+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zartanic

Thread: Whats a good build for a tough solo mage?

Soulwalker

Default Whats a good build for a tough solo mage?

Fairly new around here, so I apologize if its an obvious question. I /assume/ its some cholomancer/pet soul build (heal up and have the pet tank) to keep yourself safe at all times - not quick but tough. However I am open to ideas. :-) I am running a pretty standard Elementalist / Pyromancer build now and it dishes a fair amount of damage but it still pretty fragile once the pet gets knocked down.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for the help for a newbie!

Sincerely,
    The Zen Crane

Champion

What situation are you wanting it for? Are you levelling or at 50? Do you want to solo Chronicles or PvE dailies that involve Elites? What gear level are you? Are you on a PvP or PvE server?

Soulwalker

Default Great questions!

I am leveling, although the question was more me thinking about max level soloing of Chronicles / Elites. Obviously since I am leveling, my gear level is pretty crappy. I am on a PvE server.

Sword of Telara

Necro/Lock is the easiest and fastest leveling spec in my opinion.
    Chloro/Ele is very good to solo elites or chronicles.

Rift Disciple

I like soloing with Stormcaller/elementalist (what most people use as a dps spec) because the pet is EXTREMELY tough, much tougher than the classic necro/lock build. With the points into Improved Quickened Elements, your pet is healing 25% of its health PER TICK. This makes it able to stand up against almost anything.

It is true that once the pet is down, you're in trouble, but that's the tradeoff. A pet being healed with Quickened Elements is FAR tougher than the necrolock is, and isn't even dependent on charge to heal itself, with the healing taking almost-no mana (it's really cheap). But once it's on you, hope that it's almost dead, as you ARE fairly squishy. So the "time to kill" after pet death is much shorter than with a necrolock, but the time before that is usually infinite.

I'd recommend trying both actually. Some people prefer necrolock (my wife does), while I much prefer the "very tough pet" of the SC/elementalist build. Single-target, I almost-never pull agro from my pet, and the AE power of the SC kills everything before any significant damage comes to me from an agro pull, though often the pet keeps even AE agro. But as I said, it's personal preference.

Champion

Pretty much what others have said. Necro/Lock for levelling. Safest solo build is Chloro/Ele but it is quite slow. I run a 22/33/11 Necro/Lock/Chloro for Chronicles/Elites and it's much faster than Chloro/Ele but is more risky as the Necro pet can't take the punishment that Rocky can. Full Necro/Lock would be even faster but even riskier.

Necro Lock for levelling and I run a Chloro/Lock build for soloing chronicles, find it much faster than Ele/Chloro.

Default So...

I solo like maybe 99.999% of the time, and I have tried several builds. Here are my thoughts:

1: Chlorolock: Very hard to kill with all the healing! Great AoE DoTs for equal or lesser level targets. However very difficult to defeat higher level enemies/elites, and even when things are going well, soloing is pretty slow considering the lack of high damage based abilities. Use Chlorolock if you want to make darn sure you won't die much, but the trade-off is your time vs kills ratio, thus experience per hour, is not that great. Use Chlorolock to take out camps of equal or lower level mobs, or just to play safe and sane with little dying.

2: Dominator (w/Chloro "Bloom" and Archmage): You are squishy, and will die pretty fast, if the enemy can get to you. Luckily, it's hard to run up on a Dominator, considering you can squirrel Target A, stun Target B, then have your Split Personality kill Target C, then B, then A. However, once your lovely black and purple ghosties are gone you are a sitting duck for a while. Damage comes in bursts, so there is some waiting for abilities to cool down. Use Dominator for single target fights, such as with much higher levels or Elites, since they will never get a chance to hit you. If they do, you're toast though, so be bold, stand your ground, and get scared later.

3: Elementalist (w/Chloro "Bloom"): Easy Mode pet build. Your tank pet is actually a pretty good tank, for a pet. Your low level Chloro abilities slowly heal your tank. You can stay far away enough so that if your tank gets knocked out faster than you can heal him, you can pop your Ice Shield, turn around, and get away. Pretty good Single Target damage with Icy Carapace and Crystalline Missile spam. Pretty good AoE damage with the two fire spells, especially wen you hit your 'make elemental damage higher' button, while your tank continues to keep agro off you. I would suggest this as your default solo mage build, since the tempo is slow, the 'rotations' are obvious, and the distance between you and the things that want to kill you is pretty far. You can also sic your tank elemental on a very tough Elite, and just keep healing your pet over and over, giving you the ability to (sometimes) kill stuff way above your level.

4: NecroLock: More involved pet build. If you want to micromanage your fights a bit more than with Elementalist, then try this one. Necro pets kill faster IMO than Elementalist pets, which is nice, but I don't think the tank Necro pet is as effective. I like NecroLock, but not for soloing, even though it was the darling solo/leveling build a few months ago. I just think Elementalist is better for a solo mage. I have read that NecoLock has some great stats for single target damage, but I think you get agro'd a lot more than is fun, personally. Some people prefer this build for solo leveling.

5: Stormcaller: Pretty bad for soloing. You run out of mana in a few seconds. You agro everything around you. You have no tank to protect you. You have no heals. You will die. Wait until you are doing Level 50 Warfronts for Stormcaller, at which point, it's awesome.

6: Archon: Pointless for soloing.

7: Pyro: Mana drain. No heals. Lots of damage though, so make sure you kill what you are aiming at as fast as possible. A popular Pyro build is PyroElementalist, since you get some great damage buffs, AoE, mana recharge, and a pet to hold agro. I thought it was sort of boring next to a pure Elementalist, personally, and it seems when things wrong wrong, you are dead in a few seconds. Not fun to me while soloing.

My typical method of solo leveling to 50 was running as a pure Elementalist, and switching to pure Dominator to take out a camp or Elite as fast as possible, hoping I we be safe by the time my Split Personality was over.

Note: I have no proof whatsoever of any of these claims. They are just memories and observations of real world soloing and leveling. I play what's fun for me to play at the time, and I don't obsess over stats, parse results, spread sheets, or pre-made builds someone else uses.

Plane Walker

Op is also depends on your gear. I do most of chronicles with Pyro/Ele as I can nuke hard. But as said you will probably find Chlorolock best for the harder fights in any part of the game. It's just a bit slow. Just mix and match. You have up to 5 specs to play with and you can switch them as you go to see which works best for you under different circumstances. Mages are a very versatile class.

EDIT: The poster above has given some great advice to get started with.
    Last edited by Zartanic; 10-12-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Soulwalker

I just started playing again, and I'm finding the Necrolock with Chlor to be a pretty decent way to go about leveling. I like being able to heal myself with a drain type spell and at 31 my Skeleton Knight seems to tank very well, better than the Tank pet from Ele. (I'm assuming the rock guy is the tank?). I didn't like the lack of healing with the ele build either.

Of course I'm new, but this is what worked best for me.

+ Reply to Thread