+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Whats the point in playing a mage anymore?

  1. #1
    Plane Walker H3artless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    401

    Default Whats the point in playing a mage anymore?

    Seriously whats the point? I think even clerics have higher damage then mages now. They really can't heal that well. They're near useless in pvp now.

    Whats really the point in playing a mage at all? Seems like there is no real benefit at all. It's aggravating to need spec chloro just to live in pvp, but do next to no damage at all. Yet a rogue can be full damage and still be able to heal themselves.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Primalthirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,832

    Default

    Because you enjoy it.

    I've given up campaigning for PvP because everyone seems to consider Mages OP already since they don't know how to move out of Devouring Shadows.

    My current project: Mage Tanking Soul!
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 10-15-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    Nope.

  3. #3
    Rift Master IonCannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Because you enjoy it.
    Thats all that needs to be said. There is also a sort of fulfillment that comes from being good while being the underdog.

  4. #4
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Can't heal well? You must be kidding...

  5. #5
    Plane Walker H3artless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    401

    Default

    I hate chloro healing. It would be loads easier if I had warhammers targeting system. but it's just a pain to find someone dot them up and start attacking them to heal. Cause most of the time people die before I get my dots off and I end up healing nobody.

  6. #6
    Ascendant lol r u mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,867

    Default

    http://i.imgur.com/nEnKk.jpg

    That maybe, or this is a good reason

    http://i.imgur.com/i68OF.jpg

    pretty much the only thing that can even touch me in pvp anymore is another, really good mage

    http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    i have loads of fun playin pyro/am and pyro/dom in pvp. you don't need to spec chloro to live.

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    386

    Default

    51 WL still destroys everything in it's path, but the nerf to it is eminent. To be completely honest I hadn't been playing it at all for weeks, knowing that I'd have to spec into something else anyway, might as well be ready right? Then 1.5 hit and my other specs, SC for example, were getting constantly ganked and overrun by the huge excess of Rogues, and I felt like it was almost manditory to spec into a build with some survivablity. So it was back to 51 WL, and I will continue to play it until it's nerfed or Rogues are brought back in line with everyone else. And when I see the other team /yelling "OMG, SPAM DS, YOU'RE SO BAD, L2P N00B" I just smile and <3 them as they die.
    Saved@Briarcliff
    I play a Mage, just throwing it out there.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Sorovos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lmprov View Post
    51 WL still destroys everything in it's path, but the nerf to it is eminent. To be completely honest I hadn't been playing it at all for weeks, knowing that I'd have to spec into something else anyway, might as well be ready right? Then 1.5 hit and my other specs, SC for example, were getting constantly ganked and overrun by the huge excess of Rogues, and I felt like it was almost manditory to spec into a build with some survivablity. So it was back to 51 WL, and I will continue to play it until it's nerfed or Rogues are brought back in line with everyone else. And when I see the other team /yelling "OMG, SPAM DS, YOU'RE SO BAD, L2P N00B" I just smile and <3 them as they die.
    Spec 44 Necro, Hunt Marksman all day..

    Though a lot of them are switching over to NB/RS build *grin*

    Not much you can do about that.
    Xsorus - Rank 8 Mage/Server Seastone/Guardian/Guild - Desolate

  10. #10
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lmprov View Post
    51 WL still destroys everything in it's path, but the nerf to it is eminent. To be completely honest I hadn't been playing it at all for weeks, knowing that I'd have to spec into something else anyway, might as well be ready right? Then 1.5 hit and my other specs, SC for example, were getting constantly ganked and overrun by the huge excess of Rogues, and I felt like it was almost manditory to spec into a build with some survivablity. So it was back to 51 WL, and I will continue to play it until it's nerfed or Rogues are brought back in line with everyone else. And when I see the other team /yelling "OMG, SPAM DS, YOU'RE SO BAD, L2P N00B" I just smile and <3 them as they die.
    QFT

    The point of playing a mage is to **** in PvP.

    51 Lock is a demigod. I have 8.6k HP selfbuffed, got 2 survivability CDs, spammable AOE that can hit up to 1.6k (full Valor) or 2.7k (no valor), instant Drain Bolt hitting for 3k (no valor target) ect.

    High AOE, ST dmg, mobility, high HP and defensive CDs. I hope this spec gets nerfed because it`s getting pretty boring. I still play it though because it`s just the best so why should I gimp myself ?
    Last edited by Lokken`; 10-15-2011 at 03:58 PM.

  11. #11
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokken` View Post
    QFT

    The point of playing a mage is to **** in PvP.

    51 Lock is a demigod. I have 8.6k HP selfbuffed, got 2 survivability CDs, spammable AOE that can hit up to 1.6k (full Valor) or 2.7k (no valor), instant Drain Bolt hitting for 3k (no valor target) ect.

    High AOE, ST dmg, mobility, high HP and defensive CDs. I hope this spec gets nerfed because it`s getting pretty boring. I still play it though because it`s just the best so why should I gimp myself ?
    why "gimp" yourself? you answered your own question^

  12. #12
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lochs View Post
    why "gimp" yourself? you answered your own question^
    English isn`t my native language so I might have written it wrong. I meant that I`m gimping myself by not playing a full Lock in PvP.

  13. #13
    Champion Rift Stinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    528

    Default

    i love the warlock soul

    its weakness is clear tho..

    offensive all our dots are dispellable..
    defensively all our buffs and survival cd's are dispellable..

    and comparitvely inquisitors blow us away in dmg unless we go a dedicated 51lock/15 am which we hav no self heals

  14. #14
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    The Mage class, allows the other classes feel good about themselves. Think of it this way ... the majority of players loves the fact that their class is much better than Mages.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

  15. #15
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorovos View Post
    Spec 44 Necro, Hunt Marksman all day..

    Though a lot of them are switching over to NB/RS build *grin*

    Not much you can do about that.
    As a 51 WL I doubt I could stand toe-to-toe with any R8 NB / RS. I can however AoE, kill his entire team, and laugh as he burns every CD trying to stay alive with 10 people attacking him.

    I guess there is counters after all =D
    Last edited by lmprov; 10-15-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    Saved@Briarcliff
    I play a Mage, just throwing it out there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts