+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: bad time for a nerf?

Default bad time for a nerf?

Balancing is always issues in MMO's.

So the mage calling is getting "adjusted" mainly pointed at the top end DPSers.

With other callings being buffed doesn't it seem untimely for a nerf? Just comparing parses with similar gear/buffs it seems mages will be behind the warriors/rogues with a more difficult rotation . I understand we have no idea how this plays out in raid buffs.

Anyways here would be my suggestion Kervik....rather then releasing the warlock crystal changes now...release it with a hotfix after 1.7 if it is still needed. Im sure plenty of info will be out in the time of 1 reset on how the callings compare with DPS. If you make this aware to teh part of the community who constantly QQ's about the gap between mages and the 2nd DPS calling im sure they would understand. This is a simple enough change and im sure you would save alot more MAGERAGE if you wait a little while and evaluate where the other callings are at DPS wise. (in a raid setup)
    Last edited by Berzz; 01-26-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Plane Touched

Once again they still haven't addressed why they changed the warlock crystal. There has been basically zero discussion with our mage class lead as far as I can see besides "bug" changes. I just don't understand the warlock crystal atm on the pts. Can we please get some communication about what direction the mage class is going now in pve content.
    Last edited by DiabolicWeapon; 01-26-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Voodoo (US-Defiant, world 1st Akylios) is currently seeking exceptional rogue and mage applicants. Please check our recruitment thread for more information.

^ yeah word. I just don't know why it has to be released with 1.7? Would make sense to me to see where other calling DPS buffs fit in the large gap.

Plane Touched

One thing that I would like to see trion implement is doing class testing just like they do with raid testing. Tons of the players in 11/11 guilds know their class very well and I'm sure would be willing to test changes for their respective roles. Just tell us what you want us to do! You could create a simple checklist of what needs to be tested and what results to post. I'm sure a slough of people would get it done and you would have plenty of information to wade through. This would create a better gaming experience for both trion and the players in my opinion.

Voodoo (US-Defiant, world 1st Akylios) is currently seeking exceptional rogue and mage applicants. Please check our recruitment thread for more information.

lgw

Quote Originally Posted by DiabolicWeapon View Post
    One thing that I would like to see trion implement is doing class testing just like they do with raid testing. Tons of the players in 11/11 guilds know their class very well and I'm sure would be willing to test changes for their respective roles. Just tell us what you want us to do! You could create a simple checklist of what needs to be tested and what results to post. I'm sure a slough of people would get it done and you would have plenty of information to wade through. This would create a better gaming experience for both trion and the players in my opinion.
    Truth.
    But (semi) professional Q&A is some of the most important yet least done things in about any industrie.

Rift Disciple

They have openly said that 1.7 is more to do with setting things up for 1.8. nerfing lock crystal now might be due to content and changes being implemented next patch that potentialy will make the buffs a bit too extreme.

Personally and as a Rift player, it would be more ideal for there to be a level of feedback to the community to say "hey guys, its something than needs to be brought in line due to potentials X reasoning"

They're probably nerfing it because pyrolock spec makes all other mage specs obsolete? And crushes other callings on most fights too? It seems pretty obvious.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Relair View Post
    They're probably nerfing it because pyrolock spec makes all other mage specs obsolete? And crushes other callings on most fights too? It seems pretty obvious.
    The pyro/lock spec is only #1 ST dps it crushes only ST dps, for AoE SC is still better and for fights with more target swtiching the 36 pyro / 30 lock spec is better. With the changes there will be little reason to use the defile spec as the 36 pyro spec will be close to the dps but provide far better AoE and its more versitiale so basically now only 1 spec will be viable in raids.

Will smith best rapper 2013 #SWAG

RIFT Guide Writer

I would be 100% OK with them changing the Warlock crystal if it made 51 lock a raid-worthy spec.

IMO, some kind of Warlock spec should be top ST dps, for all the same reasons that defilemancer was -- it brings no AE and its bad at target switching.

It seems fairly obvious what needs to be fixed for this to happen, too -- fix ED so it can actually be used with Defile.

Plane Touched

Reducing the cooldown of empowered darkness seem fairly NOT obvious to me.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by DiabolicWeapon View Post
    Reducing the cooldown of empowered darkness seem fairly NOT obvious to me.
    Maybe not that specifically, but its pretty obvious that ED isn't useful as it stands, and making it useful would be a big boost to Warlock.

I think "Buffing ED" <-- lol...was used to dull the knife that stabbed the warlock crystal in the heart. Warlock is still not optimal in ST dps, or AOE dps!!!

Agree 100% with player based DPS testing. I remember in the bluedots interview Kervik was rather suprised at what the mage community came up with in attempt do do competitive ST DPS ...known as the "Building Storm" rotation. Player based testing would reduce these surprises :P

Everyone always gets bitter about nerfs, but I won't justify this nerf if it causes mages to pull behind the other ST DPSer callings. ESPECIALLY when we have:
    1) no AOE...
    2) horrible target switching
    3) rather difficult rotation (In comparison to other callings)

Quote Originally Posted by Berzz View Post
    I think "Buffing ED" <-- lol...was used to dull the knife that stabbed the warlock crystal in the heart. Warlock is still not optimal in ST dps, or AOE dps!!!

Agree 100% with player based DPS testing. I remember in the bluedots interview Kervik was rather suprised at what the mage community came up with in attempt do do competitive ST DPS ...known as the "Building Storm" rotation. Player based testing would reduce these surprises :P

Everyone always gets bitter about nerfs, but I won't justify this nerf if it causes mages to pull behind the other ST DPSer callings. ESPECIALLY when we have:
    1) no AOE...
    2) horrible target switching
    3) rather difficult rotation (In comparison to other callings)
    Oh god I remember that. I was blown away when he said their Developers thought it was too hard, even for them to do.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Relair View Post
    LoL don;t think so.

Trion saw a 5k Parse (One Boss) and said OMG WTH HAXORS. and nerfed us.
    Last edited by Pooshonmyshoos; 01-27-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    Pooshonmyshoos - 60 Mage <Damaged PvPness>
    Imafkdisbich - 60 Warrior <Damaged PvPness>

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pooshonmyshoos View Post
    LoL don;t think so.

Trion saw a 5k Parse (One Boss) and said OMG WTH HAXORS. and nerfed us.
    and rightfully so, you deserved to get nerfed
    Last edited by Vindicit; 01-27-2012 at 01:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast