+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Noob Question....Warlock help.

Telaran

Default Noob Question....Warlock help.

I give up.
    I've tired different builds and i just don't understand the best use of my warlock. I've always loved warlocks but in this game my healing is not high enough or my DPS is not high enough.. no one is ever happy!! I have tried to gear myself out to t1 but it's still not good enough my spell power is 800 and my focs is 130 (i know it's low).... Maybe i'm just not understanding builds or maybe I just don't know how the game works... I am still new to level 50 so I was wondering what some of the best builds for lock's are?

so far i have my main (who does a pretty good job coming in 2ed place in DPS and keeps people alive via support) Chlro20/Lock/44/Arcon2 and my "DPS" is archon15/Necro0/lock 51

what am I doing wrong?

I recommend starting here: http://bluedots.org/2011/04/30/end-game-mage-pve-guide/

That will give you an introduction to the most common DPS specs. Once you learn the basics you can work on improving the builds to meet your group composition or the encounter you are working on.

Telaran

*sigh*

I just want to enjoy the game with out having to read a manual or without someone saying how much my toon sucks, Yes I know some random 12 year old is always going to preach on and on about how "L33t" they are but it seems all I get is "i'm not good enough".

Frankly, i've been playing mmo's since 98' and never have I met such "Elite" players in all my years of playing. It makes the game enjoyably when you work hard on a toon just to have some ****** behind a keybored scream at you because your not doing "your job" when really I have no idea what my "job" is - I know I can heal, AOE and do DPS but it seems to be NEVER enough. I love this game, the graphics and (at times) play style but I don't want to feel unimportant which me and my friends do feel like at times because we can't find the right build.

I don't want a flame war and don't want to seem like i'm just some *****y person i am just putting my two plat in.

Soulwalker

I think Chloro/Lock is great for Solo leveling. It used to be decent at pvp and its
    great as a fun spec running around closing rifts and battling invasions.
    I would not, however, call it a top dps combo. I think the bluedots guide is
    a great start... if I am not mistaken Necro/Lock combo may be what you want
    to experiment with.

You've been shown a path to walk that will improve your character by one of the mage communities' most knowledgeable leaders. What more could you possibly want? Nothing was ever worth having that didn't require some work to get.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Armondpb View Post
    *sigh*

I just want to enjoy the game with out having to read a manual or without someone saying how much my toon sucks, Yes I know some random 12 year old is always going to preach on and on about how "L33t" they are but it seems all I get is "i'm not good enough".

Frankly, i've been playing mmo's since 98' and never have I met such "Elite" players in all my years of playing. It makes the game enjoyably when you work hard on a toon just to have some ****** behind a keybored scream at you because your not doing "your job" when really I have no idea what my "job" is - I know I can heal, AOE and do DPS but it seems to be NEVER enough. I love this game, the graphics and (at times) play style but I don't want to feel unimportant which me and my friends do feel like at times because we can't find the right build.

I don't want a flame war and don't want to seem like i'm just some *****y person i am just putting my two plat in.
    I'm not sure I understand what your asking then. I'm honestly not trying to flame you but if you genuinely want to know how to better play a warlock or what may be causing you not to perform as high as you feel like you should why wouldn't you be willing to read up on the topic and learn how to play that particular role better? I mean someone can post the same information here but you'd still have to read it and get to understand your class and role a little better. If you asking to be allowed to play the fun way and not have to deal with people calling you out for under performing what is sort of the normal level for your chosen role i'm not sure there is an easy answer to that. Maybe an RP situation where the group is more interested in immersion than performance? Or maybe I just misunderstand your request. You don't have to be a min maxer by any means, but reading up on the topic will only help you improve and become a better player that people want to play with more often.

As for the elite players I can only assume you never played endgame in most of the other MMO's. The eliteism that is present in WoW makes even the most hardcore raiders in Rift look like bunny rabbits.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Zorel1 View Post
    I think Chloro/Lock is great for Solo leveling. It used to be decent at pvp and its
    great as a fun spec running around closing rifts and battling invasions.
    I would not, however, call it a top dps combo. I think the bluedots guide is
    a great start... if I am not mistaken Necro/Lock combo may be what you want
    to experiment with.
    Yeah I was thinking of playing with Nerco/Lock i'm just not very fond of playing a "pet class" and yes, in pvp it was fun but now I switched to lock/chloro/pvp and it's fun but i have seen a nurf I thought It was just my imagination lol

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Helliert View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what your asking then. I'm honestly not trying to flame you but if you genuinely want to know how to better play a warlock or what may be causing you not to perform as high as you feel like you should why wouldn't you be willing to read up on the topic and learn how to play that particular role better? I mean someone can post the same information here but you'd still have to read it and get to understand your class and role a little better. If you asking to be allowed to play the fun way and not have to deal with people calling you out for under performing what is sort of the normal level for your chosen role i'm not sure there is an easy answer to that. Maybe an RP situation where the group is more interested in immersion than performance? Or maybe I just misunderstand your request. You don't have to be a min maxer by any means, but reading up on the topic will only help you improve and become a better player that people want to play with more often.

As for the elite players I can only assume you never played endgame in most of the other MMO's. The eliteism that is present in WoW makes even the most hardcore raiders in Rift look like bunny rabbits.
    I have never played WoW... Okay that's a lie, I played it for 20min and said "Eh...No..." and uninstalled. What I don't think i am understanding in this game is; You have "endless possibilities as a mage yet you are only good if you use x - y - z build" is that it? The whole system seems to be overwhelming I guess for someone who does not have alot of time to invest into a game.
    A better question I guess would be; Does it really matter what build you play?

