up our melee weapons, but if for some reason they would remain toggled, so you could kite (some people would hate that I now) it would be more beneficial.

right now, wands are generally just stat machines, but there is nothing really going for them other than that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiss View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what wands are for. None. If they had a cool proc, or something making them usuable then it would be interesting. But even casting a spell brings up our melee weapons, but if for some reason they would remain toggled, so you could kite (some people would hate that I now) it would be more beneficial.

right now, wands are generally just stat machines, but there is nothing really going for them other than that fact.
    Unless you happen to have the sheeping wand...

but even that doesn't really help you, it's just fun to sheep people.
    "If you argue for your limitations, you get to keep them" - Richard Bach
    "Never make the mistake of confusing kindness for weakness..." - Anonymous

Great list of help for new players! Click Here!

Rift Chaser

Give bards/archons a return mana/energy/rage on auto-attack buff. Problem solved.

This isn't something you could really retroactively do, but you could make abilities that have increased scaling based off of your wand DPS. Boring, but it'd give the wand purpose. The other option is a bunch of different procs on wands, kind of like that SP wand out of IT

Think of the wand the next time you get silenced or go oom...

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by drabk View Post
    dumbest thing about wand attacks is they're based on Hit not Focus. I would like them based on focus, give wand DPS a small scaling from Int, and have free wand autoattacks between spells, but it's not going to happen.
    Forgot to mention we already get free melee autoattacks between spells, if we're in range. but wand autoattack turns off if we cast a spell. dumb dumb dumb

i really don't think a wand needs to do anything else besides being just a stat stick for a mage it just fills the void of the ranged slot. rings and necks don't add anything either then stats, and there's no issue there.

with that said.. lol. i think a cool idea for necks/rings/wands would be to add an increase to a type of elemental damage. the stats would just be a bonus. this sounds fun and all to me, but balance would just suck. basing dps on having that type of buff vs not having it, drop rates in general (more wand types would mean more drops needed), the fact that other classes would QQ due to us getting goodies. i'm just getting old school rpg here, but adding elemental damage bonus to a ring or wand just makes sense to me.

the reason why mages bring up the wand issue every once in a while is due (like others have said) to the fact that our ranged slot is worthless besides stats. if it did decent dps while we weren't casting or on GCD then that would be something. like if all dots are up and we have to move, we would have the option to use your wand and actually have it be a decent filler. i'm not saying it needs to keep up with our actual spells, but just make it so we aren't refreshing the same instants as to not waste a GCD in raid. making it an instant 1-1.5 sec GCD ability that was just a little lower then all of our normal damage spells would at least be something and better then nothing.
    Experience is the best teacher.. if you can afford the tuition.

+ Reply to Thread