+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Archon Feedback: duration, buffs, cooldown, mismatch

Default Archon Feedback: duration, buffs, cooldown, mismatch

Greetings Rift players (and hopefully a dev or two)

I have recently been looking at the Archon soul and today I made an Archon build. I really like the whole idea behind the class and I enjoyed the few hours I've had with it.

But one thing struck me as kind of odd.
    There are a few attack spells that provide a short duration buff, but the duration doesn't match the cooldown. I see similar abilities, even from other classes, which of most have matching duration and cooldown.

I am talking about Surging Flare and Volcanic Bomb.
    These all have a lower buff duration than they have cooldown. I figured that either this is meant to be, which I would find odd, or it is something the developers have overlooked or missed.
    The class would feel more complete and par with the mechanics of similar abilities if they would have a duration which fit the cooldown.
    Also Lava Field is a little off. I would find it much more rewarding as a player if I could keep that buff up full time on longer fights. Gaps in duration of such things makes the class appear overlooked or crudely designed in my eyes.
    The short duration of the other Archon buffs, I don't mind.

If the duration matched, and the buffs became "permanent" (if you could manage to keep them up all the time), it would increase the utility of the Archon, but I'd rather have the effect tweaked for balance than having somewhat random up-times on my buffs.

Any thought about why the duration and cooldown doesn't match for Surging Flare, Volcanic Bomb and Lava Field?
    Any similar feedback?

Short Version - Make the cooldown and duration match for Surging Flare, Volcanic Bomb and Lava Field, then I would be a happy camper!
    Last edited by Blubber; 10-15-2011 at 05:49 PM.

One thing I would like to add. A small elaboration on my thoughts.
    When abilities have shorter duration than their cooldown, they are usually powerful and situational abilities.
    A 6 or 10 second duration with a 10 or 15 second cooldown doesn't fit the "situational ability" scheme.
    Lava field is somewhat powerful, but I don't feel it's enough for it to be a truely situational spell. That added with the slow buildup of stacks and 1 minute uptime / 30 downtime, makes it even less so.
    Last edited by Blubber; 10-15-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Prophet of Telara

That's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzin View Post
    That's just the way it is.
    Hehe, that's a very constructive answer :P

The point of feedback is to tell what you think about something, good or bad. Maybe some ideas on how it could be better. I tried that here. Nothing gets better if you just accept things as they are

I hope I will have more feedback on the Archon today. Actually I already got some.

It's about Ashen Defenses and Crumbling Resistance. I noticed that the bard has similar abilities to increase damage taken by enemies. Both the Bards abilities are AoE, the Archons are single target. I personally think this is fine if the Archon has more to offer in other areas (I haven't played both that much, so I can't really compare the classes as a whole yet).
    Should the Archon debuffs for damage taken be AoE like the Bards, what do you think ?

Also Rock Slide! The spell feels tedious, it's just something you want to get over so you can get the buffs out of it. I would suggest reworking the spell to make it feel powerful and important.
    The spell is channeled and has a 30 sec cooldown, it doesn't do much damage and the graphics are a little boring.
    My first suggestions would to make it AoE, increase its damage or add some powerfull debuff on the target. As well as making it look a little more awesome.
    Any good ides for this out there ?

Ascendant

surging flare + burning purpose + waning power + volcanic bomb with 100% uptime would be completely OP for any mage-stacked raid.
    lava field is just lol.
    Last edited by Ruizo; 10-16-2011 at 04:41 AM.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Earthen Barrage used to have a similar thing going on, with a 30s cooldown and 10s uptime or something, until they realized raids were stacking 3 mages specced into it to have 100% uptime anyway. Surging Flare should be 100% instead of 60%, and Lava Field just need to be looked at.
    Last edited by Deistik; 10-16-2011 at 06:07 AM.
    <Disturbance> @Vigil
    Had a dream, I was King; I woke up, still King.
    Wizards never die.

Would you not rather have 100% up-time with a smaller effect, than a huge effect with a very small duration, we are taking 4 and 5 seconds longer here, I don't think that can be considered overpowered, just more solid.

And if raids are stacking tightly specced mages for 100% uptime anyways, I think the game would gain something by needing only to have one and leave the two others with more freedom.
    Last edited by Blubber; 10-16-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Champion

Lava field is no laughing matter Ruizo, the fact that you 'lol' at Lava field shows you don't know anything about it.
    You don't use it necissarilly for the AoE DMG, you also use it... ON YOUR TANK as they recieve MORE HEALING!
    Insane right? I mean why would a Utility Suport class not have another Dual Purpose AoE? Kinda like our Cleansing Flames, that also debuffs enemies that very few people remember we actually GOT.

Yes, I'd like to see an increased duration of Lava Field, people move around to much in raids for it to be 'too' useful as it is, and a longer duration or shorter CD it would make it better. increased dmg isn't going to do anything, but a larger AoE radius woudl be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDeath View Post
    Lava field is no laughing matter Ruizo, the fact that you 'lol' at Lava field shows you don't know anything about it.
    You don't use it necissarilly for the AoE DMG, you also use it... ON YOUR TANK as they recieve MORE HEALING!
    Insane right? I mean why would a Utility Suport class not have another Dual Purpose AoE? Kinda like our Cleansing Flames, that also debuffs enemies that very few people remember we actually GOT.

Yes, I'd like to see an increased duration of Lava Field, people move around to much in raids for it to be 'too' useful as it is, and a longer duration or shorter CD it would make it better. increased dmg isn't going to do anything, but a larger AoE radius woudl be awesome.
    I am always throwing lave field on the melee when its on cool down..a shorter c/d would be nice

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDeath View Post
    did you actually use it? 5 stack, 1% healing increase each, anything considered an heal will strip one stack, even a single hot tick and the stacks will disappear in 6 seconds so you cant even use it as a pre-pull buff.
    you really waste a gcd on this?
    Last edited by Ruizo; 10-16-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Telaran

The only thing i'd really like to see changed with Archon is lowering the cooldown on Lava Field to 30 seconds and the buff part not be affected by lesser heals like reparation or withering vines.

Efficiency could also be changed to increase the duration of Archon auras by 10% per level (auras would last 7.5 min) because it's 100% useless at the moment. all souls have useless talents so i'm semi ok with it.

Past that, Archon is one of the most balanced souls in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizo View Post
    did you actually use it? 5 stack, 1% healing increase each, anything considered an heal will strip one stack, even a single hot tick and the stacks will disappear in 6 seconds so you cant even use it as a pre-pull buff.
    you really waste a gcd on this?
    It is actually 3% per stack with the increase from the soul tree and it lasts one minute.

So I get the feeling people are more concerned about Lava Field than the other abilities I have mentioned in my posts. I can see why, as it is a big boost for healing if used right.

So this is what I would like to see in a patch regarding the Archon.
    Make Surging Flare and Volcanic Bomb have durations matching their cooldown.
    Make Lava Field more flexible (maybe by decreasing cooldown).
    Buff Rock Slide so it actually feels useful and rewarding to use.

And I guess Ashen Defenses and Crumbling Resistance stay the way they are.
    Last edited by Blubber; 10-16-2011 at 10:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread