+ Reply to Thread

Thread: After an hour of PvP on the PTS...

Shield of Telara

Default After an hour of PvP on the PTS...

It's not THAT bad. We are, however, pigeonholed into dom hybrids(or chloro/lock if you are bad - yeah, I said it). Paragons are critting on PotT, PotH, and PotR all 2.2k+ and are immune to pretty much everything. There is no more detaunt. This means you're ONLY hope against them is SS, transference and TI - forget 51 builds. Rift Tomb is a joke, the only time you would want to use it are on people who are immune to it, and then you have to wait another 2m before you get a chance to use it again. Resilience was decent, but it got nerfed down to 1% crit chance reduction. Hastened withdrawal speed buff isn't even noticeable, the "break-free" portion of it is nice though, I guess.

However, when it's all said and done, we pyro/doms still burst pretty hard, and have some of the best CC abilities in the game. Bad mages are going to QQ so hard, but the good ones will simply get better with positioning, "kiting", and learning exactly how far 20m really is and making sure you are further away from a warrior than that.
    Rank 8, 11/11

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveJones View Post
    Bad mages are going to QQ so hard, but the good ones will simply get better with positioning, "kiting", and learning exactly how far 20m really is and making sure you are further away from a warrior than that.
    So nothing has changed.

lgw

No, we're down from 3.5 competative (Pyro, Pyro/Dom, Chloro/Dom and maybe full Dom) and some niche (full SC, full Chloro, some WL stuff) down to one spec only... Pyro/Dom.

Problem #1 is that one spec only becomes kind boring over time.
    Problem #2 is that Pyro/Dom even more so than Mages already are an extremly high skill based class.

The amounts of bads who AFKed to P8 and are now macro rocking with things like Warden, MM, etc is already much too high, thanks to an all grind PVP system. Been calling out that issue for months...
    But as hard as it is to believe, it'll only go downhill from here...
    Last edited by lgw; 01-27-2012 at 03:30 AM.

Plane Touched

not that bad?
    that sounds pretty bad to me..
    although you are right good players will adapt, if the mechanics are going against us that much then there is a limit.
    i dont really mind mitigation being reduced as in early patch 1 days but the mechanics of stuns and introduction of diminishing returns since then make it impossible to keep melee at distance / disarmed.

further PA pvp has reductions to stun duration. It's crazy basically what is being tried here.

no good player wants to have to hit respawn just to play the class

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by styl View Post
    not that bad?
    that sounds pretty bad to me..
    although you are right good players will adapt, if the mechanics are going against us that much then there is a limit.
    i dont really mind mitigation being reduced as in early patch 1 days but the mechanics of stuns and introduction of diminishing returns since then make it impossible to keep melee at distance / disarmed.

further PA pvp has reductions to stun duration. It's crazy basically what is being tried here.

no good player wants to have to hit respawn just to play the class
    You know I re-read what I wrote this morning and thought about it and I keep thinking that yeah, it's pretty bad. Considering how useless the PA abilities are, the only benefit for going into that tree would be for the vengeance and valor. Why get vengeance when you can just spend the PA on the other souls and just straight stats/sp that will work for both PvE and PvP?

I'm gonna say **** it and just 51 archon and hide behind pillars in 1.7 if these changes stay. I usually try to be more constructive with my criticisms but I don't even know where to begin with these changes.
    Rank 8, 11/11

No matter how hard it gets, I am sticking with chloro healing and/or support. That's what I have been doing since release. My philosophy to getting WF wins is that if I can bring support and heals to my team I increase my chances of winning. And I have noticed that even doing a crappy job of healing the presence of a chloro can still make a difference. A geared warrior can do a lot of damage when I am shooting them bloom/flourish every CD.

Guess I'll have to chloro/dom or maybe some other type of chloro hybrid. I guess at least with choro/dom I get some control, power/mana drains, and an AE reflect. Prob. my best bet, if I can't push the big heals, at least I can CC hard hitting DPS/healers and reflect spells.
    Last edited by Jeremiahcp; 01-27-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Rift Disciple

OP has one bit right. Its really not bad for mages in the slightest.
    Pyro/Dom - still silly power
    Chloro/Dom - still stupid ammounts of utility.
    Pyro/Chloro - not as much bite to its bark, but still does its job.
    SC - Just changed pvp soul to elementalist... still uber strong.

