+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stormcaller questions

Soulwalker

Default Stormcaller questions

Hey there. I'm relatively new to Rift and brand spanking new to mages. I'm intrigued by the Stormcaller soul and would very much like to become an effective mage, but all the soul builder guides I've been directed to say that the soul is complete trash and should be ignored at all costs.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a reliable mage builder site or offer some pointers?

Is Stormcaller really that big a waste of space?

Those guides are wrong if they think stormcaller is a waste of space. It might be in 1.6 but as of right now, they're pretty great for AE and ST dps.

They might say it's trash because the rotations are pretty hard. I'll go look for the links to builds and rotations for you. I'm sure if you look around you'll find some too. I don't know if bluedot has an up to date stormcaller rotation on his site(By up to date I mean with hailstorm included in the ST rotation). But I know bluedot's site is a good place to start.

FT 4/4(Conq) EE 5/5(Conq)ToDQ 4/4(Conq) HM 4/4 IDH 4/4 GA 4/4 IG 3/3 PB 1/5

Default hmm

Bluedot says Stormcaller/Elementalist is the single best AoE and Single Target damage build, and you can use either whenever you need them. A waste of space? I don't think so.

The way I play Stormcaller (Stormcaller/Elementalist, for mana regen/Chloro, for healing) is to have all the AoE spalls on the left side of my action bars in a cluster, and all the Single Target spells on the right side in a cluster. The middle cluster are shields, armors, heals, and mana regen.

Then all my support, buff, rez, etc spells are on the bottom row action bar.

This has been an immensely fun way to PvP for me. Port Scion has been great with this build and layout, considering most of the time most of the enemy team are all in a small group, making the AoE's very effective. If I see someone try to escape the area, I can pick them off with my Single Target abilities.

Perhaps the nerds who focus more on spread sheets and min/maxing and fancy rotations don't like this set up, but if you are just a normal person looking to have fun as a wicked awesome mage who has the best looking effects in the whole game and the ability to debuff and damage the entire other team all at once, Stormcaller is pretty awesome.

"Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!"

It doesn't matter where your abilities are on your bars, unless you're a clicker.

*gasps in shock*

All my bars are minimised in the corner so I can barely see them. I just keep my central bar unbound so I can see how long I have on cds.
    Nope.

Want to know the funny thing?

Bluedot didn't even know SC/Ele was the best ST dps spec until he joined a proper guild. He thought Necrolock was the best for the longest time. I laughed.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ChinesePanda View Post

Bluedot didn't even know SC/Ele was the best ST dps spec until he joined a proper guild. He thought Necrolock was the best for the longest time. I laughed.
    Isn't it? :<

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    It doesn't matter where your abilities are on your bars, unless you're a clicker.

*gasps in shock*

All my bars are minimised in the corner so I can barely see them. I just keep my central bar unbound so I can see how long I have on cds.
    even while pvping? Sounds highly suspect.
    TO OP- The mage community in this game is far from helpful most of the time. I would look at bluedots website for a beginners orientation. Then ask someone on your shard or guild who excels at the particular spec for theorycrafting and comparison, after trying out a spec that you enjoy. Your wasting your time on these forums looking for positive feedback.
    clic clack

Plane Touched

After seeing falidriel's numbers on murdantix as defile lock, it's pretty clear to me that warlock/necro is the best single target dps spec if you have the 4 piece hammer knell crystal. Unfortunately I don't have it so I can test it, but hopefully I can get one soon. Both sc/ele, pyro/ele and defile spec are all pretty competitive with each other imo.

Voodoo (US-Defiant, world 1st Akylios) is currently seeking exceptional rogue and mage applicants. Please check our recruitment thread for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by cliclack View Post
    even while pvping? Sounds highly suspect.
    Especially while pvping.
    If you can't see them, you can't click on them which means you need to learn them off by heart and eventually makes your responses faster and improves performance.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 10-12-2011 at 11:49 PM.
    Nope.

Soulwalker

To answer the OP, as a new mage you can safely pick any tree you like, as long as you complement that with one soul that has a pet.

So in your case, use Stormcaller as primary tree, and pickup Elementalist as second tree, the 1st pet you get in eleme tree will serve you well until around level 30. After that you want to get the greater pet.

The other option is to go for Necromancer pet .... or go for additional survivability with a Chloromancer soul. But you will generaly do better, faster kills and equally safe with a pet.

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChinesePanda View Post

What? Nothing in this post is accurate or relevant. I go to great lengths to encourage people to learn the pros/cons of their souls and builds so they can choose the best spec for the fight. There is never a "best spec for every fight" as you seem to indicate. I am surprised you don't understand this.

@OP: Learn the pros and cons of all your souls and builds! You can be middle of the pack by copying/pasting my builds. You can be outstanding by learning your souls, then modifying my builds to fit the fight and your raid composition.

If you wanna copy/paste (which is fine, this isn't a second job) I use SC/Ele for dungeon crawling and Necro/Lock for leveling. Links in my signature for more details.
    Edit: A number of people have had good thoughts/tips in this thread.. not trying to overwrite them.
    Last edited by bluedot; 10-13-2011 at 01:29 AM.

Rift Disciple

I'm currently levelling a Stormcaller (currently level 38) and I just love how fast I AOE nuke things in Dungeons, however even with a Greater Elementalist pet I find it difficult to level (especially on a PvP server). It requires you to be extra careful, in not to pull too many mobs, because you die quick without any heals or health regen.

Soulwalker

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I've been reading up on the other souls out there and trying to find the one that fits how I think I'll play her. So far, I'm leaning toward SC and elementalist with that handy dandy transmogrifying spell tossed in for S&G.

+ Reply to Thread