+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By pkudude

Thread: Mage leveling spec?

Default Mage leveling spec?

Hi all, i just returned to rift.

Can you guys recommend me a good build for questing 1-50?

Chloro till aoe spores, rest into warlock, and pull packs with it.

I'd put some points into warlock to get sacrifice life - mana and the other that uses charge to restore health.

I went 1-50 w\ a stormcaller/warlock build. Worked pretty good. When I had more points to work with, I made a build that was chloro heavy w\ some dmg in there.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

I'm finding that I'm absolutely loving Elementalist X /Necromancer 16 / Archon 0. It doesn't sound like it synergizes, but the Ele still does pretty decent dps and the Soul Purge keeps you and your pet topped off. I've soloed +2 level elites with it, I can completely close rifts including the final bosses by myself.

Downside is that it's not very good on AE. It's ok at it between Grave Rot and Burning Ground, but not really good.

Keep the Archon buffs from Pillaging Stone and Searing Vitality up on yourself and just cast them every few minutes to sustain them, otherwise it's just a case of Lightning Strike -> Crystalline Missiles -> Icy Carapace (which has no travel time so the CM detonates it on hit) -> Soul Purge and the thing's dead, you and your pet are at full health and you move on. You can toss an Ignite in there before Soul Purge to buff the pet's crit chance if you want, but it's really not necessary on solo mobs.

I was in a rift today with a couple of chlorlocks (all of us in our low 30's) and I was killing mobs more than 2x as fast as they were while maintaining full health on me and my pet.

Other than the Soul Purge, there's no synergy at all, yet it just works.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by pkudude View Post
    I'm finding that I'm absolutely loving Elementalist X /Necromancer 16 / Archon 0. It doesn't sound like it synergizes, but the Ele still does pretty decent dps and the Soul Purge keeps you and your pet topped off. I've soloed +2 level elites with it, I can completely close rifts including the final bosses by myself.

Downside is that it's not very good on AE. It's ok at it between Grave Rot and Burning Ground, but not really good.

Keep the Archon buffs from Pillaging Stone and Searing Vitality up on yourself and just cast them every few minutes to sustain them, otherwise it's just a case of Lightning Strike -> Crystalline Missiles -> Icy Carapace (which has no travel time so the CM detonates it on hit) -> Soul Purge and the thing's dead, you and your pet are at full health and you move on. You can toss an Ignite in there before Soul Purge to buff the pet's crit chance if you want, but it's really not necessary on solo mobs.

I was in a rift today with a couple of chlorlocks (all of us in our low 30's) and I was killing mobs more than 2x as fast as they were while maintaining full health on me and my pet.

Thanks for the hint. I played 44 ele, 6 dom, 16 chloro.

Yesterday i tried what you suggested and its a blast. Its efficient and fun. I have lowbe green/blue gear and did farm Stillmoore and soloed a chronicle with it. The ele/chloro suffers on multimob encounters. The EleNecro has much less problems.

I dont use archon, but chloro though.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...Ex0k0gkiz.xdIb

There is room for minor changes as long the build has Synergize and Soul Purge. The good stuff are the three 8-target AE and the four instant damage spells. Three of them DoTs.
    Last edited by drums; 12-01-2011 at 10:40 PM.

http://bluedots.org/2011/04/30/mage-leveling-specs/

I ignored their guide until Lv20 when I went with their specs for Healer and Elemental builds as I was leveling Elemental already. Necro/Lock is fun to play, though, and the survivability is nice.

Rift Disciple

Default Just did it yesterday

Dude I just reset my soul points yesterday and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I'm level 37. I just put 26 points on Necro to get the tanking pet, and almost everything else on Warlock. Now my strategy is to give Pyro some love, and I'll be ready to go...

I previously had all my points on Walock and a few distributed evenly between Necro and Pyro, but I needed a better pet.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by pkudude View Post

I'm only 38 atm, but I can solo elites a little easier with Necro/Lock. I keep Necro maxed and the others go into Warlock, although I might change that soon. I have no AoE, but I just couldn't get enough charge to keep Soul Purge going to keep my pet alive with that elemental build. That also meant I could pull a few more DPS out of the necro build. The "Rotation" for Necro is a bit easier too, I believe. Although neither is particularly tough. The extra charge building from Warlock, plus the +15 charge of Plague bolt does it for me. I haven't tried any Chloro builds. I hate mage healing (coming from a cleric main) and I'd rather just pretend Chloro didn't exist <.<

Shadowlander

Chloro/arch is a good leveling spec. Get an ele pet. That should suit you until mid 30s.

Plane Walker

PyroEle you might want to try. Who cares if it sucks its fire! I levelled with it just fine

+ Reply to Thread