Immune is only popping up more in VK spec's and Diminshing returns. Nothing to do with abilities simply not working. when you have wf full of mages with /dom specs... this happens allot!

"cant keep melee off" sorry, but that is the whole point of warriors. they are ment to be in ur face... There ranged abilities are however tricky, but remember, in PTS practically everyone is R8 with best R8 gear... You would hope for the sake of balance that every class has the ability to do some kind of burst for the sakes of pvp balance

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Easby View Post
    OP has one bit right. Its really not bad for mages in the slightest.
    Pyro/Dom - still silly power
    Chloro/Dom - still stupid ammounts of utility.
    Pyro/Chloro - not as much bite to its bark, but still does its job.

Immune is only popping up more in VK spec's and Diminshing returns. Nothing to do with abilities simply not working. when you have wf full of mages with /dom specs... this happens allot!

"cant keep melee off" sorry, but that is the whole point of warriors. they are ment to be in ur face... There ranged abilities are however tricky, but remember, in PTS practically everyone is R8 with best R8 gear... You would hope for the sake of balance that every class has the ability to do some kind of burst for the sakes of pvp balance
    Don't be surprised when you see more warriors using way of the mountain. The good warriors know how to switch "ways" based on the opponent they are facing. Warriors are meant to be in your face, but casters are meant to be at ranged, so I don't see how that is a valid argument for anything. Oh yeah, their current FotM on the PTS isn't melee anyways. Every class having burst is fine, but on live mage's burst is dependent on crits, procs, long cooldowns(heatwave? split personality?) cast times and LoS. Warriors are bursting with equivalent damage just using their normal attacks that are all <10s cooldowns. Most of them are AoE cones. From range.

Did the "1 star voters" make any comments or just vote? No way this thread is worse than the "omg post here if you're quitting because of 1.7!!"
    Last edited by ElusiveJones; 01-27-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    Rank 8, 11/11

Plane Touched

I don't mind Dom, but any chloro build without it is awful, and we seemingly have no pure dps spec ( i don't care if it's pyro/lock/Sc) which leaves mages in a pretty ****ty spot. Hopefully there's still time to work stuff or it's not really that bad.

Rift Disciple

"It's not THAT bad. We are, however, pigeonholed into dom hybrids(or chloro/lock if you are bad - yeah, I said it)"

.......lol my chlorolock rocks!!! Always has and still will. I will see to it. No one has ever complained when we win in WF's and no one has ever complained when we lost WF's due to my spec. Maybe you need to play Dom cause you cannot survive any other way. You play your class and i will play mine.

Other then that did you really expect Trion to get anything in shape for 1.7? C'mon witrh their history you should know by now that it's going to be another shift in favor of a class or two for about 3 months and then some small fixes in between and then another awesome major patch to keep folks interested and hopeful. This is why I stay with my chloro. Even if they nerf it into the ground I'll find a way to still be effective. So it's looking like it's made it's full swing as far as nerfs back to dps warriors lol. Good stuff imo. I still like the game with all its nerfs,patches and adjustments. Question is when GW2 comes out will this game become free to play or fade away?

Quote Originally Posted by Easby View Post
    I'm not sure if that makes up for it....
    sure it gets tempest in place of overload. and intensify elements on cd.
    but outside of that it loses lightning burst (although lightning strike isn't bad), and still the 15% on archmage, plus about 20% on water dmg from point shifts on stretch of cold- which mainly concerns its stdps. Ele doesn't offer much in terms of usable defenses as well even though archmage only had a few things.

The loss of dmg is going to be a hit to a lot of the specs that relied on archmage I think (lock, pyro, sc, chloro) Although I still think the major issue with mage atm is its lack of defensive options outside of dominator.
    Last edited by Inixia; 01-27-2012 at 02:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread