+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: @Dominators in PvP

Rift Master

Default @Dominators in PvP

Where are you?

I seriously begin to think you guys have forgotten about this spec.

Mages, whether lock or chloro, as seems to be that case, I quite enjoy facing in PvP. But when one decides to be a Dom, I desire full scale no bars murder on each one of you and your children and your childrens children!

Strangely, it doesn't seem to happen enough. I might find one every 6th warfront, if I'm lucky. Point I'm making here, is doms are incredibly disruptive and scary mo-fo's. IF we have a marker, they are often tagged as kill target No. 1. Why don't I see more of them?

Endnote, if you do take my advise, please don't be guardian! Enemy Doms make me cry.

Rift Chaser

most ppl play what others tell them is great so everyone is playing warlock or chloro/lock. I myself enjoy the dom/chloro it is a hell of a lot of fun

Rift Chaser

Pyro / Dom and Chloro / Dom are about the only forms of Dominator you will see in PvP these days, and even those are few and far between from what I've experienced. Hardly anyone plays 51 Dom after the nerfs, but Dominator is still an amazing tree. It is also, however, difficult to learn, and can be clunky to play, which I think turns people off a bit.
    Last edited by lmprov; 10-12-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    Saved@Briarcliff
    I play a Mage, just throwing it out there.

Default Oh, hai

Almost every time, the rest of my team demands Chlorolock, which is hard to resist sometimes, since it's so damned easy to spam DoT AoEs and (sucky) heals, then use Mortality for the lulz.

If I think no one will mind, then I will go 51 Dminator.

51 Dom is my main role. I am very squishy though. If the group is disorganized and/or there are no healers, I die in about 8 seconds once I get marked and focus fired.

Sometimes I try to hide while casting my AoE CC spells, but then I get yelled at for "not being with the rest of the team!".

Sometimes I run into the middle of the other team, drop as many AoE CCs as I can before I get killed, hoping that provides an opening my team can take advantage of, but usually no one is paying attention and its for nothing.

Sometimes I squirrel enemy healers or other Dominators, but them my team just attacks the squirrels wasting my time and ability.

Rarely do I find a good enough team that will keep me safe while I CC from a distance, and almost always we win when this happens. Not only because of my awesome CCing, but because the team itself is good enough to stick together and work together.

I try, and I prefer 51 Dominator, but it's hard with pick up groups.

I ended up switching out of it after getting repeatedly teleport faceraped by Rogues without even proc'ing my storm shackle. It did ok when I'd rush Codex or Bridge or something and throw down some debuffs, but overall there's absolutely no survivability in the tree that I can find and there aren't any healers to be found either.

I'd really like to see someone playing a deep dominator spec correctly, because I obviously just don't Get It.

-Liang

Before 1.5 landed I was exclusively Pyro/Dom and I did very, very well, had some great fights and felt like I was bringing much needed utility AND I was always topping damage + KB charts. Then 1.5 happened and I'm forced to switch to Lock based builds for survivability because if I don't rogues (NB/RS builds) get me, so blame Trion for forcing mages to spec into Chloro & lock based builds!

Devouring Shadows is getting nerfed anyway so you *might* see a lot more Doms since we are running out of viable specs, Dom based one's might be all we have left :P

Anyway, why would we play Dom, like you said we are the number one target and there are less healers around to heal our squishy behinds.

Oh we're out there, we just sometimes have to deal with pressure from scoreboard worshippers to switch to something that doesn't have that dreaded little "support flag" icon. I played 51 Chloro for many many ranks and recently finally decided to try mixing in some Dom. Hands down the most fun I've ever had playing my Mage. I just keep tweaking it more and more to the Dom side, now I don't know how I could live without some of those tools. Granted I don't top the charts on heals anymore, but despite what those numbers say I know I'm making more of a "behind the scenes contribution". I think of my job as the same, I'm just more preventive rather than reactive now.

I think what I love about it is the very thing the OP mentioned. I enjoy making people foam at the mouth with hatred for me
    Ashrai@Deepwood
    Sporeslinger of <Godlike Awesomeness>

It would be nice if there was some metric which tracked Dominator type powers, such as "seconds controlling other players" or "spells reflected".

Not that I care about scoreboards really, I don't, but it's hard to gauge how well you are doing as a Dominator when the only stat we have is "Kills".

It really is terribly fun to dump all the AoE CCs in the middle of a mass of enemies, but rarely does anyone else on your team even realize you have done it. The only thing most people notice is Split Personality and maybe Storm Shackle.

I didn't mention Polymorph right now BECAUSE YOU PEOPLE KEEP HITTING THE SQUIRRELS FOR SOME REASON.

We've won warfronts because I've completely shut down enemy healers, I don't kill them I just leave them running around with empty blue bars That''s got to be more annoying right!?!?

The only time I switch to Dom these days is if I need to shut down a P8 mage, I'll drain them dry and make them have a nightmare so they don't single handedly wipe our team with ED + DS spammage, but no one notices

Shadowlander

Default the answer is

I didn't mention Polymorph right now BECAUSE YOU PEOPLE KEEP HITTING THE SQUIRRELS FOR SOME REASON.[/QUOTE]

The reason is simply squirrels are evil, they are furry over grown rats that keep stealing my nuts...ALL squirrels must die they are spies i tell you spies!!!!

puts his tinfoil hat back on and waves all calm like

lgw

I still play 51 Dom him when I have some time for it on my hands.
    8k HP, 10k Mana and 1.2k Valor (buffed) make him quite a f**k to deal with...
    Last edited by lgw; 10-12-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Quote Originally Posted by Windrider30 View Post
    I didn't mention Polymorph right now BECAUSE YOU PEOPLE KEEP HITTING THE SQUIRRELS FOR SOME REASON.

The reason is simply squirrels are evil, they are furry over grown rats that keep stealing my nuts...ALL squirrels must die they are spies i tell you spies!!!!

puts his tinfoil hat back on and waves all calm like
    hah... ok. Well, I'm not saying you can't kill my squirrels, just kill them last please!
    Last edited by FaySilkweb; 10-12-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by KarthosNZ View Post
    IF we have a marker, they are often tagged as kill target No. 1. Why don't I see more of them?
    Because they keep getting marked and killed?
    Dom's do take quite a bit of skill to master. They are no longer the faceroll spec post nerf, but are still very good. However, a 51 dom has relatively poor survivability.... hence everyone now mixes in chloro or lock or both just to stay alive. The state of rogues as they are makes it even worse.

aux

Because we rolled mages to BLOW STUFF UP.

Though Pyro/Dom does that reasonably well. Squirrelburst wheeee
    I'm so BORED

Rift Disciple

I play 51dom, chlorodom, pyrodom and archondom depending on what's happening. All builds have at least 32 dom in them (and that's just the pyrodom spec, the rest have 34).

However, I don't warfront (except occasional premades to help guildies gain rank). So you won't run into me unless you world PvP on Dayblind.
    Helgi - Win

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast