+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SirPent

Thread: Returning Mage.. questions.

Champion

Default Returning Mage.. questions.

Hello fellow Mages, Just returned to Rift after being caught up IRL for last couple of months, last time I played was just as the Asbeth (death) World Event ended. Anywho I've been slowly working along on my Necro/Chloro/Achron as I tend to solo PvE mainly (guildless, on at very odd times) and I seem to be doing OK, .. there in lies the problem. EXP seems to be going a tad slow, at Lvl 50 I'm lucky to get one full Planar Attunement level a day if I grind out dailies and do the Chronicles (cant for the life of me get past the Oracle in Green Blight chronicle.. damn wolves kill my pet faster than I can heal it).. It seems that everyone is pushing the Necro/Warlock combo and I've checked out Bluedots site however my gear is lacking and I'm using whatever I can get through quests/craft (250ish outfitter/300 Rune) and get off the AH at a reasonable price. I haven't dont much for real dungeons (Tier 1 I think it's called) and never been in a dugeon raid per say. so the questions... is it gear that is holding me back, is it my spec or just my playstyle ?? I've read umpteen pages of Necro/Lock threads and they seem to do really well, should I switch over ? I picked the Death Attunement will switching negatively impact me because of that choice ? Sorry for all the newb questions, trying to get back into the gist of things.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by SirPent View Post
    Hello fellow Mages, Just returned to Rift after being caught up IRL for last couple of months, last time I played was just as the Asbeth (death) World Event ended. Anywho I've been slowly working along on my Necro/Chloro/Achron as I tend to solo PvE mainly (guildless, on at very odd times) and I seem to be doing OK, .. there in lies the problem. EXP seems to be going a tad slow, at Lvl 50 I'm lucky to get one full Planar Attunement level a day if I grind out dailies and do the Chronicles (cant for the life of me get past the Oracle in Green Blight chronicle.. damn wolves kill my pet faster than I can heal it).. It seems that everyone is pushing the Necro/Warlock combo and I've checked out Bluedots site however my gear is lacking and I'm using whatever I can get through quests/craft (250ish outfitter/300 Rune) and get off the AH at a reasonable price. I haven't dont much for real dungeons (Tier 1 I think it's called) and never been in a dugeon raid per say. so the questions... is it gear that is holding me back, is it my spec or just my playstyle ?? I've read umpteen pages of Necro/Lock threads and they seem to do really well, should I switch over ? I picked the Death Attunement will switching negatively impact me because of that choice ? Sorry for all the newb questions, trying to get back into the gist of things.

Hi mate, and welcome back to Rift.

Firstly in regards to the Chronicles, Roll with Chloro/Ele with your Earth pet + Synthesis and your all set. This is how I do them and its a cake walk.

Planar Attunements are slightly a joke. They don't do anything overly special. I have grinded out 36 of them now and I truly don't see anything major about having a few extra stats etc. But doing your dailies, general questing, running dungeons etc all help in attaining them. 500K xp per one, is a task to do and most peeps that I know do average about 1 per day if they spend enough time on Rift that day.

Gear can make a major difference with your class, more int = more mana + spell power = more hitting power

I would recommend running some T1/T2 dungeons, obtain your Plaque of Achievements for running the dungeons and purchase your Plaque of Achievements gear from the vendor in the Inn back end of Sancumt or where ever he is in Meridian That alone will make quite a difference as well.

If your interested in checking out some raids, you will need to aquire atleast your Plaque of Achievements gear ( running T1/T2 get you your tokens) That way you should have enough Focus to be able to hit the mobs. T2 dungeons need 100 focus, Raid T1 need 200 focus, and Raid T2 needs 300 (320 recommended)

Hope this is a little helpful. I not sure what server your on, but if your on mine, welcome to look me up anytime for some dungeon running (T1/T2) I chill out running them for Planar Attunement XP.

Good luck on your adventures in Rift.

Cheers

Tanavras - 50 Mage - Laethys Server

Telaran

Oh and forgot to add (Since for some reason it won't let me edit my initial post)

"I picked the Death Attunement will switching negatively impact me because of that choice ?"

No mate, it will not overly affect you in anyway negatively. Just go with what and where you want to put your Planar points mate.

Cheers

Tanvaras - 50 Mage - Laethys Server

Champion

Thanks a ton for the info.. will definitely check out the merchant you speak of.. I have a couple of those plaque thingies I think from running Chronicles Hammer Knell.. unfortunately I have almost no planartire as I just bought that Vision thing for 25,000 for a quest.

Is there something about an Elemental spec over Necro.. I've become soo accustomed to the channeled Lifetap (Soul Purge) it's hard to imagine surviving without the healing effects when I have 43-4 lvl 51s beating on me. Do you have a suggested spec and spell rotation you could share ? Thanks again.

Chlorolock is a very effective way to solo Chronicles, just round them all up and AoE the mobs down.
    Use Mortality if in danger.
    Nope.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Chlorolock is a very effective way to solo Chronicles, just round them all up and AoE the mobs down.
    Use Mortality if in danger.
    is there a suggested template/spec ? any tips as to spell rotation ?

can't say thanks enough for taking the time to explain gear etc, after reading some other threads I thought for sure I was going to get ripped a new one for posting such n00blet questions.

I just use my standard raid-healing build which is 36 Chloro and 30 Warlock but it can definitely be optimised.
    Veev released a video of the spec he was using in this thread.
    Nope.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I just use my standard raid-healing build which is 36 Chloro and 30 Warlock but it can definitely be optimised.
    Veev released a video of the spec he was using in this thread.
    (Im running out of soul slots ;-) )..

Just tried a quick chronicle using Chloro Lock from Bluedot's posting(spec here http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...0zMo.xx0V0Vqxo iirc ).. I noticed that mana tends to get low quickly however on trash mobs life was always at 65% or better. I start by casting radiant spores (with photosynthesis, iirc, that adds 100% chance to aoe), then devouring aoe and corrosion I think. Makes quick work of equal level mobs however the elite ia a big problem, I tend to get down to 20% health quickly and have to blow through my CDs to stay alive and by time I've recovered my mana is now at around 30%. I know this is going to take some time getting used to and what not. I miis the pet taking the mob(s) brunt of attack but I can kill stuff noticably faster.

Champion

(hmm can't find an Edit button).. was just reading that Devouring Shadows only procs on Radiant Spores the 1st tick.. someone said some thing about a stop casting trick. Does this mean I move to stop the cast then recast it over and over ?

Thanks again for feidling all my questions.. wish the Mage forum had sub forums for each spec/soul.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by SirPent View Post
    Does this mean I move to stop the cast then recast it over and over ?
    You can move or use /stopcast command in macro. But that kind of boosting damage going to be fixed soon (so don't get used to it).

Telaran

Hello SirPent,

Chloro/Lock is awesome fun as well. But I do find it very gear dependant when pulling quite a few mobs into yourself. And being your said you were in lower end gear (due to not playing for sometime) if you are having issues with Chloro/Lock. Try using the Chloro/Ele til your gear improves then you should be having little issues with Chloro/lock.

I do run both builds as well (Chloro/Lock and Chloro/Ele) for Chronicles, and to be honest I blow through them just as fast with either build. Both builds I use I pull virtually the whole room where Murdantix is in HK chronicle and the mobs seem to die in around the same time in either build.

But being your having issues dropping to low health alot. My advice would be sit with the safer build with an Earth pet (Far superior in HP and defense/agro management then Necro pet) til your gear improves. Oh and also run those T1/T2 dungeons as much as possible to get your Plaques of Achievement as well to better your equipment. Your gear will improve in no time doing that

But overall mate, play the spec your having fun with. The Chronicles are not a speed race, Take your time and enjoy what you are doing. Even in Necro/lock its quite doable if you watch the pathing of some mobs, and pull them in small groups.

Cheers

Just wanted to give a quick note of thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, and to the OP for posting it. I'm in a similar situation, and finding this information extremely helpful to me, as well.

Cheers!

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Tanvaras View Post
    Hello SirPent,

Chloro/Lock is awesome fun as well. But I do find it very gear dependant when pulling quite a few mobs into yourself. And being your said you were in lower end gear (due to not playing for sometime) if you are having issues with Chloro/Lock. Try using the Chloro/Ele til your gear improves then you should be having little issues with Chloro/lock.

I do run both builds as well (Chloro/Lock and Chloro/Ele) for Chronicles, and to be honest I blow through them just as fast with either build. Both builds I use I pull virtually the whole room where Murdantix is in HK chronicle and the mobs seem to die in around the same time in either build.

But being your having issues dropping to low health alot. My advice would be sit with the safer build with an Earth pet (Far superior in HP and defense/agro management then Necro pet) til your gear improves. Oh and also run those T1/T2 dungeons as much as possible to get your Plaques of Achievement as well to better your equipment. Your gear will improve in no time doing that

But overall mate, play the spec your having fun with. The Chronicles are not a speed race, Take your time and enjoy what you are doing. Even in Necro/lock its quite doable if you watch the pathing of some mobs, and pull them in small groups.

Cheers

thanks a ton for the encouragement and even more tips. I've been trying the Chloro/Lock thing for the last day and it's quite a change from having a pet take the brunt and ME getting all the aggro.. I do like the added bonus of watching mobs die much much faster ;-) I do think I'll try the Elemental/Chloro soul next (I need a 4th and 5 sould slot ;p ) .. when I am Necro/Chloro/Achron Chroniciles seemed easy until I got to the Greenblight mini boss with the two wolves.. then drop my necro pet faster than I can heal even with scrolls/buffs/veils/bloom/etc all on my pet. I can't seem to get past there at all. Maybe I'm just not geared enough or that I'm playing the class wrong and have to relearn. I don't even dare to try as Chloro-Lock as the elite trees one by one take my mana waaay down. Even HK as such was hard.. I guess it's a matter of having to learn to play this new spec more effectively and figuring out how to setup and use macros instead of mouse clicking the 40+ icons on my bars.

What exactly are the T1/T2 dungeon names so I know what to look for ?

Sorry for the dumb question.. when I 1st leveled up when the game was released I did the dungen near meridian and the mines .. don't think I ever went beyond that as next thing I knew I had done a billion quests and dailies and I was in Stillmoor at level 46 (now 50).. here I am in whatever gear I find along the way/buy off AH or make with my 225 outfitter/300 runecrafter. Now with the Live Event it seems getting in dungeons maybe harder, which leads me to my next question.. (sorry this is a really really nub one).

What is a Necro's role in a group ?

As I mentioned I spent much of my time soloing due to wierd IRL scheduling and such and beyond lvl 20ish havent seemed to be in many groups (nor guilds). This has had the effect of not being able to learn my class' role in a group scene and haven't really had anyone else to mimick/learn by. When in a group should I just go Chloro as an off healer and hope to get gear that benefits my necro (I'd gladly let a real healer... ie cleric, have any +healer stuff).

Again thanks for the info and hope I don't burden you with such beginner type questions.. It's as though Rift is a new yet oddly familiar game with the passing of a mere few months.

Telaran

What exactly are the T1/T2 dungeon names so I know what to look for ?

Hello SirPent,

All the lowbie dungeons become lvl 50 versions some are T1 and some are T2. If you look on Dungeon finder (I Key) and choose Specific dungeon option bottom left corner you can see the dungeons listed per tier

What is a Necro's role in a group ?

Necro in groups is DPS mate, like most the rolls of mages is DPS.

Chloro is heals, Dominator and Archon are support classes.

The boss in GSB Chronicle (Oracle I think) that has the wolves, Chloro/Ele the tank pet can handle them easily mate. Synth the Tank pet ( if needed at ties the AOE healing buff is enough) and target through the tank pet and pew pew with Chloro skills to keep Tank healed and damaging the mobs = win Same with Greenie at the end mate.

Hope that helps and good hunting.

Cheers

Champion

Have to add that I switched to Ele/Chloro and FINALLY was able to complete Chronicles: GSB.. man oh MAN is that greater earth elemental a BEAST !! Hardest part was getting both of the wolves to aggro it instead of me then it was pretty much nuke nuke nuke heal rinse repeat until the Oracle came out then kill the lil glowing healy things and she went down... only now wish I could have a perfect Ele/Chloro/Warlock ;-) Thank a TON for the info again.. a damn shame most of the loot is BOP my rogue could have used the dagger/axe and rings I got. now just need to hope I get more caster gear.

+ Reply to Thread