I have not played a mmo since wow came out and I guess things and players have changed....*eats bitter grapes*

Ascendant

so you want to be good but not put in any time. good luck with that.

Rift Disciple

I have never played WoW... Okay that's a lie, I played it for 20min and said "Eh...No..." and uninstalled. What I don't think i am understanding in this game is; You have "endless possibilities as a mage yet you are only good if you use x - y - z build" is that it? The whole system seems to be overwhelming I guess for someone who does not have alot of time to invest into a game.
    A better question I guess would be; Does it really matter what build you play?

I have not played a mmo since wow came out and I guess things and players have changed....*eats bitter grapes*
    As with any game depending on the situation and the player, yes certain some builds will be better than others. But they can all be played to varying degrees of success so my suggestion is pick one that you like playing and then research that particular role. Noone is saying read a novel but understand the base mechanics of being a mage and then the details of the particular role you want to play. Unelss your raiding in HK its less likely for someone to call you out for 50-100 less dps than 2 or 300 simply because your spec or rotation may be off to be the best (warlock/chloro/necro/whatever spec) you can be.

Shield of Telara

You have "endless possibilities as a mage yet you are only good if you use x - y - z build" is that it?
    Bingo. In PvE There are 3 viable DPS builds, 2 healing builds, and 1 support build. Since you sound you want a bit of variation I suggest necro/lock for DPS. TBH it's pretty subpar, but you have some choices are far as point distribution, the most popular being 38lock/28necro or at least 31 necro and the rest into lock(lich form being the goal here). It's still fairly cookie cutter, but at least you get some variation as opposed to pyro or stormcaller where regardless if you go 34/32 or 35/31 the rotation/playstyle is the same.

PvP you are stuck with a similar amount of builds, however when you reach rank 8 you can really start to mess around with builds and have some fun with them.

XiL

I know I can heal, AOE and do DPS but it seems to be NEVER enough.
    By ignoring greendot's attempt to solicit donations, you have taken the first steps towards being good at mage.

The next step is to spend some time playing with a mentor of some kind in game. Just like back in the late 90's early 2k. There are a handful of acceptable mage on every server. Find one and play with them. Talk to them about how they are playing mage. Whats specs they use, what spells they assign priority to and why. Multilayer games are for socializing.

Then start practicing and tweaking until you figure it out.

Beyond that it Rift is a mass market focused game. Its not grandad's MMO and any sense of that original MMO feeling in the industry has long died.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by XiL View Post
    By ignoring greendot's attempt to solicit donations, you have taken the first steps towards being good at mage.
    I don't quite get what you're getting at with this statement. I've been using Bluedot's roles/specs for months, on 3 different characters, and not once was I asked to donate anything - not even remotely close to it.

I find his website refreshing in that it gives new players the role/specs, rotations, and macros - all for free. And, on top of that, you can ask questions that he'll answer usually within a day or two at the most.

OP: Unless something has changed in the past month or so, I would advise OP to go to that website and use it to the max. Yes, you build your own specs/roles and put points where you want - after all you're paying for the right to play however you want - just realize that Bluedot, and other players that publish builds/roles, rotations, and macros, are so knowledgeable that their data/information is really the best builds/specs/roles you can use.

Not using a "cookie cutter" role/spec leaves you open to low dps, and that unsatisfied feeling that you could do better. Oh, you already have that.

Please read carefully through all the posts, there's lots of good info, but you have to be willing to put in the time and do the reading and such. Maybe, MMOs are not for you. Which is not a bad thing - MMOs are not for everyone.

Good luck.

R

XiL

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor7 View Post
    I don't quite get what you're getting at with this statement. I've been using Bluedot's roles/specs for months, on 3 different characters, and not once was I asked to donate anything - not even remotely close to it.
    So you missed the giant "please donate for cool stuff advertisement at the top of every page?" Maybe see an eye doctor?
    I find his website refreshing in that it gives new players the role/specs, rotations, and macros - all for free. And, on top of that, you can ask questions that he'll answer usually within a day or two at the most.
    Answers are easy. Accurate information however does not tend to come from Greendot. It usually is copy pasted from other people here on the forums and greendot just claims he came up with them.

OP: Unless something has changed in the past month or so, I would advise OP to go to that website and use it to the max. Yes, you build your own specs/roles and put points where you want - after all you're paying for the right to play however you want - just realize that Bluedot, and other players that publish builds/roles, rotations, and macros, are so knowledgeable that their data/information is really the best builds/specs/roles you can use.
    This is 100% false greendot has never and will never create a single top tier competitive mage spec or rotation. He takes everything second hand,or third... can you get something third hand?, and most of the information he chooses to steal from others is wrong.

Don't encourage donation scams and the spread of false information.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

Quote Originally Posted by XiL View Post
    So you missed the giant "please donate for cool stuff advertisement at the top of every page?" Maybe see an eye doctor?
    Answers are easy. Accurate information however does not tend to come from Greendot. It usually is copy pasted from other people here on the forums and greendot just claims he came up with them.

This is 100% false greendot has never and will never create a single top tier competitive mage spec or rotation. He takes everything second hand,or third... can you get something third hand?, and most of the information he chooses to steal from others is wrong.

Don't encourage donation scams and the spread of false information.
    Not sure if I should be offended or flattered that you spend so much time talking about me.
    I am amazed at how long you have been able to maintain this crusade. Couple more months and you'll rival Richard himself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast